Protection 8/10 H Feelin' Squishy, Help

Hey all,

My guild is 8/10H (We were 7/7M 2/3M) working on Elisande now and I need some assistance in finding the opportunities to decrease my damage intake. My self healing rankings are very high but my damage intake is off the charts. I have the weak aura for devastator but absolutely hate the playstyle and am struggling with it. I find myself ripping aggro from our druid tank at the worst times with my regular rotations. On the fights we are doing now I am taking way more damage than I used to with Indom in Mythic EN fights. The damage intake compared between myself and the druid are so horribly skewed on alot of fights. Any suggestions? What did you guys do to help management of the swing timer besides the weak aura? Shield block uptime can be higher but I find myself hamstringing my rotation slightly at times to account for the extra aggro.

For progression I just feel too squishy with devastator, the extra IP and HP Indomitable provides feel just way more reliable.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PBxTgtdbMCk1YD9q Bosses 1-3
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/gz1P3B8Z2Ky4aYQG Bosses 4-8

Thanks!

Deleted
    Your shield block uptime is low on a lot of fights. But in particular, you often do not have Shield Block active when tank switching - meaning you go from taking no damage to lots of damage in an instant. Not something healers appreciate.

See Tichondrus for example:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...t=14&source=15

Here we find that 61.55% of attacks made against you were not blocked; and as a result some 20m-30m damage likely could've been prevented.

Note that during the entire span of Heroism - you did not Shield Block once, but were taking heavy Melee damage, had 5 Ignore Pain casts, and 10+ revenge casts.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2017-01-23 at 06:30 AM.

Have the same exact problem. Hell, unless I'm pulling I can't even DPS the boss at the start/when swapping or I'll get aggro due to the ridiculous damage. Still getting used to the new playstyle, vengeance with revenge still just feels clunky as all hell.

Your shield block uptime is indeed though way too low (30% on Tichondrius, I had 67% and that could probably be a bit better as well) and your vengeance weaving could use some work.
    Last edited by Soilx3; 2017-01-23 at 06:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i love Devastator in M+ ... but for heroic raiding i switched to indom after 4 bosses. And to be honest. It feels pretty solid for progression raiding. I pull 200k +dps and can do about 250k HPS and bosses die instead of me. I was pulling better numbers in all fronts running deva but i ended up getting myself killed more then once so this (for me) works better right now.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe use armor potions instead in place of a personal CD, I would not even touch another talent with both of those Legendary items as they are improved with your health total... the 2 set and 4 set bonuses are something I would consider perhaps using more mastery as it benefits from it and versatility does not. Haste is still good but utilizing your gear is more important, a lot of Mastery with a 4 set means u can spend more rage and make your bracers work better... If you take all of you versatility enchants away and put in double strength trinkets I believe your Ignore Pain Value would be equal to or more then what it currently sits at so at the very least that could reduce some damage you take.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    i love Devastator in M+ ... but for heroic raiding i switched to indom after 4 bosses. And to be honest. It feels pretty solid for progression raiding. I pull 200k +dps and can do about 250k HPS and bosses die instead of me. I was pulling better numbers in all fronts running deva but i ended up getting myself killed more then once so this (for me) works better right now.
    I feel exactly the same way. But i think my problem with Devastator is more of a getting used to the playstyle, so i'm sticking with it for as long as i can, without hurting raid progress. I still find myself doing the old rotation sometimes, specially on high movement part of the fights, becausem y fingers just go in auto-mode, back to what they are used to.

It honestly feels really stupid that Blizzard made such a huge change to what has been the prot warrior playstyle for AGES, in the mid of an expansion. The change to FR/IP felt natural and we had enough time to get used to it going up from 100 to 110 + the gear up to the 1st raid. Now, we had barely 1 week to get settled in the new play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Defm0nk View Post
    I would not even touch another talent with both of those Legendary items as they are improved with your health total
    Would this not be a stronger case for indom talent if it will make my two legendaries more potent?

Trinkets are definitely something I have been swapping around, I picked up the NH trinket and was trying it out last night, it seems very underwhelming, and the 6min cd is so awful, but it did save me a couple times during some burst. I will be going back to my EN/stat sticks for more blanket coverage based on the damage i was taking this week.

Thanks!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Menox View Post
    Would this not be a stronger case for indom talent if it will make my two legendaries more potent?
    Right I would just build your talents around your gear it would help your logs more then building it around what guides online would suggest, these are great guidelines but as far as Mythic raiding is or end game raiding is concerned you want to optimize your gear/ILVL as much as possible by building your spec around your gear as Warriors in general scale well with gear. Those legendary items are nice and would work great without devastator as your Health increase would help increase your survivability, I would however try for double strength trinkets as this would allow you to generate more threat and compete with other tank classes for threat and help with tighter enrage timers on progression fights as well as increase your ignore pain by a large amount... I run the same strength trinket as u with the Ichor and the one from Tichondrius the 20% leech as healing is absurd... LOL

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Menox View Post

Trinkets are definitely something I have been swapping around, I picked up the NH trinket and was trying it out last night, it seems very underwhelming, and the 6min cd is so awful, but it did save me a couple times during some burst. I will be going back to my EN/stat sticks for more blanket coverage based on the damage i was taking this week.

Thanks!
    Grab an Immortality deck. Every tank should have one right now, especially with higher Artifact Levels. Get ~3k armor with an 8, and even ace to 3 give decent physical DR.

Hey guys I got a question, when I have enough rage and my shield block is about to expire by 1 second, sometimes it doesn't activate when I hit the button. Is there a CD on it or something? I try to maintain 100% block uptime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsujin View Post
    Hey guys I got a question, when I have enough rage and my shield block is about to expire by 1 second, sometimes it doesn't activate when I hit the button. Is there a CD on it or something? I try to maintain 100% block uptime.
    Never had that happen to me ... maybe some network / latency issues ?

I'm kind of in the same position right now after clearing Normal and doing 2/10 Heroic. I wasn't sure at first until we started heroics, and I'm definitely feeling squishier, but mainly on these fights with high magic damage. I'm trying to pick up an Immortality trinket but for now I'm using Dragons & Il'gynoth trinkets from heroics. Trying to grab a Xavius trinket as well.

I'm thinking of going to indomitable for progression (at least for magic damage), but I also have the gloves + bracer legendaries so I don't have much of an option other than sticking with Devastator. So I'd better stick with that to get best results.

We run with 2 Warrior tanks in the raid, but on most fights I'm taking more damage, only by a couple percent, but still. Trying to improve where I can.

Sorry don't have any logs to post.