Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Hands up I am no expert in the political history of American history of Presidents so perhaps stuff like this has already occurred but from an outsider the amount of crazy happening over Trump is bewildering to me. Protests, riots and seemingly a country completely divided almost aggressively because of one man, it's awfully worrying. Do you think 2016/2017 will be recorded as a stain in your history books? I don't recall seeing as much friction regarding Clinton, Bush & Obama. I understand Presidents usually get negative attention eventually but not immediately
    I do not expect Trump to be something that the USA survives (if it is going to, it needs to get rid of him, within the bounds of law, swiftly). It is my suspicion that, a century or centuries from now, the Presidency of Donald Trump will be viewed not as a "stain", but rather the inevitable culmination of American History, or perhaps the culmination of America's flaws; i.e. the End of the American Republic, and its disintegration, or evolution into some-sort of empire, or degradation into a novel form of nation: large and post-1st world.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Trump is not the cause of America's paroxysms - he is merely a symptom (though being expressed via Trump will give events their own uniquely greedy, amoral, and noveau rich fillip): religion, race, class, privilege, power, wealth and its distribution, a vulnerable political and judicial system, an entire apparatus that runs on unwritten rules as much as formal Rule of Law, and more, along with an epic edifice of inequality and a truly vast lack of education or self-awareness, and all of it filtered through a communications network that is unprecedented in human history since the invention of speech and that verges on (slightly laggy) telepathy. All this is coming to a gigantic crescendo, and there are no patches or clever evasions that will hold for more than a generation (if that).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Yeah, pretty much.
    This is irrevocably the dumbest, most insulting president you've ever had. The rest of the world looks at him and shake their heads in dismay.
    It's a joke. A farce.
    Don't really wanna hear that from the country that has almost crashed it's welfare system by importing it's own ghetto from Nigeria.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I do not expect Trump to be something that the USA survives .
    Why are you fear mongering?

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Considering fascism is a far right wing ideology, no, you have no fucking clue what it means.
    maybe you need to read about fascism and how fascist behaved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    maybe you need to read about fascism and how fascist behaved.
    Well, early Mussolini is pretty much Trump's Italian-speaking copy, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Explain to me what part of the American political structure allows an authoritarian figure to rise to prominence. The USA has a thing called checks and balances. I won't hold my breath for a logical answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vallcorr View Post
    Honestly, who cares about inauguration numbers.
    Trump seems to care. He seems to care a great deal.

and "liberal democrats"in the streets right now act like blackshirts so...

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    I think you're missing something with regards to this, that three groups of people best representing America as a nation, it's self image, tradition and civil religion, voted for Trump.

The Military voted for Trump.
    The Veterans voted for Trump.
    The Police voted for Trump.

They didn't so because they're bigoted assholes. These people represent the very core of America in it's traditions, civil religion and self image and they all, overwhelmingly with high turnout, voted for Trump.

Maybe that's just a representation of how angry these groups were at Obama and the Democrats, Obama had a 16% approval rating with the military.
    I think you have the wrong country there, in America we have a democracy, not a military dictatorship. One of the proudest traditions of this country is that the military has always remained subordinate to civilian authority, never the other way around. The day we let the army decide policy is the day we start our irrevocable slide into the crapper.

Thankyou for describing the past 8 yrs of govt.

I do not expect Trump to be something that the USA survives (if it is going to, it needs to get rid of him, within the bounds of law, swiftly). It is my suspicion that, a century or centuries from now, the Presidency of Donald Trump will be viewed not as a "stain", but rather the inevitable culmination of American History, or perhaps the culmination of America's flaws; i.e. the End of the American Republic, and its disintegration, or evolution into some-sort of empire, or degradation into a novel form of nation: large and post-1st world.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Trump is not the cause of America's paroxysms - he is merely a symptom (though being expressed via Trump will give events their own uniquely greedy, amoral, and noveau rich fillip): religion, race, class, privilege, power, wealth and its distribution, a vulnerable political and judicial system, an entire apparatus that runs on unwritten rules as much as formal Rule of Law, and more, along with an epic edifice of inequality and a truly vast lack of education or self-awareness, and all of it filtered through a communications network that is unprecedented in human history since the invention of speech and that verges on (slightly laggy) telepathy. All this is coming to a gigantic crescendo, and there are no patches or clever evasions that will hold for more than a generation (if that).
    When did Americans become cowards? Its like your team losing the super bowl and you suddenly find the NFL a "stain" to society. Why are Americans so cynical, when did the rest of the glass get emptied? It wasn't because of Trump, he wasn't involved, look to who you voted for as a clue.
    Surely this article isnt supporting the defunct rich elitist, self serving politicos who got served.
    The election wasn't about a man, it was about us...the lost, forgotten and ignored American who finally spoke up, and elected a non politician. We should be celebrating democracy and the American dream, and support the forgotten idea that in America anything is possible, and there is still a place for patriotism, and a government run by the people and for the people. What do you believe in? Stop your cyclical arguments, you'll always find out YOU are responsible; put your big boy pants on, and lets improve our world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's more like if you put Hitler, Mussolini, Berlusconi and some dihydroxyacetone (or carrots) in a blender, what you pour out at the end looks a lot like Trump - Clio is clever, and while she does like to re-use her previous work, she mixes and rhymes instead of repeating (with rare exceptions where she turns tragedy into farce, which does sound like a good description of the Trump Administration already).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Trump seems to care. He seems to care a great deal.
    Trump is responding to the MSM making the numbers a big deal. If the MSM media wasn't pushing this he wouldn't have to respond to it. Fact is tons of americans watch MSM such as CNN and MSNBC. As i outlined in another post on an earlier page. Obama getting elected was incredibly historic because he became the first person of color to reach the white house. He broke a color barrier, he did something that had never been done before. Trump was the 44th white man to assume the role, it wasn't as big a deal. But don't tell the MSM that. They want to compare apples to oranges.

Edit: In before trump is an orange man.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Are you hitting on @Skroe?
    I like italian and colombian woman, they're cute lol
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

@Skroe... Really? You're picky about what the oval office looks like? Honestly who gives a flying fuck what the carpet or the drapes look like.
    Slate brought it up. Oval office decor is always a curiosity of the incoming Administration because they always put a personal spin on it.

Furthermore, as has been true since the days of Kennedy, optics matter. The Oval office is essentially a stage for Presidential optics, which is how the President looks to the American people. When actual work needs to be done, it's done in places like this.

For his part, Obama didn't like the Oval office as a stage, which is why it was rarely seen in addresses throughout his presidency. He prefered the East Room for speeches other President's would have given in the Oval office.

Trump is responding to the MSM making the numbers a big deal. If the MSM media wasn't pushing this he wouldn't have to respond to it. Fact is tons of americans watch MSM such as CNN and MSNBC. As i outlined in another post on an earlier page. Obama getting elected was incredibly historic because he became the first person of color to reach the white house. He broke a color barrier, he did something that had never been done before. Trump was the 44th white man to assume the role, it wasn't as big a deal. But don't tell the MSM that. They want to compare apples to oranges.

Edit: In before trump is an orange man.
    Bro. Just give up. I did.

You forget. You are arguing and debating with people who think that
    We bombed our own buildings. There is no reasoning with them.

And the "In Before" is late. One of them already called him orange as well as hitler. Hah!

You just can't argue / debate with the irrational.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greylegend View Post
    When did Americans become cowards? Its like your team losing the super bowl and you suddenly find the NFL a "stain" to society. Why are Americans so cynical, when did the rest of the glass get emptied? It wasn't because of Trump, he wasn't involved, look to who you voted for as a clue.
    Surely this article isnt supporting the defunct rich elitist, self serving politicos who got served.
    The election wasn't about a man, it was about us...the lost, forgotten and ignored American who finally spoke up, and elected a non politician. We should be celebrating democracy and the American dream, and support the forgotten idea that in America anything is possible, and there is still a place for patriotism, and a government run by the people and for the people. What do you believe in? Stop your cyclical arguments, you'll always find out YOU are responsible; put your big boy pants on, and lets improve our world.
    I am neither an American resident (for several years now) nor an American citizen - I renounced my citizenship a few weeks after Trump's victory (not in reaction to it, it took several years of planning, but it looks like an increasingly better decision every day). As for the rest of your post... I will simply leave you with a pair of links that you and other members of the forum are free to pursue at your leisure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yptXkLglKkA
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fractal_wrongness

<Ka-plonk>

Well, an egotistical pathological lying madman is now president who spent his 2nd day in office bitching about the National Park Service reporting on how many people were at the inauguration.

So, yeah, I think this will be a stain on American history.

I am neither an American resident (for several years now) nor an American citizen - I renounced my citizenship a few weeks after Trump's victory (not in reaction to it, it took several years of planning, but it looks like an increasingly better decision every day). As for the rest of your post... I will simply leave you with a pair of links that you and other members of the forum are free to pursue at your leisure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yptXkLglKkA
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fractal_wrongness

<Ka-plonk>
    What a disgrace you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Well, an egotistical pathological lying madman is now president who spent his 2nd day in office bitching about the National Park Service reporting on how many people were at the inauguration.

So, yeah, I think this will be a stain on American history.
    I love the hyperbole. Keep it up bro! It really jammed home your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    I love the hyperbole. Keep it up bro! It really jammed home your point.
    Oh, right, I missed the part where he suggested we go back to Iraq and steal their oil. Knew I was forgetting something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oh, right, I missed the part where he suggested we go back to Iraq and steal their oil. Knew I was forgetting something.
    You are on a roll!!! Talk about a farce.