MP/AP playstyle questions

Just a couple of questions now that I've been forced to play this spec against my will (rip Exsang).

SoT - Are we treating this like the new EP - in that we want to Envenom at 4+ CP? Seems to me that hitting Envenom inside SoT timer is going to be a huge increase because it's poison damage, but to do that you end up mostly having to use just 1 muta (2/3 CP) between envenoms and the damage is crap. Or are people pooling energy, doing muta->muta->envenom in a quick burst?

As I understand it SoT scales with EP, so hitting 4+ > Hitting envenom inside SoT?

SoT Uptime - EP needed a 100% uptime for BoTA/KB/Vendetta. SoT needs a 100% uptime with KB and Bag of Tricks only?

AoE - People say MP/AP is better for AoE than EP/AP - but that's only with DP on? That means switching midfight to DP anytime you will need to burst FoK things? FoK with AP on is going to be pointless yeah? Other than using it to keep up multiple 5 stack APs on big cleave mobs while doing ST and tab rupture stuff.

I realise these are pretty simple questions, but clarifying them would be really appreciated. I don't like the spec very much, but bow to it's supremacy.

Deleted
    There are some key differences between EP and SoT. EP is a buff on the player that is always 12% for 5 seconds regardless of the number of CB used. SoT is a 5 seconds Debuff on the target you use your finishers on that depends on the number of combo points used. The SoT debuff does not give the dmg increase, but it buffs the AP debuff. So your dmg increase is on the that specific target and only after you reapply the AP Poison debuff. As long as you do not overwrite the "Buffed" AP stack with a non-SoT AP you still benefit from the SoT dmg increase. This can sometimes be very long especially if you do not have the envenom buff.

There is no direct AoE for Assassination rogue outside of PB and FoK (which does very little without the legendary cloak). Your strategy is to multi dot low CB ruptures and start fishing for PB procs. There is a very special way to play Sin in M+, but its mostly better to play Outlaw unless you are doing 10++.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoji View Post
    There are some key differences between EP and SoT. EP is a buff on the player that is always 12% for 5 seconds regardless of the number of CB used. SoT is a 5 seconds Debuff on the target you use your finishers on that depends on the number of combo points used. The SoT debuff does not give the dmg increase, but it buffs the AP debuff. So your dmg increase is on the that specific target and only after you reapply the AP Poison debuff. As long as you do not overwrite the "Buffed" AP stack with a non-SoT AP you still benefit from the SoT dmg increase. This can sometimes be very long especially if you do not have the envenom buff.

Thank you for clarifying that!

Deleted
    SoT double dips you poison bomb and kingsbane. Both spells are affected by SoT and the buffed AP poison. All the other spells are only affected by the buffed AP poison. AP is not automatically buffed, it needs to be reapplied within the SoT uptime to get the benifit from it. The SoT buff on AP vanishes if you reapply AP poison outside of the SoT uptime. Before and during kingsbane its recommended to have 100% SoT uptime. Since AP is usually not refreshed at the same time SoT adds/fades, you dont need 100% uptime without kingsbane.
    Last edited by mmoca163a27034; 2017-01-23 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elprofessor View Post
    SoT double dips you poison bomb and kingsbane. Both spells are affected by SoT and the buffed AP poison. All the other spells are only affected by the buffed AP poison. AP is not automatically buffed, it needs to be reapplied within the SoT uptime to get the benifit from it. The SoT buff on AP vanishes if you reapply AP poison outside of the SoT uptime. Before and during kingsbane its recommended to have 100% SoT uptime. Since AP is usually not refreshed at the same time SoT adds/fades, you dont need 100% uptime without kingsbane.
    Great advice, thanks. I assumed - before - that envenom would be boosted by SoT as poison damage (rather than it just boosting poisons). Understanding how it interacts with AP is beneficial.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rezilve View Post
    Just a couple of questions now that I've been forced to play this spec against my will (rip Exsang).

SoT - Are we treating this like the new EP - in that we want to Envenom at 4+ CP? Seems to me that hitting Envenom inside SoT timer is going to be a huge increase because it's poison damage, but to do that you end up mostly having to use just 1 muta (2/3 CP) between envenoms and the damage is crap. Or are people pooling energy, doing muta->muta->envenom in a quick burst?

As I understand it SoT scales with EP, so hitting 4+ > Hitting envenom inside SoT?

SoT Uptime - EP needed a 100% uptime for BoTA/KB/Vendetta. SoT needs a 100% uptime with KB and Bag of Tricks only?

AoE - People say MP/AP is better for AoE than EP/AP - but that's only with DP on? That means switching midfight to DP anytime you will need to burst FoK things? FoK with AP on is going to be pointless yeah? Other than using it to keep up multiple 5 stack APs on big cleave mobs while doing ST and tab rupture stuff.

I realise these are pretty simple questions, but clarifying them would be really appreciated. I don't like the spec very much, but bow to it's supremacy.
    RIP Exsang? Aethys sims, and my personal sims say Exsang is better than AP...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    No matter what I do with both programs (simc and amr) exsang always sims at least 50k lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    Sorry, I meant for me in particular since I got pushed up above 140% mastery and lost crit with my best available gear.

When I was sitting around 120% with mid-40's crit at the start of the week, Xsang/EP/MP were all close enough to make me choose whatever I enjoyed most. The difference is some 50k (on sims and dummy) now that I have various new gear.