Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 33kamous3 View Post
    I watched "In the Pale Moonlight" first, which I hadn't seen. Really riveting episode, very unique, very DS9. I like how in DS9 they tried to go in the opposite direction from TNG as much as they could.
    I to love "In the Pale Moonlight" for its interesting story, but I hate it to becuse it betrays everything Star Trek stand for. Doing the wrong thing If not murder, it is accessory to murder and blame a innocent and get reward for it in the end.....
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2017-01-22 at 08:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    TNG stay away from Troi episodes - all crap, on the other hand all Data episodes are great
    The episodes about Troi's mother were a hoot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    I to love "In the Pale Moonlight" for its interesting story, but I hate it to becuse it betrays everything Star Trek stand for.
    What "Star Trek stands for" started going out the window as soon as Roddenberry died. Deep Space Nine was not a show that Roddenberry would have approved of at all, in my view, based on things Roddenberry told writers and media over the years. Perhaps that's why it's arguably the best series.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    DS9-In the Pale Moonlight

I can't swear that it's the best Trek episode ever made...but it's certainly near the top of the list at the very least.
    This. If you're going to watch any of them, this is the one.

- - - Updated - - -

I to love "In the Pale Moonlight" for its interesting story, but I hate it to becuse it betrays everything Star Trek stand for. Doing the wrong thing If not murder, it is accessory to murder and blame a innocent and get reward for it in the end.....
    I remember reading somewhere that DS9 works better if you think of it more as a story about the Bajorans, than a Star Trek series, or something like that, so that might help your quandry somewhat.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    The important thing to realize about ST: DS9 was that only about half the regular cast played Starfleet personnel. It was never going to be a typical Star Trek show.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, one that hit me right in the feels:

TNG: S03E20 - Tin Man

also a mention for:

TNG: S03E04 - Who Watches the Watchers
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    TNG: S03E04 - Who Watches the Watchers
    Ah yes! The atheist episode! Contrast this with the themes in Deep Space Nine.

More accurately, it puts paid to the fact that the "utopia" envisioned by Roddenberry, does not and in fact, cannot exist, and shows that there is not, and will never be, a world of black and whites with no shades of grey.

Its a necessary episode that shows the problems Gene vision always had with star trek. Hes was kinda similar to prequel Lucas where his vision was the only thing, unlike young Lucas that really dug deep for help because he always thought of himself as a terrible writer. For TOS Gene hated the red tape he had and wanted full control. Which he was given for the first 2 season of TNG, which unsurprisingly were some of the worst star trek ever for the most part with episodes down right offensive, terrible and boring and with most of his writer absolutely hating working for him.

Having a vision simply does not make you a screenwriter or an executive director it turns out.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Star Trek: Voyager" Blink of an Eye (2000)
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    DS9-In the Pale Moonlight

I can't swear that it's the best Trek episode ever made...but it's certainly near the top of the list at the very least.
    So much this

With regards to "Pale Moonlight" I guess I tend to side with a77 to a degree. I think it's a well-made episode and I like the unique narrative structure and challenging moral dilemma. However, watching it in 2017, the theme of patting oneself on the back for conveniently abandoning moral principles does seem a bit cheap and cliche (and a bit anti-Trek), albeit an attitude that's very much in vogue at the moment.

That said, DS9 is about a Wild West situation where these guys are out in the boondocks in a very tough situation, and they have to make a lot of compromises. Romulans on one side, Cardassians on the other, a precarious alliance with the Klingons, the Dominion pouring in trying to destabilize everything, so the Federation is perhaps at its most desperate here. So it's understandable.

Sometimes I like to watch Trek through a subtextual lens; what if what we're seeing is only one skewed perspective? Change just a couple things and Picard is an amazing demagogic villain (I think Q once called him a Roman centurion patrolling the outer reaches of the empire). His post-Locutus dealings with the Borg are a good place to start. What if Sisko really is just a shell-shocked and schizophrenic lunatic struggling to deal with the massive pain and loss he's suffered? What if the Prime Directive, as Chakotay actor Robert Beltran argued, is just self-serving fascist hegemony? What if the Maquis, for example, are the real good guys? Why does Dr. Crusher get so excited about performing autopsies every single week? I don't necessarily believe those things, but it's a fun moral exercise to have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    The episodes about Troi's mother were a hoot.
    Yeah I like the occasional episode when someone like Lwaxana or Q strides in and takes everyone down a peg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    "Star Trek: Voyager" Blink of an Eye (2000)
    Yes, I knew I was forgetting one, great episode.