Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    That is not a fact. I received silver rank 1980 after my 10 placement matches last night (01/19/2017). I lost 6 won 4. My friend who played all 10 with me, received 900 bronze. There is no way its based on W/L%.
    After placement, it more or less is. You can only gain rank by winning and you only lose rank by losing. Period. There supposedly is a hidden ELO system as well, but it's hidden...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    After placement, it more or less is. You can only gain rank by winning and you only lose rank by losing. Period. There supposedly is a hidden ELO system as well, but it's hidden...
    Ive heard of the hidden rank, but I wonder how they could accurately determine skill. Like, would sticking to the meta count as "skill"? Do they track your accuracy? Would your skill stats be skewed if you ever faced off vs a team at a lower rank than you?

Its a mathematics nightmare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive heard of the hidden rank, but I wonder how they could accurately determine skill. Like, would sticking to the meta count as "skill"? Do they track your accuracy? Would your skill stats be skewed if you ever faced off vs a team at a lower rank than you?

ELO is a fairly well understood system, but I keep seeing really bad implementations of it in video games. No real way to know how well Blizzard did, since they wont tell anyone.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account

While we don't have any details, Blizz HAS said that it's weighted by the relative skill levels of the teams (so winning against a higher-ranked team wins you more and losing loses you less), and a big part of how they track "player skill" is the "on-fire" status they have. The "meta" isn't an in-game "thing", so it's not tracked at all.

That is not a fact. I received silver rank 1980 after my 10 placement matches last night (01/19/2017). I lost 6 won 4. My friend who played all 10 with me, received 900 bronze. There is no way its based on W/L%.
    Did you ever win a game and didn't gain or lost rank? Did you ever lose and didn't lose or gain rank?

Win = increase in rank
    Loss = decrease in rank

It certainly is based around wins and loses. Placement's don't matter. It just takes your rank from previous system and checks (via wins and loses) if you're still around the same winpercentage. If it's your first time ever in comp, it runs the same check but then it uses your quick play MMR instead of your previous season rank. There was even a developer update on how matchmaking works.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not really "dubious reasons"; the issue is that any alternative would have to be punitive enough to leavers that a 6-man team couldn't rotate someone quitting seconds before a loss, to give their 5 friends a "pass" on a loss they earned, while taking a small enough penalty that it's ignorable.
    Thats simple enough to counteract that. If you are in a group, someone in your group leaving means you take the loss just like normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Did you ever win a game and didn't gain or lost rank? Did you ever lose and didn't lose or gain rank?

Win = increase in rank
    Loss = decrease in rank

It certainly is based around wins and loses. Placement's don't matter. It just takes your rank from previous system and checks (via wins and loses) if you're still around the same winpercentage. If it's your first time ever in comp, it runs the same check but then it uses your quick play MMR instead of your previous season rank. There was even a developer update on how matchmaking works.
    That explains why my friend must have gotten bronze. Hes never played a season with me, or at all.

Is there a way to know your QMatch MMR? Is there a website like HoTSlogs.com?

That explains why my friend must have gotten bronze. Hes never played a season with me, or at all.

Is there a way to know your QMatch MMR? Is there a website like HoTSlogs.com?
    Not really. Like most have said, it's a big mystery as to how the MMR itself is calculated. It's possible however to check the competitive ranks of the people who you play against/with in QP, this should give a good indication. It's most of the time around 500 lower, since you're more likely to play characters you are less good at.
    As far as precisely checking it. No, there's no way to do that.
    It could also be that your friend plays mostly tanks/supports and you play mainly dps. It used to be that dps got more rank than supps and tanks, but I don't know if that's even a fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draex View Post
    No I mean the leaver gets a massive penalty, but the people who stick till the end get immunity from downrank. The opposition who won still get their win gain.
    Never gonna happen, that's massively abusable

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While we don't have any details, Blizz HAS said that it's weighted by the relative skill levels of the teams (so winning against a higher-ranked team wins you more and losing loses you less), and a big part of how they track "player skill" is the "on-fire" status they have. The "meta" isn't an in-game "thing", so it's not tracked at all.
    Seems a bit strange to use "on-fire" though as the tracker, unless it's based on the character you're playing.

It's far too easy to be "on-fire" with a healer, or Roadhog, while it can become a challenge for others like Mei. Especially since things like blocking damage don't seem to come into play.

Either that, or I suck at everything except healers and Roadhog.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hououin Kyouma View Post
    Seems a bit strange to use "on-fire" though as the tracker, unless it's based on the character you're playing.

It's far too easy to be "on-fire" with a healer, or Roadhog, while it can become a challenge for others like Mei. Especially since things like blocking damage don't seem to come into play.

Either that, or I suck at everything except healers and Roadhog.
    Zenyatta is probably the easiest to be on fire with, and supposedly in S1 and S2 Zenyattas gained less SR than other heroes. (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...ic/20751975870)