When did we learn what Gul'dan was planning with Illidan?

Specifically, at which point (quest, cinematic, dungeon text, etc) did we learn Gul'dan was going to use Illidan's body as a host for Sargeras' spirit? Because I heard speculation about it back when Legion was released but never saw anything in-game confirming it. First time I saw it in-game was in 7.1 with Xe'ra saying "If Sargeras truly plans to use Illidan's body as a vessel for his own return..." like it's already been stated before.

So what did I miss? When did we first learn of this in-game?

Until I'm corrected, I'm assuming it's part of the Illidan quests around the Tear's of Elune and that Naaru Core... OR Demon Hunter Campaign?

It was vaguely hinted at in the demon hunter campaign, but it was more of a convenient thing that we found out.

The quest to kill Gul'dan after you have done the 7.1 surumar stuff says that Gul'dan is trying to pull Sargeras to our world. Considering Gul'dan did a ritual to sever Illidan from his body, kind of hints that Illidans body would be the host.

Deleted
    What happened to the data mined model that shows Gul´dan as the avatar of Sargeras?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    What happened to the data mined model that shows Gul´dan as the avatar of Sargeras?
    There is a model for an Avatar of Sargeras, for 7.2.
    There is a model for a powered-up hulked Gul'dan.

...But I never saw any model that even hinted Gul'dan as the avatar of Sargeras.

Uhm... Right just before the Gul'dan encounter?

EDIT:
    My fault, didn't read the thread.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2017-01-22 at 04:28 PM.

You mean Hulked Gul'dan and Super-Hulked Gul'dan?

Probably Mythic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    You mean Hulked Gul'dan and Super-Hulked Gul'dan?

Probably Mythic.
    Here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    The quest to kill Gul'dan after you have done the 7.1 surumar stuff says that Gul'dan is trying to pull Sargeras to our world. Considering Gul'dan did a ritual to sever Illidan from his body, kind of hints that Illidans body would be the host.
    Forgot about the quest after Insurrection is complete, I got it recently but never remembered the text. Still, could have been presented better imo, that kind of information deserves more of a dramatic delivery.

7+ Year Old Account
    Here it is.

that's mythic phase gul'dan.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Witcher Arafal View Post
    that's mythic phase gul'dan.
    No it's not. In the Gul'dan kill videos that are out that's his look for the final normal/heroic phase. I'm thinking this model will somehow be utilized for mythic if it wasn't scrapped:

I thought we (players) were going to have to do something at just the right time to get Illidan back into his body? What did I miss?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The quest 'The once and future Lord of Shadows' which takes you into ToV to retrieve Illidans soul from Helya (Last part of the Illidan questline that has you collect the 80 soul frags from dungeons) mentions that intelligence reports from the Illidari have found his body in the Nighthold and that Gul'dan plans to usher Sargs soul into it.

Link for proof: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=45176/t...ord-of-shadows

read the books. so much to learn!

More bullshit lore hidden in the novels at the expense of the actual game I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfkicker View Post
    No it's not. In the Gul'dan kill videos that are out that's his look for the final normal/heroic phase. I'm thinking this model will somehow be utilized for mythic if it wasn't scrapped:
    Which is.... Exactly what the person you quoted said.......