Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    You do realize the "wall" won't be a physical one. It is going to be a financial one.
    There is more than one way to "build a wall".
    Presented without comment:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Is she planning to work at Carrier?

Good news, Trump saved those jobs! Well, 800 jobs out of the 1,400, the rest are still moving to Mexico. By offering them a big investment.

Which they're spending on... *drumroll*... research into automation.

Bright future!

Make sure she takes classes in Spanish while she's studying.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/08/news...bs-automation/

- - - Updated - - -
    You seem like a bitter little fellow.
    Reminder to self, this is what your dealing with on mmo-c ot
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Incidentally, I have no issue with deceiving stupid people.
    I consider anyone right of Obama to be stupid, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Is she planning to work at Carrier?

Good news, Trump saved those jobs! Well, 800 jobs out of the 1,400, the rest are still moving to Mexico. By offering them a big investment.

Which they're spending on... *drumroll*... research into automation.

Bright future!

Make sure she takes classes in Spanish while she's studying.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/08/news...bs-automation/
    Maybe shes doing installations, can't automate that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Maybe shes doing installations, can't automate that.
    Doesn't help people in the Rust Belt because the vast majority of installations take place in...big surprise...urban areas. Places like California, Texas, Florida.

The Midwest is basically a dead end economically. There's no incentive to develop that region because it lacks educated workers and as a result, the service sector has no incentive to invest there either.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    I dont think it will be that much of a stain, the election it self maybe, but i foresee an uneventful presidency, lots of complaining and not much actually getting done, then a sweeping Dems victory for the next few elections after.
    " I am certain the American people will not elect a candidate like Trump " : B. Obama, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Exactly. But, you have to admit, it's still a bit outrageous that he makes these proposals. Heck, even Bush, as clumsy as he was, tried to keep the presidency as dignified as was in his capabilities. Trump doesn't even bother to pretend, he is trying to make a circus out of the whole thing, it's like he can play pretend President for 4 years, except... nobody told him he's actually president and needs to behave as one. With a little dignity, a bit of statesmanship and more cooperation and diplomacy and above all, subtlety than he is showing right now.
    He has been PotUS for one day and you are prejudging him. The very definition of being prejudiced. We don't know how he is going to be. Hell, our last PotUS was a civil activist from Chicago of all places with a Muslim background and from a broken home(not that that matters).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    " I am certain the American people will not elect a candidate like Trump " : B. Obama, 2016.
    Do you know what happened the last time a candidate was elected on a reformist platform and the public felt like they were getting cheated?

Doesn't help people in the Rust Belt because the vast majority of installations take place in...big surprise...urban areas. Places like California, Texas, Florida.
    HVAC is a pretty big umbrella, heating as well as AC, could be home installs to businesses. That's needed all around the country, not just the coasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what you voted -for-. Protectionist policies and especially those targeted against Hispanic migrants are just going to encourage automation, and the places where said factories are going to go up is places which have a high concentration of tech skilled workers, i.e. not the Rust Belt.

And this is ultimately why your vote was so woefully uninformed. The policies the Democrats were proposing; that of retraining, educational subsidies, public assistance would have better enabled you to adapt to the emergent post-industrial economy and sustain a higher standard of living. Instead, you're going to get policies that encourage it further and leave you in the cold.

Moreover, urban America is going to despise you for the social policies you ushered in.
    awwwww...your just gonna hate us no matter what we do. Us silly little hill people in the woods with their guns and all that. You are a hater. And a loser...MAGA baby. MAGA.

infracted - minor flaming
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-01-22 at 04:59 PM.
    Reminder to self, this is what your dealing with on mmo-c ot
    Incidentally, I have no issue with deceiving stupid people.
    I consider anyone right of Obama to be stupid, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    He has been PotUS for one day and you are prejudging him. The very definition of being prejudiced. We don't know how he is going to be. Hell, our last PotUS was a civil activist from Chicago of all places.
    The fact that he is refusing to divest himself of his financial interests and stacking the cabinet with political donors and corporate interests is evidence enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I said this before, but this will help speed along Trump's political demise. Americans are always insaitably hungry for this stuff. Accusations of Obama's "Global Apology Tour" did damage Obama's credibility. If Trump sneers at America's moral traditions and instutions, he'll find his supporters fleeing to public figures who do uphold them. It's part of our DNA.

[...Oval Office Photo Gallery...]
    For reals? I would have bet money I've only seen the Oval Office in blue... sheesh, that'll teach me how perception is made. I have no idea how I came to that, perhaps it's too many movies.

I'm not quite as optimistic as you are about Trump. Naturally, you'd have to be. It's what we call pragmatic optimism ("Zweckoptimismus") in Germany. The alternative is just fatalism and that won't do for people like you. I think once he settles in, whatever his power relationship with Congress will be, the American people will get used to it and return to their drab daily lives. The show's over as far as they are concerned. As long as he doesn't produce negative headlines, he'll be fine.

Someone once told me that American presidents either excel at domestic politics or at global politics, but never both at once. It'll be interesting to see what he'll excel at, but my guess is it won't be global politics. Everything points to an isolationist strategy turning attention inwards. If we just ignore that this is Trump we're talking about, I think it's not such a bad idea. The US has a lot of room for improvement domestically from all I hear. You need to figure out a healthcare system that works for you, you need to deal with the racial tensions and you need to somehow find a way to deal with the internet. This is something every country needs to do, but we don't have an urgent need to figure it out right now. The US does, what with all the SJW bullshit and racial tensions. There is a shitton of misinformation out there and if there's something that democracy has a hard time dealing with it's anarchy in the information sector. You can only be democratic if you have the full picture and access to reliable information. The media in the US is notoriously unreliable these days, though. That's something that needs to be addressed, lest you want Facebook to actually take over as the prime news source for the average citizen. And that's when democracy takes a big stumble.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id just be surprised if he actually gets anything done in between attacking people over twitter and shouting at CNN. I just dont think it will be as disastrous as some predict, it will just be 4 years of Trump being angry at MSM and 'SJWs' and then next election a sweeping victory for dems.

- - - Updated - - -

Id be surprised if he even lasts 4 years, seems like the sort of guy that will do it for a year, and then get bored when he realizes he can't just do what he wants.
    dragonmaw - EU

As a Nordic I never really heard anything positive about the US unless it was stuff about science.
    Republicans are constantly the focus of laughters whenever there is a talk about America.
    Americans are so different to the rest of the world.

With Obama we all opened up a bit to America and saw some good things being done.
    It felt like he tried to go forward, together with other countries into the future.

Now with Trump in charge, we lost all hope.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2017-01-22 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    awwwww...your just gonna hate us no matter what we do. Us silly little hill people in the woods with their guns and all that. You are a hater. And a loser...MAGA baby. MAGA.
    Again, this is one of the reasons why people call the working class uninformed. You aren't willing to have a serious discussion on policy, it's a binary 'win or loss' scenario to you.

But hey, we'll see who the loser is when my state continues to thrive while yet more factories in the midwest are shut down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know what happened the last time a candidate was elected on a reformist platform and the public felt like they were getting cheated?
    When was that? In 2000 when Al Gore won the popular vote and Bush won reelection by a landslide in 2004?

10+ Year Old Account
    When was that? In 2000 when Al Gore won the popular vote and Bush won reelection by a landslide in 2004?
    Nope. It was 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    You seem like a bitter little fellow.
    I find it galling to watch people being fed a trough load of shit and tucking in, personally.

I don't know what to say to people who think a man who lives in a literal golden house is a friend to the blue collar worker.

To be fair, they didn't.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-01-22 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

According to the press Trump didn't stand a change at even getting the R. nomination. Why people still believe the mainstream media when it comes to politics is beyond me. Mainstream media can't be trusted. Wikileaks has shown us how corrupt CNN is. And Wikileaks have NEVER been proven to be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    Id just be surprised if he actually gets anything done in between attacking people over twitter and shouting at CNN. I just dont think it will be as disastrous as some predict, it will just be 4 years of Trump being angry at MSM and 'SJWs' and then next election a sweeping victory for dems.

- - - Updated - - -

Id be surprised if he even lasts 4 years, seems like the sort of guy that will do it for a year, and then get bored when he realizes he can't just do what he wants.
    Prepare yourself to be surprised. If the democrats want to do well in the upcoming congressional elections in 2 years, they better look at why he won. They can not win by relying on California and New York alone. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    According to the press Trump didn't stand a change at even getting the R. nomination. Why people still believe the mainstream media when it comes to politics is beyond me. Mainstream media can't be trusted. Wikileaks has shown us how corrupt CNN is.
    The media was extrapolating based on Trump's prior bids; nor did they expect the Evangelicals to back Trump over Cruz.

Again, some predictive errors do not mean the media is lying.