Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The issue is the result of diagnosis, not what the condition is. Just because you are diagnosed with ADHD, nothing is stoping you from being that same old rambunctious self. The diagnosis doesn't change how or if you treat it...
    Not to sure. My brother was a D student all his life until about his second year in high school. He got diagnosed, got some pills, and after a few trail and errors to get the dose right he pretty much became an A student, graduated from college, and has a solid career. I get that you disagree but thankfully you're to low in the standings to make a difference. But I will say it again and agree that it is over diagnosed. But it being total fiction? Hog wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is the part that's blatantly false. You've reversed the causal chain here to make it for consistent with your claim without providing a shred of evidence for doing so.
    they will give more $ to people who push more of their product. the more pushing, the more $. you are saying the chicken comes before the egg, im saying it doesnt really matter cause the transfer is there, and is influencing how doctors practice.

Because you are not describing what is actually happening. It feels like someone told you it is the way it is, but forgot to tell you why. Doctors do not get more money for more things the prescribe. What doctors do get, is drug sales people who try to influence and sway the way they prescribe. There is a reason why so many pharmaceutical reps are so attractive.

Then, you have the idea that a doctor can prescribe a pointless dose, to have you coming back for check ups and dose monitoring. But, that's fraud...
    it happens all the time. out of laziness or ignorance... or because companies paid them to prescribe their product as much as possible. that is partly why it is reccomended to go to multiple doctors about a condition.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    ADHD/ADD = Bad Parenting.

End of discussion.
    And the skunk ape appeared from his swampy home, to spew incorrect garbage.

But I'll bite and take this seriously. Toss me a source saying all cases off ADD/ADHD are just cases of bad parenting. I'll assume my diagnosis at 28 is in there as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Not to sure. My brother was a D student all his life until about his second year in high school. He got diagnosed, got some pills, and after a few trail and errors to get the dose right he pretty much became an A student, graduated from college, and has a solid career. I get that you disagree but thankfully you're to low in the standings to make a difference. But I will say it again and agree that it is over diagnosed. But it being total fiction? Hog wash.
    That's exactly what I mean. If you are diagnosed, give it a shot and if it works, all power to you. If you think your kid is just being him self, then ignore the diagnosis. I don't think people realize not only the choice, but the fact that both your brother and the op assertion are represented in that choice. The problem most people have with prescriptions, is they treated it like they are forced to take it. Without that force, if you think it works... brilliant! If you think it doesn't... fantastic!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

This is fine as a philosophical principle, but not very useful in real world circumstances. Epistemic humility is a good idea, but epistemic nihilism isn't.
    I don't know what either of those are, but there isn't much use in discussing things we can't prove or enact either. We still do it.

How do you even exist? Do you just walk in the middle of traffic, because what the fuck? Humans made breaks in cars and traffic lights...
    Haha, sorry, that does seem a bit nuts, now that I re-read it. I meant conclusions you draw from experiences that are not your own.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure you did. Here's the exchange:

The argument after this point has mostly consisted of people hand-waving away the real difference here as "semantics", thereby illustrating how poorly they understand the issue. Which is fine, most people have little or no experience or knowledge in this area; what's not fine is how vehemently people insist they're right about something they don't really know much about.
    Beat me to it. Not really sure were they're getting the "semantic" drivel at.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Beat me to it. Not really sure were they're getting the "semantic" drivel at.
    because a doctor being paid per prescription vs a doctor being paid more the more prescriptions he fills is a semantic difference when it comes to the issue of doctors being paid to prescribe medications.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly question whether I actually had ADHD as a child. Honestly, they use the learning disorder as an excuse for an education system that isn't engaging kids. I hated school because sitting at a desk and listening to a teacher was not the ideal way for me to absorb knowledge, nor was reading a long winded text book. Looking back on my youth now that I am well into adulthood, school was boring because they weren't teaching me a lot that I wanted to learn. I found that as I grew up, a lot of what I enjoyed was hands on, so I did well in shop classes, usually did well in music and arts related courses as well. Courses with labs that allowed me to tinker and mess around with stuff I did well in. Math and science could go fuck right off. The only math I have ever been good at was geometry.

- - - Updated - - -

End of discussion.
    It really isn't. It's a byproduct of an education system that focuses on text book learning and critical thinking rather that actually getting engaged and hands on with their learning. I find it amusing that in many regions, we are continually cutting funding to arts and technology programs, removing shop class from elementary schools for the later grades and cutting it out of high schools as well.

Deleted
    AIDS is also a lie btw.
    jesus christ, can you actually do some research before linking all that nonsense? Just do some research on that old fk and what his claims are based on...
    the only thing true about all of this is that the diagnostics of adhd are absurd...at least in germany. also they prescribe medication way too quickly. but they do that in general though...

We had these two neighbor boys around 8 years of age, one brother was the nicest kid ever, the other was seriously off the hook, he would ask you a question while shifting his weight from one leg to the other like he had to pee, you'd answer the question and then he would ask you the same question again. This would go on for some time. His mother finally put him on Ritalin and now he's nearly the same as his brother. It's a shame to put a kid on drugs but if it wasn't for Ritalin it would be a waste of time to send him to school.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It was only one teacher who noticed my issues the rest didn't.
    not every one who has ADHD has/wants to be medicated for it. when i was young my mother took me and i was diagnosed with it around 4-5 she didn't want to put me on medication at such a young age, when i got older (12-13) she asked me if i wanted to start taking medication for it and i said no as i was and am perfectly happy with out it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We had these two neighbor boys around 8 years of age, one brother was the nicest kid ever, the other was seriously off the hook, he would ask you a question while shifting his weight from one leg to the other like he had to pee, you'd answer the question and then he would ask you the same question again. This would go on for some time. His mother finally put him on Ritalin and now he's nearly the same as his brother. It's a shame to put a kid on drugs but if it wasn't for Ritalin it would be a waste of time to send him to school.
    or they could try to help him learn with his disorder, i know its not feasible for a lot of people to invest the time/effect but so many people don't even try.

Deleted
    I've had ADHD now or aprox 27 years, been trying loads of meds. Some works, some do not.

What i really found that helped me personally, was to LEARN how to live with it. Simple as that.

I'm not on meds today at all. (Omega 3 and B-vitamins meds? nah, but they help!)

School for me, was pretty much just living hell!
    Teachers wouldn't listen on me at all.. "You have to sit still for 45 minutes!" (Yeah.. good luck!)

But now where i am grown up, and most people will listen on me, i simply tell them, that i need to do something else for 5-ish minutes before i can continue "my thing" so to speak.
    It has worked out very well, i can still keep up with the rest of the people who works "normally", even if i take my 5 minutes runs with something else (YES, it can be job related, even if i'm doing something else)

Learn how to live with it, and do not take shortcuts at all, you'll be a much more happy person in the end.

Before you all kill me and so on, YES there is different amount of ADHD if you will, some require meds, but if you have just a little amount of ADHD, learn and live without meds. Its pretty much amphetamine you take.. to become "normal".. to calm you down.. which in my ears (whats left of them..) sounds just weird..

Anyway, my points of view.

Deleted

End of discussion.
    Indeed, i wish more people could realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Yes, trust only doctors emphatically, that will solve the problem.
    I'd like you to at least have some form of higher education in the field befor I consider your statements as likely.
    Especially when it comes to medicine and psychology.

People around here think they know everything about everything and get super worked up when other people don't quite belive them to be experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I'd like you to at least have some form of higher education in the field before I consider your statements as likely.
    How do you ensure they do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ritalin helped myself and my brothers make it through elementary and middle school.

Our family doctor was the kind that refused to give you anything without a damn good reason for it, and we both had evals done by a psychiatrist first.

With some testing of dosage, turns out Ritalin worked pretty well. By the time we were in high school, we no longer took it, as we had more or less outgrown the worst issues we had from ADHD.

It's an actual thing, and it's not the result of bad parenting. False diagnoses are a thing, and Ritalin is definitely not a drug to be taken lightly, but it can help people who need it to function in a school environment.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    How do you ensure they do?
    When reading on these forums?
    You don't.

So you want to weaponize autism, but discredit ADHD?

Crazy Finnish, I tell ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    ADHD/ADD isn't just a kids thing. It's a very real physical "condition" in that it fundamentally alters your brain. Kids with ADHD/ADD grow up to be adults with ADHD/ADD, just like me, my girlfriend, my mother, my sister, several of our friends etc. Bad parenting won't cause these alterations. It's also a lot more than just inattentiveness and hyperactivity, the diagnosis is much wider than that. There's also a difference in how the hyperactive aspect plays out between children and adults. In adults it's an internal, mental hyperactivity instead of the physical hyperactivity displayed in children.

When it comes to medication it's also a highly personal thing. I know several people who work absolutely fine without medication because they put themselves in an envorinment where they can harness their strengths and where their inattentiveness becomes less of an issue. For me, who wants to work in academic fields, it becomes a problem, so I need medication. Without it I really wouldn't be able to study. Medication has helped me to be able to follow my vision and do what I want with my life, even though I still struggle a lot more than my classmates who don't have ADHD.

Saying ADHD/ADD is fake or that it's the result from bad parenting is just total ignorance.

Hell, just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCAGc-rkIfo
    Last edited by Kheirn; 2017-01-22 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.