Building Unholy For Mythic+ Only.

Hey all!

Looking for your feelings on the best talents builds and stat priorities for unholy dk that plans to only really do Mythic+.

Ive heard a lot about pure mastery builds with Clawing Shadows? Also a few others. Really any information you can give would be great. Epidemic seems pretty cool too! Any good?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure the optimal build is Frost. :>
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

unholy m+ is only decent for places with huge trash pulls. the ramp up time witj wound is pretty tough on sustained trash dps

Assuming not Skittish:

BS
    PP
    CS
    SB
    Whatever
    IC
    Defile

This is assuming you have 67%+ mastery.

Epidemic isn't taken because you have to use runes to damage, and by doing so you lose FS/CS damage and bursting damage.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    unholy m+ is only decent for places with huge trash pulls. the ramp up time witj wound is pretty tough on sustained trash dps
    Thats not true at all, Unholy can hold their own easily on AOE. Both sustained and burst AOE is top notch, and can only be compete against by a handfull of classes. We have AMAZING burst AOE, and excellent sustained AOE.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Epidemic is useful if mobs will survive your Death and Decay + Scourge Strike/Clawing Shadows spam, otherwise don't bother taking it. Usually I use 1 or 2 Epidemic stacks, and hope that during that time my pet will apply some wounds, then I use DnD + SS combo and after DnD ends, I use up the rest of my Epidemic stacks. I found its AoE useful on +12 and +13 mythics, but anything lower than +10 and trash packs will barely even survive DnD + SS combo, so you take Pestilent Pustules instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I'm pretty sure the optimal build is Frost. :>
    As Unholy, i eat Frost in 2s arenas. :>

The dude is asking for uh specc, no the frost boredom specc

In sims Soul Reaper gives me more dps in M+... gg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TiagoRamos View Post
    In sims Soul Reaper gives me more dps in M+... gg
    What kind of sim? Because that sounds very wierd, as defile is the stronger AoE talent.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

I have played Frost for my entire DK career. I only got to about 870 with it and then I just wanted to try something new. I may even go back to Frost if I find myself dissatisfied with Unholy. However, I will say I have minimal idea on how to use Unholy the best and I still do fairly admirable dps. Especially burst aoe on pulls that was definitely doing better than Frost. I mean frost clearly has some insane cleave and decent aoe, but if anything I felt like I had to struggle and put a significant more amount of energy into sustaining good aoe as Frost. Unholy feels like it was made to be better at AoE, feels more naturally built as part of the package. Even its single target feels strong, maybe not top, but definitely competitive.

The problem is Im just reading so many different guides and reviews on the best way to build unholy for M+ and I cant find anyone who will explain why I should do such and such, they just show numbers. Numbers are clearly important but not without explanation. That's kind of what I am looking for here.

Ask Mr Robot, at least in the M+ section.
    Anyways, im running defile in dungeons... feels better...

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    I don't know unholy's pretty good at killing bosses so there's that sometimes killing bosses matters?

The issue I have with unholy is DnD's cool down is too long for M+ you basically only get to deal AoE every 2nd or 3rd pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I don't know unholy's pretty good at killing bosses so there's that sometimes killing bosses matters?

The issue I have with unholy is DnD's cool down is too long for M+ you basically only get to deal AoE every 2nd or 3rd pack.
    that's why I said that it's good for large packs, not great for frequent pulls of 2-3 mobs at a time. Unholy is definitely more balanced for tyrannical though, especially when somebody is covering you for AOE.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldon View Post
    Assuming not Skittish:

BS
    PP
    CS
    SB
    Whatever
    IC
    Defile

This is assuming you have 67%+ mastery.

Epidemic isn't taken because you have to use runes to damage, and by doing so you lose FS/CS damage and bursting damage.
    For M+, this is largely correct. SR or Defile at 100 is pretty much player pref.

As for why, Bursting Spores causes your wounds to explode for damage. Sludge belcher causes your Abom to AoE in a circle, and with Infected Claw, it will apply wounds to all targets hit. DnD/Defile causes your scourge strike to hit all targets, and thus, pop all wounds. With Bursting spores, it causes each mob to cleave, on top of your aoe dot/dnd ticking, on top of you AoE scourge striking. Given that Dark Transformation is about a 1m CD, you can do this on pretty much every other pack.

UH does very well in the hands of someone who is planning ahead, either by the 3-4 GCD mark, or the 1-3 CD usage in a dungeon. you'll want to use Apoc on trash if you are 90s from a boss (3-4 trash packs away). A.) 6 wounds popping for aoe, B.) debuffs on targets.) C.) Ghouls explode after 15s. Uh is 100% about CD stacking for maximum effect, and I've never seen any class put up burst AoE numbers like I can, nor have I seen another class to 36m damage in 1 global.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vycaus View Post
    For M+, this is largely correct. SR or Defile at 100 is pretty much player pref.

As for why, Bursting Spores causes your wounds to explode for damage. Sludge belcher causes your Abom to AoE in a circle, and with Infected Claw, it will apply wounds to all targets hit. DnD/Defile causes your scourge strike to hit all targets, and thus, pop all wounds. With Bursting spores, it causes each mob to cleave, on top of your aoe dot/dnd ticking, on top of you AoE scourge striking. Given that Dark Transformation is about a 1m CD, you can do this on pretty much every other pack.

UH does very well in the hands of someone who is planning ahead, either by the 3-4 GCD mark, or the 1-3 CD usage in a dungeon. you'll want to use Apoc on trash if you are 90s from a boss (3-4 trash packs away). A.) 6 wounds popping for aoe, B.) debuffs on targets.) C.) Ghouls explode after 15s. Uh is 100% about CD stacking for maximum effect, and I've never seen any class put up burst AoE numbers like I can, nor have I seen another class to 36m damage in 1 global.
    One of the most rewarding things in the game at the moment, for me, is those long pulls in mythics, using FE and sludge belcher to get wounds on as many unique mobs as i can, then dropping dnd and watching those numbers fly.

Sometimes I also use blighted rune weapon. great to stack wounds fast on trash and awesome in bosses to avoid FS 2 wounds retardness.
    But yeah I absolutely understand why PP is used, but give BRW a go, even in raid

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TiagoRamos View Post
    Sometimes I also use blighted rune weapon. great to stack wounds fast on trash and awesome in bosses to avoid FS 2 wounds retardness.
    But yeah I absolutely understand why PP is used, but give BRW a go, even in raid
    I have been tempted to give brw a go purely because of on pull range crap.

I will hsve a play with it.