Deleted

Bluescreening + "thread stuck in a device driver"

Hi guys! I’ve had issues with my computer bluescreening and giving a ”thread stuck in a device driver 0x100000ea” error message ever since I updated to Windows 10 last summer. The problem has been gradually getting worse. I am using two monitors on my computer, and it’s most common that the crash happens when I switch my mouse cursor from one screen to another. A friend of mine who's a professional with computers just said that my video card + Windows 10 + two screens don't play together so well.

I’ve tried everything I am capable of computer-wise, I’ve updated my driver settings (also did a clean install), updated BIOS, we’ve removed and re-plugged the video card etc. I am really running out of options and I’ve browsed stores for a new video card, but I fear that the issue might happen again, even with a new card?

The crashes happen multiple times per day now.

System specs:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Video card AMD Radeon R9 290
    Asus Z97-A, LGA1150, Intel Z97, DDR3, ATX + Coolink Corator DS
    Crucial 512GB MX100 SSD 2.5", MLC, SATA III, 550/500MB/
    Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ATX
    WD10EZEX Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue SATA III, 64MB
    Seasonic 650W S12G-650 ATX, 80 Plus Gold
    Intel Haswell i7-4790K, LGA1150, 4.0GHz, 8MB
    Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport, DDR3 1600MHz, CL9, 1.5V

Any ideas to help me? Or video card recommendations, was thinking EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.

MOD NOTE: Just to clarify, the OP has tested new drivers, the card is new/first owner, and a clean windows install has been attempted.
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-01-25 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeni View Post
    A friend of mine who's a professional with computers just said that my video card + Windows 10 + two screens don't play together so well..
    First off... This is both absurd and silly. I wouldn't call anyone who says that a 'professional'

That said, have you tried doing a clean reinstall of windows? Are you using the newest version of Win10 (1607)?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Hi, thanks for a quick answer! Yeah, device manager shows version as Windows 10 Pro, version 1607 so that should be okay. Also I've tried clean installing Windows, but it hasn't helped so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the 290 still under warranty? They usually have a 3-5-Lifetime warranty
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Is the 290 still under warranty? They usually have a 3-5-Lifetime warranty
    Ouch. I bought it from a guy who bought it with mined bitcoins, so that warranty thing might be a little fuzzy. You think that the issue lies with the video card being broken? I've bought the parts during summer 2014.

Try older drivers.

Like, do not put the latest, try to use older drivers, use for a few hours, check, try another, repeat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Try older drivers.

Like, do not put the latest, try to use older drivers, use for a few hours, check, try another, repeat.
    Thanks, will try and report back in a few hours. Trying a driver from 2/16/2016 (mostly as a note to myself).

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys! I’ve had issues with my computer bluescreening and giving a ”thread stuck in a device driver 0x100000ea” error message ever since I updated to Windows 10 last summer. The problem has been gradually getting worse. I am using two monitors on my computer, and it’s most common that the crash happens when I switch my mouse cursor from one screen to another. A friend of mine who's a professional with computers just said that my video card + Windows 10 + two screens don't play together so well.

I’ve tried everything I am capable of computer-wise, I’ve updated my driver settings (also did a clean install), updated BIOS, we’ve removed and re-plugged the video card etc. I am really running out of options and I’ve browsed stores for a new video card, but I fear that the issue might happen again, even with a new card?

The crashes happen multiple times per day now.

System specs:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Video card AMD Radeon R9 290
    Asus Z97-A, LGA1150, Intel Z97, DDR3, ATX + Coolink Corator DS
    Crucial 512GB MX100 SSD 2.5", MLC, SATA III, 550/500MB/
    Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ATX
    WD10EZEX Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue SATA III, 64MB
    Seasonic 650W S12G-650 ATX, 80 Plus Gold
    Intel Haswell i7-4790K, LGA1150, 4.0GHz, 8MB
    Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport, DDR3 1600MHz, CL9, 1.5V

Any ideas to help me? Or video card recommendations, was thinking EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post44125067
    Check this thread for reference on the same issue, perhaps try what the OP did.

Deleted
    Tried a few different versions of drivers, did not help and I was able to produce some BSODs.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post44125067
    Check this thread for reference on the same issue, perhaps try what the OP did.
    Hey thanks, I'll check the directions out and report what I got out of it. Thanks a lot!

"Did some research and saw that the AMD High Definition Audio Device in Device Manager can cause issues - I disabled it, and so far I'm 2 days without a crash. I will update if this does not end up fixing the issue."
    ^ Did this, will go play some Dragon Age to test the results.

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday I saw no bluescreens when I followed the directions on the older thread, today got one straight after startup when I tried to edit an Excel spreadsheet. I fully uninstalled the AMD High Definition Audio Device, I'll do some testing later this evening, but seems like it did not fully delete my problem. Thread still seems valid. :/
    Last edited by mmocbaf6294f3c; 2017-01-22 at 04:19 PM.

Deleted
    Look in the following folder for any *.dmp files:
    C:\Windows\Minidump

Also, look for a memory.dmp file in C:\Windows

These can potentially help with figuring out specifically which programs/drivers are causing the crash. If you can't debug them yourself with windbg, then upload them somewhere so we can get at them. Be aware that the memory.dmp file will likely be very large.

Ouch. I bought it from a guy who bought it with mined bitcoins, so that warranty thing might be a little fuzzy.
    I'd say this is more than likely your problem...

The error messages, alerts, warnings, and symptoms below are tied to this error.

Symptom 1: 0x100000ea error screen

The 0x100000ea error is encountered when a video hardware device driver enters an infinite loop and Windows has to terminate it and stop the booting process.

Causes of this Error

This error has been known to occur as a result of one or more of the following:

Cause 1: Bad or misconfigured device driver

The most common cause of this error is a faulty or outdated device driver. Alternatively, this error may appear after a driver update or after Windows was just installed.

Fixing “0x100000ea” on Windows

Fix #1: Reinstall the video drivers

Because the 0x100000ea error is usually caused by the video hardware, the video driver might not be compatible with your Windows version.

Make sure your Windows version has the correct driver for the video hardware and that the version of the driver is compatible with yoru Widnows version.

To update the driver, follow these steps:

Click Start
    Type devmgmt.msc in the search box and click on devmgmt or Device Manager
    Device Manager in Windows Vista
    Device Manager in Windows Vista
    Right-click on the driver
    Click Update
    Fix #2: Hardware Acceleration to none

Setting the Hardware Acceleration option to None could fix the error. However, by doing so, you might reduce your video card’s functionality and performance.

Follow these steps:

Click Start
    Type display in the search results
    Select Display from the list
    Go to Change Display Settings
    Click Advanced Settings
    Go to Troubleshoot
    Click Change Settingsv
    Drag the Hardware Acceleration slider to None
    Click OK
    Restart your computer
    Display Adapter Troubleshooter error screen
    Display Adapter Troubleshooter error screen
    Fix #3: Replace video card

Because the 0x100000ea error is caused by a video device or driver, try replacing the video card from your computer with a new one

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... the abuse of a video card that gets from mining coins is absurdly bad. Very likely the reason it got sold is cause it's broken or something cause by mining.

Deleted
    HA friend of mine who's a professional with computers just said that my video card + Windows 10 + two screens don't play together so well.
    A professional what? Clown?

That's how utterly absurd his 'professional' diagnosis is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yeah... the abuse of a video card that gets from mining coins is absurdly bad. Very likely the reason it got sold is cause it's broken or something cause by mining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I'd say this is more than likely your problem...
    Hehe, I think there's a slight misunderstanding going on here. The video card itself was not used for mining bitcoins, my friend bought new video cards with the money he made from mining bitcoins a while back. Got it with a nice discount since it was the easiest way for him to turn the coins into cash. The video card was brand new and in a box, so there's nothing fuzzy going on with that. I just don't have the original receipts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Look in the following folder for any *.dmp files:
    C:\Windows\Minidump

Also, look for a memory.dmp file in C:\Windows

These can potentially help with figuring out specifically which programs/drivers are causing the crash. If you can't debug them yourself with windbg, then upload them somewhere so we can get at them. Be aware that the memory.dmp file will likely be very large.
    Thanks! I'll look into this when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    A professional what? Clown?

That's how utterly absurd his 'professional' diagnosis is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    The error messages, alerts, warnings, and symptoms below are tied to this error.

Symptom 1: 0x100000ea error screen

The 0x100000ea error is encountered when a video hardware device driver enters an infinite loop and Windows has to terminate it and stop the booting process.
    Hi! I've followed these steps, but haven't tried the last one, which is buying new video card. Seems that unless the debugging/memory dump thing doesn't reveal anything I'll go for that option.
    Last edited by mmocbaf6294f3c; 2017-01-25 at 01:29 PM.

Before you buy a new card id recommed doing a fesh install of windows that means formating the disc or ssd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    Before you buy a new card id recommed doing a fesh install of windows that means formating the disc or ssd
    Also I've tried clean installing Windows, but it hasn't helped so far.
    They did that already.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest going back to Windows 7. I was getting the same errors every time Windows 10 tried to update so I gave up with it and went back, the errors are gone and now I couldn't be happier.

Once you do it you will realise just how bloated Windows 10 was with everything wrapped inside a Store App, a badly designed UI and a perceptible global cooldown on every click, even the Start button and the Task Manager take a second or two to open, this doesn't apply to Windows 7.