Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Werewolf: The Apocalypse from Paradox

http://nichegamer.com/2017/01/20/par...-and-consoles/
    Following their acquisition of the Vampire: The Masquerade property owner, White Wolf, many fans have been speculating what Paradox Interactive will put out from the company’s various intellectual properties. Despite a curious trademark for Vampire Bloodlines being filed by the company, we haven’t seen a new White Wolf game come to light – until now.

The company has announced Werewolf: The Apocalypse, a game based on the tabletop game of the same name from White Wolf. Developed by Styx: Master of Shadows developer Cyanide Studio, the game is set for a release on PC and consoles under publisher Focus Home Interactive.

“The World of Darkness universe has always attracted creatives with a strong passion for telling dark and immersive stories,” Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf said in the press release. “So to work closely with the great talent at Focus Home and Cyanide exploring the Werewolves of this universe is an absolutely fantastic experience for us at White Wolf and we are more than excited to see this great IP realised in a videogame.”

Players will take up the role of a Garou, or a werewolf warrior. The protagonist has a natural opposition to urban civilization and the destruction humanity brings with it. Garou are born to fight The Wyrm, or brings over the apocalypse.

“The world is dying. When will you Rage? The core question of Werewolf: The Apocalypse is more relevant today than ever before and the cooperation with Focus and Cyanide will finally give gamers the opportunity to revel in the raw power and primal spirituality of the Garou,” Martin Ericsson, lead story teller of White Wolf said in a statement.

“What is the price of saving the world with fang and claw? Find out for yourself as we explore the darkest corners of a dying planet.”

That’s all we really have to go off for now – the game’s genre, mechanics, and so on are still to be revealed. Focus Home is promising the first real look at the game during their event at this year’s What’s Next, in Paris, from February 1st to the 2nd. We’ll keep you guys posted.
    It starts...

Even though everyone who cares is still waiting to hear anything about a new V:TM Bloodlines.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, same devs as Styx. Styx was a good game, but hopefully this'll be an RPG.

About time they went with something other than friggin vampires for a World of Darkness game. I am actually curious about this game.

Ill keep my eye on this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Paradox is going down the toilet right now so im not even remotely slighly interested in what they plan next. Their latest releases are garbage, bad quality and a waste of money.

Especially HoI 4 is just a cash grab.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    Especially HoI 4 is just a cash grab.
    HoI4 is great. The latest dlc is a cash grab joke though.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, this could be fun. I've never really been a fan of the Werewolves in WoD, but if done well they could make a pretty strong RPG based on this format.

although, given the current trends it'll either be a DS level ballbuster, or an FPS, which makes me a sad panda.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Its nice to see something other than the gothlarp series of WoD get some love again. There were a few Hunter games back in the day, a cancelled werewolf game and rumours of a promethean/mage/changeling game like Bloodlines but i never thought we would see more than "90's malltrash goth fetish vampires" out of WoD games ever again.
    Personally never played Werewolf but the idea of the megacorp ruining the world through lots of little things like polluting and putting more toxic stuff in cheap brand foods with a lovecraftian old god undertone was always interesting, could make for a fun game. Or a cringefest.

This is whats left of the old cancelled one by the way.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-01-21 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its nice to see something other than the gothlarp series of WoD get some love again. There were a few Hunter games back in the day, a cancelled werewolf game and rumours of a promethean/mage/changeling game like Bloodlines but i never thought we would see more than "90's malltrash goth fetish vampires" out of WoD games ever again.
    Personally never played Werewolf but the idea of the megacorp ruining the world through lots of little things like polluting and putting more toxic stuff in cheap brand foods with a lovecraftian old god undertone was always interesting, could make for a fun game. Or a cringefest.
    Trust me, Werewolf can be just as cringy as Vampire at times. Things got really silly when they decided they needed splatbooks for all the different were-critters out there, but this was true of most of the game lines as time went on since they really didn't have a road map of where everything was supposed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Trust me, Werewolf can be just as cringy as Vampire at times. Things got really silly when they decided they needed splatbooks for all the different were-critters out there, but this was true of most of the game lines as time went on since they really didn't have a road map of where everything was supposed to go.
    Vampire went the way of Lord of the Rings, etc... that people that didn't know about it, have seen spinoffs and such at this point in more mainstream media. Not that Vampire was all that original to begin with, being derivative of Anne Rice and the genre's forefathers.

But Werewolf is much less mainstream, and especially some of the more obscure aspects of it are kinda neat. Especially when you see them pop up in a more generic form in *other* games/media.

Personally, I thought Mage and Changeling were some of the most interesting setting supplements to read, but difficult/impossible to translate well to a videogame (or even their intended usage of tabletop/LARP)

Personally, I'm really enjoying Paradox currently, if you understand how they design games, and are prepared to *not* jump immediately onto something at launch.

I'm kinda interested what they're going to do with this title though, as I enjoy Paradox for their grand strategy.... and well... a strategy game (not x-com styled) based on the whitewolf 'verse... could be interesting... but RPG usually goes RPG, and that could be weird coming from this developer's strengths.

Oh believe me i know, back in University one of my projects i was leading a crew on was a documentary for local hobby stores and it involved the ultimate cringe fest of a bunch of morbidly obese neckbeard and legbeard stereotypes eating buckets of fried chicken around a table out of breath and struggling to talk about "the sanguine beauty of the sabat" and it was a very sobering sight to see the 20 somethings of the 90's end up playing out their buffy/anne rice fantasies like that. It cant apply to the whole userbase of vampire but man that was a strange evening.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am... hesitant to be excited about this.

We've gone through, what, three failed/cancelled White Wolf games now, over the past decade? I was excited, literally ecstatic, when CCP bought WW. Something active with the IP... and then they just boxed it up indefinitely.

I'm fairly certain this is just going to be another cash grab of developer money before it folds... But at the same time, I'd really like to see something cool of it too.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Personally, I thought Mage and Changeling were some of the most interesting setting supplements to read, but difficult/impossible to translate well to a videogame (or even their intended usage of tabletop/LARP)
    Hands down my best experience with WoD games was a promotional LARP for the launch of the NWOD Changeling. But, then again, it seems to me like they got all the best MET players in the company to show up for that one, so it's obviously going to be a cut above the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Goddamnit. I loved Werewolf. And I was much happier seeing W20 in Onyx Path's hand's than some third rate foreign studio. I'm praying Onyx can get the licensing back so we can see some GOOD games get made.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, there are fat neckbeards in EVERY gaming genre. You think WoW or Halo players aren't chock full of em? But there are definitely groups out there wih fit, gainfully employed individuals who use entertainment as a form of creative expression and social bonding. Hell, one of my best friends got in shape BECAUSE of Werewolf. Guy was literally all "fuck, my character can throw a car and I can't even bench 50 lbs, I need to unfuck myself" and now he's winning bodybuilding competitions. Food for thought man!
    Oh it wasn't an appearance thing, it was a 'lost to time thing'. This was people very, very firmly stuck in the 1990's which in retrospect seems a little ironic when they are sitting around a table rp'ing things that live forever, unchanging.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I am... hesitant to be excited about this.

We've gone through, what, three failed/cancelled White Wolf games now, over the past decade? I was excited, literally ecstatic, when CCP bought WW. Something active with the IP... and then they just boxed it up indefinitely.

I'm fairly certain this is just going to be another cash grab of developer money before it folds... But at the same time, I'd really like to see something cool of it too.
    Did you miss that White Wolf is no longer with CCP?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...olf-Publishing

Hands down my best experience with WoD games was a promotional LARP for the launch of the NWOD Changeling. But, then again, it seems to me like they got all the best MET players in the company to show up for that one, so it's obviously going to be a cut above the rest.
    I think Changeling, especially in this day and age would be very very tough to pull off. In most of the base stories its effectively forcing the player into the role of a victim of kidnapping and abuse. Changeling has always seemed far darker than the vampires and undead stuff if only because it seems like the sort of thing that a lot of people might find really uncomfortable, or worse hitting too close to home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you miss that White Wolf is no longer with CCP?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...olf-Publishing
    Yeah, that's what I meant. CCP was #2 or 3 in the line on cancelling things before being handed off to someone else to do nothing with.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I think Changeling, especially in this day and age would be very very tough to pull off.
    Oh definitely changeling over any of the other "big 3"

Werewolf, Vampire, and Mage generally focus on elements of "Good vs Evil / Right vs Wrong" or Clan/Faction infighting over differences of opinion.

While I think the "nature of reality" conflict in Mage would be difficult to portray in a videogame, I think the "Creativity war" in Changeling would be... almost impossible.

Maybe a Telltale-style interactive Movie would be the best medium for these ? Especially if they start !@#$ing with the way the game even plays depending on how things turn out. (at least for Mage/Changeling)

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Oh definitely changeling over any of the other "big 3"

Werewolf, Vampire, and Mage generally focus on elements of "Good vs Evil / Right vs Wrong" or Clan/Faction infighting over differences of opinion.

While I think the "nature of reality" conflict in Mage would be difficult to portray in a videogame, I think the "Creativity war" in Changeling would be... almost impossible.

Maybe a Telltale-style interactive Movie would be the best medium for these ? Especially if they start !@#$ing with the way the game even plays depending on how things turn out. (at least for Mage/Changeling)
    I've seen a few players try and write stories to get around the tough to play parts of Changeling like WW1 soldiers lost on the battlefield that find themselves in a town thats really the hedge and when they get out its a century later, but a lot of them are real close to "goat man kidnaps you and makes you into sex slave for years, you escaped or was let out as prey to hunt and a doppelgänger replaced you and you are now a broken freak from what happened to you". Which in this day and age is shit that would never ever fly in a mainstream game. There is dark and then there is dark.

I've seen a few players try and write stories to get around the tough to play parts of Changeling like WW1 soldiers lost on the battlefield that find themselves in a town thats really the hedge and when they get out its a century later, but a lot of them are real close to "goat man kidnaps you and makes you into sex slave for years, you escaped or was let out as prey to hunt and a doppelgänger replaced you and you are now a broken freak from what happened to you". Which in this day and age is shit that would never ever fly in a mainstream game. There is dark and then there is dark.
    I believe Halicia is talking about old Changeling: The Dreaming.

It is a very different beast from Changeling: The Lost.