Thread: Tiny House

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Tiny House

I can't be the only one totally hyped about the idea of living in a tiny house on wheels.

Is it just me?

http://thetinylife.com/what-is-the-tiny-house-movement/

Simply put, it is a social movement where people are choosing to downsize the space they live in. The typical American home is around 2,600 square feet, whereas the typical small or tiny house is between 100 and 400 square feet. Tiny houses come in all shapes, sizes, and forms, but they enable simpler living in a smaller, more efficient space.

People are joining this movement for many reasons, but the most popular reasons include environmental concerns, financial concerns, and the desire for more time and freedom. For most Americans 1/3 to 1/2 of their income is dedicated to the roof over their heads; this translates to 15 years of working over your lifetime just to pay for it, and because of it 76% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

So what is the alternative? One solution might be to live smaller. While we don’t think tiny houses are for everyone, there are lessons to be learned and applied in order to escape the cycle of debt in which almost 70% of Americans are trapped.

Worst series on HGTV.

Family of 6 in a 300sq. ft trailer? Issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drakensoul View Post
    Worst series on HGTV.

Family of 6 in a 300sq. ft trailer? Issues.
    Well, yeah. It's probably not ideal for a family, but living in a tighter space but being mobile just speaks to me.

I love tiny homes, a lot of people are excited about them. It's actually cheaper to build on a foundation, if local building codes permit (tiny homes are often too small square footage wise to be approved as full-time residences).

https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ my favorite tiny home builder (they're fucking expensive if you purchase one fully built, though)
    https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Homes-Sh.../dp/0936070528 my favorite tiny home book (I have this one my bookshelf)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/relaxshacksDOTcom one of my favorite tiny home channels on Youtube.

I want to build my own, but it will likely be on a foundation on some off-grid property somewhere, probably with an alternative material like cob or hempcrete. There are some really good ideas out there if you're into the idea of building your own home and it can be done relatively cheap (10-20k DIY).

It's just you. Congrats, you won a special snowflake sticker!

EDIT: OK, Celista stole a half of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I love tiny homes, a lot of people are excited about them. It's actually cheaper to build on a foundation, if local building codes permit (tiny homes are often too small square footage wise to be approved as full-time residences).

https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ my favorite tiny home builder (they're fucking expensive if you purchase one fully built, though)
    https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Homes-Sh.../dp/0936070528 my favorite tiny home book (I have this one my bookshelf)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/relaxshacksDOTcom one of my favorite tiny home channels on Youtube.

I want to build my own, but it will likely be on a foundation on some off-grid property somewhere, probably with an alternative material like cob or hempcrete. There are some really good ideas out there if you're into the idea of building your own home and it can be done relatively cheap (10-20k DIY).
    Yeah, apparently it's doable to build your own.

There's a communitty near downtown Orlando that's like, 2 hours from me. I'm gonna legit start getting this thing going.

I could see this catching more steam in hype sooner than later, especially as millenials get older.

What do we do when a system fucks us economically? We improvise, that's what.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no you're not alone Bigzo!
    I love them. I've been telling the wife that when the kids grow up and move out I want to move into one one a nice secluded piece of land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    There's a communitty near downtown Orlando that's like, 2 hours from me. I'm gonna legit start getting this thing going.

I could see this catching more steam in hype sooner than later, especially as millenials get older.

Ah, so that's why there's a page dedicated to shipping container houses: http://www.containerhomeplans.org/ You could even attach some wheels and make a hybrid of the two ideas.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Ah, so that's why there's a page dedicated to shipping container houses: http://www.containerhomeplans.org/ You could even attach some wheels and make a hybrid of the two ideas.
    Yeah man: Everything you need and ever own, on wheels. You can go wherever you want.

That sounds amazinnng

It's just you. Congrats, you won a special snowflake sticker!

EDIT: OK, Celista stole a half of it.
    Damn it, always having to share my snowflake stickers

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Yeah, apparently it's doable to build your own.

*thumbs up* there are workshops and DIY books that you can look into, the hardest part by far will be the electrical which you can probably outsource if you don't want to bother. Also plumbing but really plumbing is minor in comparison. The relaxshacks.com website (not Youtube page) has some workshops you could look into, I don't recommend Tumbleweed's workshops as they are WAY WAY overpriced and most people I know who went to them do not recommend them.

If you want to do traditional housing then you should look into things like FHA loans that require evidence of a 2-year work history and some baseline of credit (I think it's something god awful low like a 580 credit score), then you're approved for a loan with a 3.5% down payment in comparison to the usual 20ish. My friend Kristina got a condo in a trendy part of Chicago for something around 100k, with 3k down.

I'm thinking of moving to Southern Oregon and living in a yurt for awhile. I have serious hippie tendencies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming soon

Flying Houses have your own little domestic Command center.

<.<
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

That's because you're a woman and at best you can get .77 of a sticker compared to a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Coming soon

Flying Houses have your own little domestic Command center.

<.<
    You mean like Death Star? Count me in!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably feel super cramped in something that small. Especially with 2 cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    I'd probably feel super cramped in something that small. Especially with 2 cats.
    Dafuq did you do to your username? :3

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean like Death Star? Count me in!

More of on a smaller scale but that would be cool someday.

"In the year 3000, humans have flying houses in space."

What is with women and cats(Except my mother apparently)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Yeah they're pretty neat, although I'd want to at least have a decent internet connection and accessible by drone delivery. The Government over here is actually making it easier to get planning permission for smaller buildings like these and since so much of Scotland is uninhabited with some really spectacular scenery, it'll probably pick up pace pretty fast. Dunno if I'd be able to handle it full time (I like the City) but it'd be nice for a getaway.

10+ Year Old Account

*thumbs up* there are workshops and DIY books that you can look into, the hardest part by far will be the electrical which you can probably outsource if you don't want to bother. Also plumbing but really plumbing is minor in comparison. The relaxshacks.com website (not Youtube page) has some workshops you could look into, I don't recommend Tumbleweed's workshops as they are WAY WAY overpriced and most people I know who went to them do not recommend them.

If you want to do traditional housing then you should look into things like FHA loans that require evidence of a 2-year work history and some baseline of credit (I think it's something god awful low like a 580 credit score), then you're approved for a loan with a 3.5% down payment in comparison to the usual 20ish. My friend Kristina got a condo in a trendy part of Chicago for something around 100k, with 3k down.

I'm thinking of moving to Southern Oregon and living in a yurt for awhile. I have serious hippie tendencies.
    Hippies are the best people to hang around/smoke with.

There's a Hippie/SJWish communitty that lives in rural Missouri that seems like heaven. I forget its name though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dafuq did you do to your username? :3
    Im a pretty princess! \o/

Also, needed a small change

I like the concept and find it pretty clever what people have come up with but at the same time I would rather just get a shuttle bus and convert it into an RV.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    If you can't carry all of your belongings in like,2-3 suitcases, you have too much stuff.