Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeha, looking for the paper, but even the CNN website only links to the journal, not the specific article in the journal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't know where the results are, but you can take the survey yourself here: http://the-gild.com/generation-quiz/

It's immediately obvious that the survey responses are oddly distributed.

The results say I am 44% Baby Boomer.
    If that's the source of the statistical information stated in the article then the information is inherently flawed due to voluntary response bias.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reaver View Post
    If that's the source of the statistical information stated in the article then the information is inherently flawed due to voluntary response bias.
    Or the article OP linked is purposely withholding the source because they cherry picked results that seemed 'more conservative."

The impression that I get at least is that teenagers today are "conservative" in the sense that they're mostly just good kids who aren't obsessed with acting out or rebelling against authority, but just want to work hard and live responsibly which is certainly a commendable attitude. However, this makes them completely different from mainstream conservatives, since they seem committed to actually living by moral values rather than just using them as a cudgel to beat down people they don't like. We'll see how this generation's attitudes evolve as they start to reach adulthood and their idealism brushes up against the harshness of reality, but I imagine the transition won't be as stark as it was for previous generations since today's kids are already pretty well informed and knowledgeable.

Jesus, that's why. This fucking study has nothing to do with fucking politics, Heat Street (and apparently CNN as well) is just trying to make it about that.

This is a fucking quiz about how age-based marketing is flawed, not about political leanings.

Fucking hell, this is why it's important to spend a bit of time doing research before uncritically sharing some stupid shit simply because it's in sync with your ideological beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Jesus, that's why. This fucking study has nothing to do with fucking politics, Heat Street (and apparently CNN as well) is just trying to make it about that.

This is a fucking quiz about how age-based marketing is flawed, not about political leanings.

Fucking hell, this is why it's important to spend a bit of time doing research before uncritically sharing some stupid shit simply because it's in sync with your ideological beliefs.
    OP loves himself his fake news.

Do you have a link to the CNN article? I'd still like to check the source myself, because I don't put too much faith in CNN for the most part. I don't believe they lie and make shit up, like some believe, but I absolutely believe that they would report on the usual type of bullshit that passes for "studies" nowadays. Most media do, it's an easy writeup that drives traffic/clicks and most of the time is devoid of any actual value to viewers/readers.
    And this person is a mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Or the article OP linked is purposely withholding the source because they cherry picked results that seemed 'more conservative."
    Of course it is. Wasn't that obvious when they listed not liking tattoos as conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Of course it is. Wasn't that obvious when they listed not liking tattoos as conservative?
    I don't care if the source is fake or not, but not liking tattoos wasn't linked to conservative, it was linked to not being something viewed as essentially awesome as their predecessors may have viewed. Then their was correlation because it tried stating most millennial are liberals.
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Perhaps, but I'd like for people to arrive at their own conclusion without me helping them along. Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my perception, they are just growing up very cynical. The Internet has played a major role here: with the socialization possibilities and information abundance unheard of in the previous generations, people much sooner encounter the worst humanity has to offer. They stop dreaming about a better world and care more about how not to lose this world. I suppose it can be counted as more conservative, but I would say that it rather is more apathetic.

Another factor is that the pendulum is always swinging. Much like hippies with their ideas of anarchy were succeeded by more "grounded" and less daring folks, the ideas of equality and liberty now are giving way to a more skeptical attitude and a bit more traditionalist outlook. The pendulum will swing again in 10-15 years, if the theory of cycles is to be believed - possibly with dominating ideas far surpassing anything the mainstream progressive people today dare to suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account

Also, its in the UK. I dare say conservatives in the UK are MUCH different than conservatives in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    Also, its in the UK. I dare say conservatives in the UK are MUCH different than conservatives in the US.
    Based on everything I've heard from British friends/colleagues, that's apparently true.

So it's even a UK based study, which is going to be largely pointless when it comes to trying to pick any US-specific commentary based on the results.

So even more intellectually dishonest on the part of Heat Street and CNN. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    I don't know, there was that whole Brexit thing.

Based on everything I've heard from British friends/colleagues, that's apparently true.

So it's even a UK based study, which is going to be largely pointless when it comes to trying to pick any US-specific commentary based on the results.

So even more intellectually dishonest on the part of Heat Street and CNN. *sigh*
    Do you have a link to the CNN article? I want to hear their take on this. So far I've just heard OP say CNN picked up/ran their own version of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    From my perception, they are just growing up very cynical. The Internet has played a major role here: with the socialization possibilities and information abundance unheard of in the previous generations, people much sooner encounter the worst humanity has to offer. They stop dreaming about a better world and care more about how not to lose this world. I suppose it can be counted as more conservative, but I would say that it rather is more apathetic.

Another factor is that the pendulum is always swinging. Much like hippies with their ideas of anarchy were succeeded by more "grounded" and less daring folks, the ideas of equality and liberty now are giving way to a more skeptical attitude and a bit more traditionalist outlook. The pendulum will swing again in 10-15 years, if the theory of cycles is to be believed - possibly with dominating ideas far surpassing anything the mainstream progressive people today dare to suggest.
    I would have to say if we factor in the internet, seeing the way many liberals act would turn off a child raised properly to respect people. I'm not saying you are doing that, and we know this doesn't just revolve around liberals, but much of the internet is heavily democratic so to speak. I don't know why this happens and could be a plethora of reason, but if we use MMO-champion as an example it may be because of a haven for liberals. People like to try and associate themselves where they feel comfortable. If the internet pushes them away, then its understandable why there wouldn't be as many. Anyways, using MMO-champ as an example again, let's be honest for a minute. If I were a teenager and were raised in a way to not be a disrespectful human being, wouldn't the liberal view turn you away if you came to a website like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Do you have a link to the CNN article? I want to hear their take on this. So far I've just heard OP say CNN picked up/ran their own version of the story.
    No clue, haven't been able to dig it up yet on their site/google after a few minutes of searching. Giving up, it's up to OP to prove it's on CNN now because it's his claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    wouldn't the liberal view turn you away if you came to a website like this?
    MMO-C is a liberal website? I keep seeing people saying they quit coming here because it's slowly turning in to Stormfront 2.0 and that most mods are conservative white knights. I'm not joking.

10+ Year Old Account
    No clue, haven't been able to dig it up yet on their site/google after a few minutes of searching. Giving up, it's up to OP to prove it's on CNN now because it's his claim.
    The only thing I dug up was one form September saying MILLENIALS were more conservative that previously thought...