Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Overdiagnosed, maybe, definitely not fictitious. I got diagnosed at 26, and it took me a year of regular psychiatric visits (not psychologist, psychiatrist, the one that's an actual doctor), meeting at least once a month, before he was prepared to give me an official diagnosis. If you take your kid to a psychologist and they declare them ADHD after a session or two, then that's a problem. It needs to be established that it started really early (part of my evaluation involved digging out my Elementary school report cards; every single one back to Kindergarten had some version of "has trouble paying attention" on it), and that it's continuous, you don't have a "spell" of ADHD for a month and then go back to "normal" (you may be more or less impacted by it, but it's always there).

Also, kids REALLY shouldn't be rushed into being on a drug regimen. If you get offered drugs right off, find someone else to work with. Behavioural therapy can work for some cases, and there may be non-prescription options; I manage mine with caffeine. 80-100mg every 3-4 hours, as needed. I tried adderall and wellbutrin, but neither was as effective as caffeine and had side effects I didn't like.

I call bs on ADHD people who can concentrate on video games, movies and other fun things but not homework. The biggest sign is when they say I'll do it later or I don't think drugs are necessary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, no, that's pretty plainly not the only relevant difference. If you take me out to dinner and tell me about your product, I learn something about the product and have a more favorable attitude towards it. This may bias me in favor of it (or I might be prescribing it because I legitimately learned something about it). If, on the other hand, I receive direct payment for each prescription, this provides a biasing incentive.
    sure if you make it sound like a one time thing it sounds like innocent advertising, but typically it's an ongoing relation where the free diners come at some regularity that may of may not be related to how much you prescribe. it's abit of a grey area all in all.

also, out of curiosity, what can a drug rep tell a doctor about a drug that the FDA cant?
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-01-23 at 02:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    ADHD isn't an inability to focus. It's an inability to direct focus. If I'm engrossed in a book, you could burn a house down around me and I wouldn't notice. If I'm the slightest bit bored, I can't listen to someone speak for more than about 15 seconds before it starts to fall apart, no matter how important I think it is that I do so.
    Was going to come in and say the same thing. The trigger point for me seeking a diagnosis was when I spent 2 hours playing minesweeper, when I had a paper due. Every time I tried to get back to my paper, I slipped back to minesweeper. I wasn't listening to music or watching TV on the side. I had other games I WANTED to play. But I simply could not stop focusing on minesweeper.

The "attention deficit" is, as you say, a deficit in control, not capacity. ADD/ADHD people will both experience an inability to focus, as well as hyperfocus, like with my minesweeper incident. Which is both horrible, when you're bored out of your fucking mind but can't stop playing minesweeper, and potentially great when you can lock in on a project and work for 6 hours before you realize it's getting dark because you can't see what you're doing any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    There's your problem. He's a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. He has a theory but he's not the expert here.
    A psychologist is just as competent as a psychiatrist when it comes to formulating an opinion on behavior-related issues. Functionally, the only difference between the two is that the psychiatrist has graduated from med school and is (for all intents and purposes) also a physician that can hand out prescriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by YourExWife View Post
    A psychologist is just as competent as a psychiatrist when it comes to formulating an opinion on behavior-related issues. Functionally, the only difference between the two is that the psychiatrist has graduated from med school and is (for all intents and purposes) also a physician that can hand out prescriptions.
    A psychiatrist has some understanding of the mechanism involved behind at a cellular level (although not nearly as much as they should be)

A psychologist just sees A and associates B to it. They're a disgrace to the word science.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

10+ Year Old Account
    This post is idiotic, as someone with ADHD, I can tell you for a fact, because I can see the difference between myself, otherwise with it, and those without.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niibek View Post
    There is no objective evidence for the presence of ''addiction'' in human body. It's a philosophical concept designed to relieve people responsbility. The idea that humans do not really have free will is a contentious opinion, not an objective fact.

If it was real, how come people who took drugs and alchohol for prolonged periods of time stopped doing so? I know them, my father was one.
    Was a binge, heavy drinker. One day he stopped. And has never touched it again. I also have noticed that his character since then has been ''strengthened'' out.
    Addiction is non-sense. People take drugs and drink alchohol because they like it. Peoples free will is not suspended by drugs and other damaging substances. They make a choice.

Dyslexia is also a fictional non-sense.
    Cus ppl are different for example i cant get addicted to nicotin and shit loads of ppl around the world are addicted to nicotin.
    If your idea was correct then most ppl that take elegal drugs would take the same type of drug but thats not how it works cus ppl are different so they get hooked on different types.
    Last edited by mmoc737d4c7b6a; 2017-01-23 at 01:46 PM.

Deleted
    I think it's more often labeled as autism now, right?

EH i'm convinced 90% of mental issues are made up bullshit.

People refusing to cope with their problems claiming depression is ruining their lives. Get the fuck over it, everyone gets depressed because bad shit happens all the time.

ADHD is one of the worst offenders, have some fucking mental discipline.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I think it's more often labeled as autism now, right?
    Nope two different disorders.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    ADHD is one of the worst offenders, have some fucking mental discipline.
    Interesting, would you say the same to a guy in a wheelchair who claimed he couldn't run? Or do you just enjoy bullying the mentally disabled from behind your keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Interesting, would you say the same to a guy in a wheelchair who claimed he couldn't run? Or do you just enjoy bullying the mentally disabled from behind your keyboard?
    Do you sincerely believe that paralysis:walking as ADHD:discipline?

Well if the guy in the wheelchair has something actually wrong with his legs or ability to use them then no. But ADHD come off it
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do you sincerely believe that paralysis:walking as ADHD:discipline?
    Sorry I don't understand what this question means?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know 2 people who actually have it and there are no doubts in my mind they have it.

I know dozens more who claim to and they clearly dont.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Well if the guy in the wheelchair has something actually wrong with his legs or ability to use them then no. But ADHD come off it
    So you just consider physically obvious disabilities a genuine problem and brain disorders a joke? how about genetic disorders? You can't see them either.

Sorry I don't understand what this question means?
    I'm asking if you think that ADHD is fundamentally just as much of an objective impairment of the mind as being unable to stand is an impairment to walking. My position is that the subjectivity makes these quite different.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm asking if you think that ADHD is fundamentally just as much of an objective impairment of the mind as being unable to stand is an impairment to walking. My position is that the subjectivity makes these quite different.
    Put it this way, I have ADHD and a missing limb, if I was given the option of fixing just one of them then I would still have a missing limb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I call bs on ADHD people who can concentrate on video games, movies and other fun things but not homework. The biggest sign is when they say I'll do it later or I don't think drugs are necessary.
    I have to go back and watch it again like a few min-to like 10m all the time when i watch movies/series/you tube channels i like cus i wander off.
    It just need to be a few sec of filler talk for me to start "daydreaming" or start watching my surroundings instead of listening when being social.

7+ Year Old Account
    Think this thread title is a little ridiculous, ADHD is certainly a real disorder.

But, ADHD meds are overprescribed. I think the issue really arises from expecting pediatricians to properly monitor and prescribe these medications especially with how addictive they can be and how many issues incorrect diagnosing can make. Having an abundance of DA flowing in your brain can cause many issues if not properly directed and reinforced/regulated.

This issue is just the tip of the iceberg to much needed mental healthcare reform/updates. We don't have a firm grip on mental health science...yet.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders