Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The NBA last two minute report for the game has a clean video of the incident in question.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. On one hand, that's technically a technical foul. On the other hand, he's the god of basketball and drama/explosiveness like that is what makes the NBA games get views. So...I'd let it slide if I was a ref. It's not like he was preventing them from inbounding.

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Haven't posted in mmo nba for ages, over the past 2 years i kinda felt there were a lot of under educated and over opinionated dicks here that tried to act like they knew more about bball than the next man. There is no reason at all to call people insults over there sports opinions. If you did that to someones face where i come from it would most likely get slapped off. Anyway, happy new year.
    I remember you, fixit. Post some more. Even if I am under-educated and over-opinionated, and I think I know more than Adam Silver about basketball.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Reread, and misread phaelix's post. Still, I advise you two to cut it out, since I know this stems back to the debates over the collapse in the previous matchup. Don't bait each other.
    Crissi, besides my last comment, when was I baiting or otherwise impolite? Frankly, I thought our debate was quite civil up until his last remark.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I'm not playing dumb, I just think your definition of a collapse is missing a key component. To collapse, it requires not just a swing in points, or a swing in win percentage (which honestly can be exacerbated by the relative difference in the game and the lateness of the run), but it requires that the lead be established before it is lost.

In the previous game, I'd call the 14 point Warriors swing a run and the Cavs 14 point swing a run because they were quick, and back to back. 95% of that game was spent within 5 points of even. The Warriors made a push and grew that lead to 14 super-briefly before the Cavs made a similar push to even the game again.
    I've already covered this. Point swings happen, but not that big or that often especially toward the end of games. Said another way: if the Warriors ran off a run to take a 14 point lead with 8 minutes to go in the fourth quarter against the Cavs (or really any team) and we ran this scenario a million times, how often do you think they'll lose?

There's a reason for that 3.4% win probability for the Cavs at that point.

If it bothers you so much, we can stop here and chalk it up to semantics.

From my POV: I'm going to call a 96.6% win probability that ended in a loss a collapse.

Deleted
    Well the NBA plan definitely worked. As always.

Here we are - usually reserved posters flaming about meaningless regular season game.
    One can only imagine what happens in more active forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. On one hand, that's technically a technical foul. On the other hand, he's the god of basketball and drama/explosiveness like that is what makes the NBA games get views. So...I'd let it slide if I was a ref. It's not like he was preventing them from inbounding.
    The thing I think it's important to remember about those 'last 2 minutes' reports is that they, by definition, totally lack context.

I'm not saying that it's a straight-up 1-to-1 ratio or anything, but 'make-up' calls are certainly a thing, and they explain much of what we see in terms of some calls getting made and other calls not getting made. To achieve anything resembling a balanced perspective, we'd need to sit an unbiased observer down and have them review made and missed calls throughout a game and then see how balanced they are.

Having watched that game from open to close, from kind-of biased eyes (I live near Cleveland, and am a fan, but my 'real' team is the Spurs), the Cavs were owed a tech from the stupid one assessed to RJ for winking at Durant, and they were owed a solid no-call for the blatant charge committed by KD against Love earlier in the game that resulted in two free-throws.

As for last night's game, I luckily didn't watch a second of it. That said, if it has any meaning, it has about the same meaning as the beatdown the Spurs put on the Warriors at the beginning of the season. Barring injury or a Spursian intervention, these two teams will settle their differences in the Finals again, and that atmosphere will go a long way toward evening those two teams up.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arqentum View Post
    One can only imagine what happens in more active forums.
    Less inclination to grandstand from a high horse over a comment that was, at worst, a mild rebuke.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Haven't posted in mmo nba for ages, over the past 2 years i kinda felt there were a lot of under educated and over opinionated dicks here that tried to act like they knew more about bball than the next man. There is no reason at all to call people insults over there sports opinions. If you did that to someones face where i come from it would most likely get slapped off. Anyway, happy new year.

All Star starters got named last night.

East Starters: DeMar DeRozan, Kyrie Irving, LeBron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jimmy Butler
    West Starters: Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, Anthony Davis, James Harden

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    All Star starters got named last night.

East Starters: DeMar DeRozan, Kyrie Irving, LeBron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jimmy Butler
    West Starters: Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, Anthony Davis, James Harden
    I know that, to a degree, it's always been this way, but All-Star selection is so fucked.

On the one hand, it could be a lot of fun seeing almost nothing but PG's and SF's out there. On the other hand, where the fuck is Boogie?

We have added more than 6 teams in the last 30 years, and 25% of the rosters in the league are now foreign-born. They need to do something to expand the rosters- Maybe make it so the top 4 guards, 4 forwards, and 2 centers are each team's 'Honorary Starters' and the coaches pick another 10.

(Positions, though, are damn near stupid at this point. There are like 2 star shooting guards in the league, and most 'star' point guards take three shots for every assist they dish. Don't even get me started on 'power' forwards and centers. There are what, 5 starting-caliber centers in the league?)
    indignantgoat.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    I know that, to a degree, it's always been this way, but All-Star selection is so fucked.
    If it makes you feel better, in these past 2 days I've seen my vote not matter in two things I voted in...

But the voting this year was different for the All Star Game. I think fans got one vote, media got one vote, and players got one vote. Then they weighed them all.

The All-Star voting process, once a pure popularity contest for fans conducted on social media, was changed this year to prevent ballot box stuffing for wholly undeserving candidates. The new format included both player and media voting, creating the opportunity to compare the selections to see which block produced the most reasonable cast of candidates. Once the NBA released the full results of the player and media voting on Thursday, it quickly became clear that one of the two groups shouldn’t be entrusted with voting responsibilities in the future. And, no, it wasn’t the clueless writers who fall in love with sexy names.
    If you guys have the time, read the full article (LINK HERE). I highly HIGHLY recommend it. It's interesting and informative.

where the fuck is Boogie?
    His name/team wasn't big enough for people to vote for him. Probably, the coaches will add him in the reserves.

But to be honest, those West guys they named...there's a lot of competition in the West. I can see the case for all the guys that got picked.

We have added more than 6 teams in the last 30 years, and 25% of the rosters in the league are now foreign-born.
    So? Even if there were 500 teams in the NBA, we just need two for All Star night.

They need to do something to expand the rosters- Maybe make it so the top 4 guards, 4 forwards, and 2 centers are each team's 'Honorary Starters' and the coaches pick another 10.
    What does "top" position mean? Who picks that? The All Star game isn't a determination of whose best. The All Star game is for the fans to assemble a team of who they like and who they want to see play in a fun exhibition game.

On the one hand, it could be a lot of fun seeing almost nothing but PG's and SF's out there. On the other hand, where the fuck is Boogie?
    Do you really think he was more deserving than Westbrook, Harden, and Curry? Cause I sure dont. All star starters have always been a joke so who does or doesnt never matters. Didnt Kobe once start despite not playing a single game?

Hmmmmm. I was already in "fuck the NBA, go football" mode for tomorrow but....

Tonight on ABC Saturday nights:
    SAS (33-9) @ CLE (30-11). 8:30 PM.

I kinda wanna watch.

went to see my Bulls last night here in Atlanta, and it was just depressing. Down 30 at half? Sad.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Final Spurs win 118-115. It went to OT at 107-107. Kevin Love had a chance to tie to go to 2OT but he missed the 3 and ran to the locker room like a bitch while Lebron went to shake Pop's hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curry does not belong in that starting lineup. At all.

Deleted
    All Star is about ... stars.
    And Stars are determined by amount of fame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anakin57 View Post
    went to see my Bulls last night here in Atlanta, and it was just depressing. Down 30 at half? Sad.
    The Bulls are just pathetic this year. With the exception of the games against the knicks, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that shitfest.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2017-01-23 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    The Bulls are just pathetic this year. With the exception of the games against the knicks, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that shitfest.
    My favorite from Gar after shipping Rose: "We're going to go young this year." Then proceeds to sign Rondo and Wade, or in other words 4 ancient knees.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anakin57 View Post
    My favorite from Gar after shipping Rose: "We're going to go young this year." Then proceeds to sign Rondo and Wade, or in other words 4 ancient knees.
    The one good thing that might come out of this abysmal season is that Gar might get sent packing. I mean, we all know Rose had to go, but why stop there? What they did this year is just the worst thing they could have done. 8th playoff spot, no lottery pick, get swept in first round, yay.

10+ Year Old Account
    5th in the West, is it relevant enough that I can pay attention to basketball again, or is there no hope with the Warriors and their 19 superstars?

Warriors lost to Heat and Cavs lost to AD-less Pelicans... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Do you really think he was more deserving than Westbrook, Harden, and Curry? Cause I sure dont. All star starters have always been a joke so who does or doesnt never matters. Didnt Kobe once start despite not playing a single game?
    It's just moving in an NFL-ish direction where it's all QB's getting the recognition. 10 starters, not one center, only one PF.

The player vote made the fan vote look decent by comparison.

I would do a couple definite things:

1) Limit fan voting in some manner. Tie it to ticket stubs and NBA.com accounts. Something to make it 1-to-1.

2) Either have 5 positional group, or no positional groups.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arqentum View Post
    All Star is about ... stars.
    And Stars are determined by amount of fame.
    In a lot of cases, it's determined by ballot-box stuffing.
    indignantgoat.com/