Thread: 7.2 Class Mount

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

7.2 Class Mount

At least it's an improvement over the first version that was shown some weeks ago.

Still it think the mount itself is mediocre at best. The axes look like peon hatches, pretty much scrap metal. The armor looks kinda boring and uninspired. The idea of having a armored, arms carrying protodrake is great but its not executed well enough. I hope they polish this one further.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio9 View Post
    At least it's an improvement over the first version that was shown some weeks ago.

Still it think the mount itself is mediocre at best. The axes look like peon hatches, pretty much scrap metal. The armor looks kinda boring and uninspired. The idea of having a armored, arms carrying protodrake is great but its not executed well enough. I hope they polish this one further.
    Kind of a theme with the Warrior Class Hall as well. I can't begin to explain how disappointed I am that the "ultimate Vrykul Warriors" use the most basic weaponry and armor, while simultaneously telling stories of how great their master smiths are.

Our Champions themselves reflect that, they look like a complete joke next to the crazy detail most other classes get; and half of them are using 9 year old Wrath models.

Also it should have been a Storm Dragon. I don't give a damn if it's also used for Gladiator mounts, so were Cloud Serpents and Netherwings, and nobody cried over it. Proto-drakes are overdone, and not present *at all* in Legion, so it doesn't even make sense within the narrative, given that it's supposed to be tied to the Class Hall.

Basically we should have had this, uparmored and enhanced:

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Kind of a theme with the Warrior Class Hall as well. I can't begin to explain how disappointed I am that the "ultimate Vrykul Warriors" use the most basic weaponry and armor, while simultaneously telling stories of how great their master smiths are.

Our Champions themselves reflect that, they look like a complete joke next to the crazy detail most other classes get; and half of them are using 9 year old Wrath models.

Also it should have been a Storm Dragon. I don't give a damn if it's also used for Gladiator mounts, so were Cloud Serpents and Netherwings, and nobody cried over it. Proto-drakes are overdone, and not present *at all* in Legion, so it doesn't even make sense within the narrative, given that it's supposed to be tied to the Class Hall.

I dont think anyone would argue that.

Then again from datamining it looks like our storyline continues to be pants on head retarded.

One scenario where we defend Odynn from yet another pissed off female Vrykul who was wronged by him. May be Skovald's daughter since she calls herself the God Queen.

Another scenario where we prove ourselves to Odynn AGAIN by winning a tournament (Tirion mode activate). My guess is the prize is a proto-drake despite them being exclusive to northrend. Isnt this the 5th time we've proven ourselves?

1. At the broken isle against a pit lord
    2. In Stormheim doing all the trials to get the Aegis
    3. Beating Skovald
    4. Beating Helya
    5. Beating some sort of super tournament.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio9 View Post

Proto-drake have an innate issue in that they look way better when no ones riding. Their shape is not good looking for carrying riders since they are essentially a big saucer. Also doesnt help that the coloring on the whole thing is god awful (vibrant red with dull greys for armor). The Paladin and Mage mounts get a lot of crap but at least I'm fairly sure people will commonly use them. I dont think anyones going to use the warrior mount much if at all.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

7+ Year Old Account

issue is that exact mount armored is the gladiadtor mount for legion... so its allrready in the game
    and unarmored versions were datamined so we may see them later in the expansion (kinda weird we havent seen them yet... woulda been perfect to come in ToV)
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    issue is that exact mount armored is the gladiadtor mount for legion... so its allrready in the game
    and unarmored versions were datamined so we may see them later in the expansion (kinda weird we havent seen them yet... woulda been perfect to come in ToV)
    What you're not understanding is that in the past, that did not matter. Unarmored, the Netherdrakes were player obtainable mounts, given 30 days of work on netherwing ledge. In Mists of Pandaria, Cloud Serpents were PVP gladiator mounts, and player obtainable through 30 days of work in Valley of the Four Winds. In Warlords of Draenor, the same thing, there were armored versions of the mounts, and with some days of work or camping spawns you could get a Gronnling of your own.

My bottom line point is this: the Valarjar, Odyn, and Vrykul are all inherently linked to Storm Drakes in this expansion. The blue/caucasian (?) Vrykul in WOTLK were linked to blue/red drakes, but players essentially ended their connection to those creatures through a series of quests.

The protodrake being offered is some sort of abomination never before seen, and never before looked at. It shares no aesthetic with the Vrykul kit, and if it was at least consistent, it would be significantly better. It doesn't share a look with the WOTLK vrykul mounts. It feels to me as if this is some sort of art project done for busy work's sake and then used as an asset for warriors. In all honesty, this mount should have been the gladiator mount, and the storm drakes should have been the warrior mounts.
    #SargerasIsComingToSaveUs

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyl View Post
    What you're not understanding is that in the past, that did not matter. Unarmored, the Netherdrakes were player obtainable mounts, given 30 days of work on netherwing ledge. In Mists of Pandaria, Cloud Serpents were PVP gladiator mounts, and player obtainable through 30 days of work in Valley of the Four Winds. In Warlords of Draenor, the same thing, there were armored versions of the mounts, and with some days of work or camping spawns you could get a Gronnling of your own.

My bottom line point is this: the Valarjar, Odyn, and Vrykul are all inherently linked to Storm Drakes in this expansion. The blue/caucasian (?) Vrykul in WOTLK were linked to blue/red drakes, but players essentially ended their connection to those creatures through a series of quests.

The protodrake being offered is some sort of abomination never before seen, and never before looked at. It shares no aesthetic with the Vrykul kit, and if it was at least consistent, it would be significantly better. It doesn't share a look with the WOTLK vrykul mounts. It feels to me as if this is some sort of art project done for busy work's sake and then used as an asset for warriors. In all honesty, this mount should have been the gladiator mount, and the storm drakes should have been the warrior mounts.
    again... the unarmored versions are mounts... they are just not in the game yet.... and the armored version is the pvp glad mount...
    im not saying "you cant have the unarmored version because the gladiator version is a armored one"
    im saying
    A. warriors would scream bloody murder if they got just a unarmored stormdrake... when pvpers can get armoured versions of their exact mount...
    B. there is allready like 7 unarmoured stormdrake mounts that just arnt able to be obtained yet
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-01-23 at 03:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    again... the unarmored versions are mounts... they are just not in the game yet.... and the armored version is the pvp glad mount...
    im not saying "you cant have the unarmored version because the gladiator version is a armored one"
    im saying
    A. warriors would scream bloody murder if they got just a unarmored stormdrake... when pvpers can get armoured versions of their exact mount...
    B. there is allready like 7 unarmoured stormdrake mounts that just arnt able to be obtained yet
    I don't think we'd scream murder if we got unarmored at all; we just want A Stormdrake. I think that's the thematic argument. Now that I think about it though; you're likely right that there are Stormdrakes not yet available as mounts but will be. I think there will be a time where ALL players can grind one out at some point perhaps or they are a drop. I'll just ride around on that rather than my retardoprotodrake then.
    #SargerasIsComingToSaveUs

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we'd scream murder if we got unarmored at all; we just want A Stormdrake. I think that's the thematic argument. Now that I think about it though; you're likely right that there are Stormdrakes not yet available as mounts but will be. I think there will be a time where ALL players can grind one out at some point perhaps or they are a drop. I'll just ride around on that rather than my retardoprotodrake then.
    the protodrake is a protodrake/stormdrake hybrid

Would have rather ridden the back of a vigorous and beautiful winged maiden.. or been carried by one. Drakes (of all types) are over done.

Its hideous and looks like a punched lasagna.

It feels to me as if this is some sort of art project done for busy work's sake and then used as an asset for warriors. In all honesty, this mount should have been the gladiator mount, and the storm drakes should have been the warrior mounts.
    Well, that is in line with how they have handled our class feedback in WoD and Legion, and our "class fantasy" as Archimtiros so correctly pointed out. When WW monks got quality changes after their top notch monk players schooled Celestalon in a feedback thread, and we got jack shit it, it only reinforced the impression of them not really caring that much about warriors.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Did you miss the part where I said to "up armor and enhance it"?

The point of the picture was just an example from the Broken Shore to show that there's an innate connection between the Vrykul, whom our Class Hall story is based around, and the Storm Dragons; a connection which does not exist with Proto-drakes, making it silly for us to be given one as a class hall mount.

As for Gladiator mounts, yes, Storm Dragons are also Gladiator mounts. That doesn't mean they can't be used by non-gladiators as well. BC and MoP did it with no complaint from the playerbase, and if they can manage to make 30 different Proto-drake mounts and still come out with new ones, I think they can manage to make more than 5 Storm Dragons.

- - - Updated - - -

the protodrake is a protodrake/stormdrake hybrid
    No, I'm pretty sure it's just a Proto-drake. I don't think there's any such thing as a "hybrid" or what basis you would have to draw such a conclusion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you miss the part where I said to "up armor and enhance it"?

The point of the picture was just an example from the Broken Shore to show that there's an innate connection between the Vrykul, whom our Class Hall story is based around, and the Storm Dragons; a connection which does not exist with Proto-drakes, making it silly for us to be given one as a class hall mount.

As for Gladiator mounts, yes, Storm Dragons are also Gladiator mounts. That doesn't mean they can't be used by non-gladiators as well. BC and MoP did it with no complaint from the playerbase, and if they can manage to make 30 different Proto-drake mounts and still come out with new ones, I think they can manage to make more than 5 Storm Dragons.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I'm pretty sure it's just a Proto-drake. I don't think there's any such thing as a "hybrid" or what basis you would have to draw such a conclusion.
    no such thing as a hybrid? whut? do you not know whats the whole fucking chromatic dragonflight is about?

and again, if you have an armored stormdrake, and pvpers have a differant armored storm drake, do you really think people would go "oh yeah thats so fucking cool!"

no such thing as a hybrid? whut? do you not know whats the whole fucking chromatic dragonflight is about?

and again, if you have an armored stormdrake, and pvpers have a differant armored storm drake, do you really think people would go "oh yeah thats so fucking cool!"
    I know you're being contrary for the sheer sake of being contrary, but in what way is the warrior mount like a storm drake? No tattooes (a defining feature of the storm drakes), the bodies are nothing alike, and there is no sort of storm motif or effect with this mount.

You can't say its a hybrid when it only has characteristics of one.

EDIT: Also the chromatic flight was different dragons of the same sort of breed being shoved together (as in no proto drakes, no wind drakes, no storm drakes, no rock drakes, no nether drakes, no Cloud Serpents, all just normal drakes). Your comparison to the chromatic would fit if this mount was a combination of all proto drake types.

There have been no hybrid dragons of differing breeds and nothing pointing towards this being a hybrid of anything.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2017-01-24 at 12:12 AM.

Contextual clues would tell you that the statement meant there was no such established concept in game lore as a proto-drake/storm dragon hybrid; not that the word didn't apply to anything else.

The Chromatic Dragonflight is explained in-game with source material explaining their existence; the dragonflights are also all the same race, whereas Prot-drakes and Storm Dragons are two completely different species. Randomly saying "this mount is a hybrid of X and Y" is not; you literally made it up on the spot which is why I said I don't know what basis you would have to draw such a conclusion.

Finally, yes, I do think it'd be fine; given that it has been done in multiple expansions before without complaint, and the fact that the game isn't already oversaturated with copycats of the same model. Conversely, I could ask you the same question: when there are 30 Proto-drakes in game, do you think people would get excited over their "unique class mount" being yet another copy of the same tired concept? Even aside from that, it still doesn't address the storyboard concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I know you're being contrary for the sheer sake of being contrary, but in what way is the warrior mount like a storm drake? No tattooes (a defining feature of the storm drakes), the bodies are nothing alike, and there is no sort of storm motif or effect with this mount.

EDIT: Also the chromatic flight was different dragons of the same sort of breed being shoved together (as in no proto drakes, no wind drakes, no storm drakes, no rock drakes, no nether drakes, no Cloud Serpents, all just normal drakes). Your comparison to the chromatic would fit if this mount was a combination of all proto drake types.

There have been no hybrid dragons of differing breeds and nothing pointing towards this being a hybrid of anything.
    Probably because it's red.

7+ Year Old Account

how does tatoos make a storm dragon? a stormdragon is a storm dragon with or without tatoos.... the defining feature of them is their control of electricity not fucking tatoos
    again "hybrid" they have the body type of a protodrake but are of the storm drake species and have control over lightning
    and as its odyns version of the proto drake (see dawn of the dragon)

there is only a few protodrake mounts, and only 1 other that has any sense of armor

to add a stormdrake with armor to then have 7 other armored ones from pvp dont you think that would be worse?

also arnt you one of the people complaining "they are making warriors too much vikings" yet your FOR giving them the literal fucking viking mount?

how does tatoos make a storm dragon? a stormdragon is a storm dragon with or without tatoos.... the defining feature of them is their control of electricity not fucking tatoos
    again "hybrid" they have the body type of a protodrake but are of the storm drake species and have control over lightning

there is only a few protodrake mounts, and only 1 other that has any sense of armor

to add a stormdrake with armor to then have 7 other armored ones from pvp dont you think that would be worse?

also arnt you one of the people complaining "they are making warriors too much vikings" yet your FOR giving them the literal fucking viking mount?
    Their mouth is molten on the warrior mount. There is nothing electric on the warrior mount.
    The tattoos on these new drakes are a very noticable visual characteristic
    A dragon is not a "literal fucking viking mount" unless you know jack all about vikings. In viking myth dragons tend to be opponents, not mounts. If we wanted a "literal fucking viking mount" it'd be a goat or a horse.

Their mouth is molten on the warrior mount. There is nothing electric on the warrior mount.
    The tattoos on these new drakes are a very noticable visual characteristic
    A dragon is not a "literal fucking viking mount" unless you know jack all about vikings. In viking myth dragons tend to be opponents, not mounts. If we wanted a "literal fucking viking mount" it'd be a goat or a horse.
    The poster is not referring to real like vikings though. They are obviously referring to the Vrykul, which in Broken Shore, ride storm dragons... Wrath Vrykul mostly road proto drakes.

To be fair though the BS Vrykul are forcing the dragons. It seems to just be the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    The poster is not referring to real like vikings though. They are obviously referring to the Vrykul, which in Broken Shore, ride storm dragons... Wrath Vrykul mostly road proto drakes.

To be fair though the BS Vrykul are forcing the dragons. It seems to just be the bad ones.
    True enough, I honestly would prefer we had neither the storm drake mount nor this new proto drake, but given the choice I would prefer the storm drake since proto drakes are kinda derpy and not nearly as badass.

I would prefer a mount that a warrior could actually fight upon. Not something that would do the fighting. But that is but a pipe dream.

And how exactly did you come to that conclusion? This isn't even hyperbole, you're flat out making up "facts" to try to make your case.

That wasn't my complaint, but during alpha/beta I did complain that the class hall story was too centered on the Vrykul. However, that time is past, and since they story we do have is centered on Broken Isles Vrykul, it makes little sense to award a mount from said story that has nothing to do with the Broken Isles Vrykul.