Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is Trump breaking election vows?

So, first of all, I don't live in the US and I am not a Trump supporter. But the news over here (Europe) seems to show a picture of someone that keeps going back on his own words. Now I am interested if this is also reported in the US itself or if it is no big deal over there.

The latest example was only yesterday when it was in our national news that Trump will not give us his tax returns while he did promise he would after some "audit" he said prevented him during the election. Now the news reports he says only the media wants this, at the same time it was said that 75% of democrats and 52% of republicans still wanted his tax returns.

Another example was how during the election he kept saying that one of the first things he would do is put Clinton in jail (or at least open a investigation) yet it was reported here that he asked for a standing applause for Bill and Hillary during his inauguration.

Now I searched online and found more examples here:
    http://reverbpress.com/politics/15-b...les-migraines/

Do people, and in particular, republicans, not care about these broken promises or is it being dismissed as "not important"?
    Last edited by mmoc1ca4e98b3e; 2017-01-23 at 03:13 PM.

Because he played people with the outsider angle without ever meaning to uphold anything.

Because he does not give a fuck and just spews out bullshit randomly. He lies and deceives as he pleases and cares little about facts or truths. And apparently his voters are so delusional and stupid that they believe the word of Trump, a proven pathological liar, to be true without any skepticism. I guess he has just broken so many promises by now, no one gives a fuck anymore.

Can't imagine him lasting long, will probably get impeached within the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly you are remembering an alternative version of events.

When do politicians keep any of their pre-election vows? And Trump doesn't seem like the most trustworthy fellow even before he went into politics.

Politics are a game where you spew as much bullshit as the public likes to hear to get them vote for you. After you have won, you can pretty much do whatever you please.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    The latest example was only yesterday when it was in our national news that Trump will not give us his tax returns while he did promise he would after some "audit" he said prevented him during the election. Now the news reports he says only the media wants this, at the same time it was said that 75% of democrats and 52% of republicans still wanted his tax returns.

Another example was how during the election he kept saying that one of the first things he would do is put Clinton in jail (or at least open a investigation) yet it was reported here that he asked for a standing applause for Bill and Hillary during his inauguration.
    Trump never said that it was fake news invented by the liberal media.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they find a way to excuse this, his supporters are really delusional

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    So, first of all, I don't live in the US and I am not a Trump supporter. But the news over here (Europe) seems to show a picture of someone that keeps going back on his own words. Now I am interested if this is also reported in the US itself or if it is no big deal over there.

Now I searched online and found more examples here:
    http://reverbpress.com/politics/15-b...les-migraines/

Do people, and in particular, republicans, not care about these broken promises or is it being dismissed as "not important"?
    He did not violate any election vows. The is no requirement to release his tax returns. Personally I do not give 2 shits if he does or not. What I care about is if he sticks to his pledges on policies efforts, which early indications suggest he certainly will. Within congressional approval of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    What I care about is if he sticks to his pledges on policies efforts, which early indications suggest he certainly will.
    And he drained that swamp and locked Her up like a champ already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Can't imagine him lasting long, will probably get impeached within the year.
    Well keep in mine to be impeached requires more than just being disgusted with the President. He has to actually break the law and you have to prove he did. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Trump never said that it was fake news invented by the liberal media.
    I heard him say this during one of those debates myself... like literally out of his mouth? Well I looked it up in the debate scripts just to be sure and here it is:

"If I win I am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation"

Now he asks for a applause for the Clintons and scrapped that idea. That IS going back on words is it not?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    He did not violate any election vows. The is no requirement to release his tax returns. Personally I do not give 2 shits if he does or not. What I care about is if he sticks to his pledges on policies efforts, which early indications suggest he certainly will. Within congressional approval of course.
    Lock her up? Mexico will pay for the wall? 3 million deportations? I will never settle a court case?drain the swamp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Trump lies, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Trump lies, end of story.
    Everybody lies, end of story*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    And he drained that swamp and locked Her up like a champ already.
    He said she should be locked up and I do not care if he does or not. Past bad shit, time to move on. And he did remove a lot of the swamp shit when he took office. Most of Obama's staff is history and the lobbyists.

Every president starts breaking their "promises" as soon as they get into office. Some a little, some a whole hell of a lot, but the sad fact is most voters are gullible rubes who will for inexplicable reasons take obvious rhetoric and impossible or impractical promises as facts when they should know better.

Trump may very well be much worse than any relatively recent POTUS in that regard but the general idea of broken promises is basically the norm.

He's just 3 days into his term. Maybe next year we can take stock.

All those politicians who broke their vows in the past? It makes it hard to hold anyone accountable even Trump.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    The question that should be asked is, why did people even choose that guy knowing what a self-centered, arrogant jerk he was?

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    Everybody lies, end of story*
    Yes, yes they do.

Trump just tends to lie more often than others, and often times when his claims can be proven wrong quite easily.