Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    People will always bitch and moan, no matter what Blizzard does.
    No t6 updates? People would moan about that.
    The new tier doesnt look as good as they had hoped. People will bitch about that.

I for one like the t6 updates, and if you look at the mythic warrior set it is just what they said it would be during blizzcon. Thats why I think that all the other mythic sets are not 100% finished.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I think it's a nice throw back and they look pretty nice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    They have literally said that it was going to be based on t6. I'm not sure why this is a surprise.
    "Based" on, not "Blaitently copied with colour variations" not the same thing.

Based on means drawing Inspiration from It, to make another unique set like T6 was... but not bloody copy It piece by piece, give It HD textures and colour variations and call It a new Tier.

It's stupid, they should make unique armors, and there have never been more unique armors made than the ones from Vanila & TBC and they are CLEARLY trying to hog on the glory of those days, especially at the "Old player base" that seemgly returned to Legion, and will laugh so hard at this, as I am already.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can really spot the people who are so petty that they get upset over people not liking what they do. Some people will like it for whatever reason(s), some will not for whatever reason(s). This is how free will works. Someone not liking the design shouldn't affect some of you, and yet, some of you take it as a personal attack.

Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    At blizzcon the feedback was overwhelmingly positive when they announced this.
    So was WoD. Look how that turned out - the expansion with the largest exodus of players to this day.

While I think that most people will like this, using the audience who hypes everything up as your gauge is silly.
    Last edited by Lime; 2017-01-22 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen26 View Post
    I am so sick and tired of Blizzard rehashing things, the gear is a updated spin off of all the previous tier, just more flashy. Blizzard considers this "new"???? so so so annoying to see this.
    Are you even going to actually clear any of the content..? You unsubbed.
    You complain about grinding. Do you honestly even care that much lol? You unsubbed for a reason no? let it stay that way.

I think a certain measure of disappointment is legitimate.

First of all, T6 had a bunch of iconic sets, but it was hardly the best tier for every single class. Priest was fantastic, Druid was great, and Warlock was cool, but mainly because of the wings, otherwise T5 was better. Warrior and Shaman are hit or miss (I personally don't like them), while Hunter, Mage, Paladin and Rogue are rather underwhelming compared to earlier tiers.

Another issue is that some of them are using Outland themes and have absolutely no connection with the Tomb of Sargeras. The hunter set was called Gronnstalker - there are no Gronn on the Broken Isles, this would have made sense in WoD perhaps, but not here. The mage set was called the Tempest Regalia, it was based on Netherstorm; it's very out of place here. The shaman tier was made for draenei/broken - again, why not use it in the previous expansion, which was actually on Draenor?

But the worst part is that they are simply remaking them in HD, with no extra innovation added. These sets don't surprise me with anything.

People call them a "copy paste" and a "paint job", and this is clearly unfair, since the models and textures were created all over again from scratch. But they did skip one part, the original creative concept. All the sets start from something like this:

Here they might as well have started from T6 screenshots.

The extreme similarity, unfortunately, serves to put the remakes in a poor light. Yes, they have more polygons and larger textures, but if you put them side by side they are aesthetically inferior. Take a look at the priest set, the best this tier has to offer:

You can see the scale of the shoulderpads and the shape of the helm look better on the original. The blind maidens are also smaller compared to the rest of the shoulder piece, and the chains are better defined. On the upgraded version, the chains are 3D objects instead of a texture, but they clutter more, they have more bright points that break the sheer dark lines they create on the original set.

The new set also has sharper contrasts and more saturated colors, which don't look as well as the more muted greys and blues on the original T6. Look how the light blue crystals pop and seem to shine on the original. On the remake, they don't stand out, because everything around them is just as saturated.

There are also parts, such as the back, where the remake has FEWER details on the texture. This part may be unfinished, but check the metal bands on the back and hood as well. These are too thin on the remake to have anything added to them, yet they look less defined and detailed than the ones on the original (especially on the hood).

Now let's look at the face itself:

The original looks gaunt and almost sad. The remake is rather happy, like she's enacting a scene from 50 Shades of Grey.

Speaking of shades and grey, notice once again how the T6 mantle is almost monochromatic; it defines edges and bolts just enough to let you know you are there, but they don't break the outline, and neither does the chain. It's low texture, but you can immediately recognize what it is. Color-wise, it's very simple, and it creates a very effective, iconic visual.

The remake is full of bright spots breaking the line of the mantle and the chains, and the face is so bright that it immediately draws your eyes to it. When you look at the T6 shoulder, you immediately see a face chained to a shield. When you look at T20, you initially just see the face.

Another thing you can see here is that the original face has a little bit of blue shading around the blindfold, and it looks brighter where the eyes would be. There was no glow effect on it when I took the screenshot, that is actually part of the texture, and it's meant to ENHANCE the glow, to make it look like it is reflecting back on the object. The remake has the glow, but even though the texture is much more detailed, it is plain, it uses no color tricks to improve the effect.

Overall, the remake is more detailed, but aesthetically less inspired. This doesn't necessarily mean that the 3D & texture artists are bad, it's just that remaking someone else's work is time consuming and boring, and if you're not allowed to bring your contribution, you might as well shut down your brain.

These might have looked a lot better if the artists were allowed to bring their own interpretations, and adapt some of the sets more boldly to the current expansion (Ettin or naga instead of Gronn for the hunter set, Nightborne elements and colors on the mage set, while trying to recreate the T6 shapes, a few nods to the Highmountain tauren on the shaman set, Valarjar elements on warrior, perhaps something entirely different for Paladin, because that set always sucked, etc.).

It's no wonder that the Mythic variants look the best, because there the artists were allowed some creativity. Sadly, the mythic sets will only leave one version behind, and the best colors will be wasted on elite sets for PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Based on.

This is a flat out copy.
    It's basically "remastered" T6, they do have updated models, higher resolutions, more fine details, more 3d pieces, etc.

Is it not a flat copy, it's a... Modernization.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it is nice. The upgraded version of each tier (proberly the mythic tier set) looks new and amazing for all classes. So i don't really see the slack anywhere. I would rather have them do a rework/update of an old good looking tier set, then a mediocre new tier set.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    To me, they look like you could jam 5 of them together and make some crappy Voltron look-a-like.

The game needs a complete 100% reset... back to rags for gear and a "new" T1. It starts with you waking up in night sweats where everyone was dressed in my little sparkle pony outfits. Everyone had legendaries. And there was this thing called Artifact Power where you own the one and only super weapon... that everyone else had.

The state of this game is disgusting when compared to it's roots.
    I for one love the game in its current state, keeps it competitive. But how good it is, is largely a subjective opinion. I like most of these Tier sets, except the ones i hated back then too, like hunter.

I like sets. i don't mind it at all.

I'm stoked about them. They look good, and it's nice to see HD updates of older armor sets. It's not something I would want regularly but for now it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Tier 20 is lazy as shit.

When they said T6 was an inspiration I figured it would be a building block not a literal copy-paste.
    Pretty much this. They're more hi-res versions than inspired by.

A little. It's kinda dumb that they'd completely copy paste the set instead of making one that was obviously inspired but not the same. But then again, most every thing blizzard does these days is pretty much just a copy paste of what they have done in the past only done worse..... So, the day I start complaining about it, is the day I just quit.

If I whine about everything I will be cool on the internet posts. This place is becoming more and more like Reddit everyday. Nothing but complaints, trolls, and shit posting. New sets are ok. If I end up not liking it I will just mog it and move on.

I like quite a few of them, but the others not so much. I didn't like some of them back then and still don't now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    If I whine about everything I will be cool on the internet posts. This place is becoming more and more like Reddit everyday. Nothing but complaints, trolls, and shit posting. New sets are ok. If I end up not liking it I will just mog it and move on.
    I find it funny when people whine about the state of the community when they don't even realize that they themselves fall into that category they're whining about.

See, I may be in the minority here or something, but I rather enjoy the look of the DK tier. Weakest imo is mages, but it's still not that bad. But opinions and assholes I suppose. /shrug
    "And if it ends with both of us dying in an explosion taking out a Reaper - remember, I took the killshot." ~ Garrus Vakarian

So remember when we had the thread asking whether the old sets should be updated because they look like crap? I seem to remember the consensus being that new, better looking versions of the older gear was a better alternative because some people inevitably prefer the original version. This is that happening. It's a good decision as far as I'm concerned, and honestly the Warlock one looks far better than the original, so I'm not complaining.

So apparently I live in a dimension where there are also T20 Mythic sets which are more than just updated/HD versions of T6 and people here don't?

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    So remember when we had the thread asking whether the old sets should be updated because they look like crap? I seem to remember the consensus being that new, better looking versions of the older gear was a better alternative because some people inevitably prefer the original version. This is that happening. It's a good decision as far as I'm concerned, and honestly the Warlock one looks far better than the original, so I'm not complaining.
    Problem is, that sort of thread isn't going to attract the whole community. A bunch of vocal people who care about the issue will wax it philosophically about how things should be, while everyone else is ignoring them. If you make the mistake of taking their conclusions as fact, you will soon find out that a part of the community who didn't take part in that discussion (probably because they didn't care about old sets and thought it was just some stupid thread, like the ones about High Elves) is actually unpleasantly surprised by the decision.

And some people, like we've seen earlier in the thread, will make deep comments about the WoW community never making up its mind and always being unhappy...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    So apparently I live in a dimension where there are also T20 Mythic sets which are more than just updated/HD versions of T6 and people here don't?
    That's only one color for PvE that most people won't get for another expansion. The other version, with a more interesting color palette, will probably go to elite PvP and be even rarer. Do you expect people to get excited over sets they will never wear?

I liked the updated versions of the tier, except the mage one but I didn't like the original either so *shrug*
    Professor Johnston often said that if you didn't know history, you didn't know anything. You were a leaf that didn't know it was part of a tree. ~Michael Crichton, Timeline