10+ Year Old Account
    I know Setsuna isn't a game changer but it's something. I was interested in it till i found out the story is basically FFX. I don't need anymore depressing sacrificial savior games anytime soon. I just finished a major one. FFXV

Vita game? Might as well be new
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That doesn't mean that they've actually connected the power usb socket to the processor. They could just be using the driver chip for the power and the normal 2.0 for data. Does their processor choice even allow for full implementation of USB 3.1? I mean the protocol is a clusterfuck of optional support because the higher specs can't be reached by most systems, so it might in theory (but then you probably don't get much more than gloryfied 2.0). Has no one of the devs taken this thing apart yet? Tsk. :P.

Edit: I'm kinda confused what the point of the USB on the back is anyway. I just rewatched the presentation and you plug in a USB-C into the Switch itself, is that supposed to be for charging? The connection to the dock? Controller replacement? Only the charging is mentioned though, so I don't think it has many other uses.
    USB Type-C houses many more things really. One of the things about USB Type-C is that it natively supports DisplayPort protocols. That means both audio and video stream can go through it along with the data stream. Without USB Type-C the dock would have to be a lot more complicated. Along that it would have to violate the 5W spec from a typical USB Type-A socket. Granted Type-A actually can hit higher wattage but it's not in spec and generally requires better cord and what not else it becomes a fire hazard. However Type-C specs allow for 15W and cord allows for 100W though if it hits that high I'd be rather scared for a tablet, but the Tegra X1 from their old shield console thingy did hit 20W during gaming load, which is why I noted the USB Power Delivery.

Really the only things from Type-C that they need is just the DisplayPort, charging, and 3.0 bandwidth. It doesn't need ThunderBolt/PCI-E functionality and what not. Then again... what the hell are we allowed to transfer in/out of the device anyways? I guess hopefully screenshots? I hope we can do screenshots.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-01-23 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be clear, Setsuna had no Western Vita release, only PS4 and PC. Fix your jokes :P

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    To be clear, Setsuna had no Western Vita release, only PS4 and PC. Fix your jokes :P
    It was a Vita game, ported to PC and PS4 and now switch.

It wouldn't look like a handheld game if it wasn't first developed with the Vita in mind. Hell, even at that it still looks like a budget game by Vita standards.

Games like Lego dimensions require USB for the game to function
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Games like Lego dimensions require USB for the game to function
    What? No, they don't.

The Wii U/N3DS/Switch all have NFC readers built in why the hell do they need a usb device for the same function.

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    Fix your jokes :P
    I can't fix my life though.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    What? No, they don't.

The Wii U/N3DS/Switch all have NFC readers built in why the hell do they need a usb device for the same function.
    Lego dimensions has you build the portal. Technically it could use the built in NFC reader but you wouldn't be able to use multiple characters and vehicles and you'd lose the big portal

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    USB Type-C houses many more things really. One of the things about USB Type-C is that it natively supports DisplayPort protocols. That means both audio and video stream can go through it along with the data stream. Without USB Type-C the dock would have to be a lot more complicated. Along that it would have to violate the 5W spec from a typical USB Type-A socket. Granted Type-A actually can hit higher wattage but it's not in spec and generally requires better cord and what not else it becomes a fire hazard. However Type-C specs allow for 15W and cord allows for 100W though if it hits that high I'd be rather scared for a tablet, but the Tegra X1 from their old shield console thingy did hit 20W during gaming load, which is why I noted the USB Power Delivery.

Really the only things from Type-C that they need is just the DisplayPort, charging, and 3.0 bandwidth. It doesn't need ThunderBolt/PCI-E functionality and what not. Then again... what the hell are we allowed to transfer in/out of the device anyways? I guess hopefully screenshots? I hope we can do screenshots.
    I'm aware of that, I was asking about the thing on the dock (I thought this was what the discussion is about). From the looks of it they did the connection to the dock via the USB-C (not sure if I like that from a mechanical perspective though). But what is the point of the USB-A on the back? The C is only labeled with power , so I doubt it will have much more functionality than that. And I thought the other screenshots showed 2 A sockets on the left side for additional controllers (at least I figured that was their purpose).

Also since they put an extra button onto the thing I'd hope you can get screenshots off it.. though knowing gaming companies, they might be cloud only. It certainly wouldn't surprise me, lol.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-01-23 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm aware of that, I was asking about the thing on the dock (I thought this was what the discussion is about). From the looks of it they did the connection to the dock via the USB-C (not sure if I like that from a mechanical perspective though). But what is the point of the USB-A on the back? The C is only labeled with power , so I doubt it will have much more functionality than that. And I thought the other screenshots showed 2 A sockets on the left side for additional controllers (at least I figured that was their purpose).

Also since they put an extra button onto the thing I'd hope you can get screenshots off it.. though knowing gaming companies, they might be cloud only. It certainly wouldn't surprise me, lol.
    Oh, sorry yeah confusion.
    Hell if I know.

Tokyo RPG Factory was given minimal funding to placate the crowd that was asking for traditional JRPGs while they powered forward into Interactive Movie-land with the main FF series. It was basically a test game to see if there was still a market for it IMHO. Assuming its considered successful, we should see later titles with a better budget. Unfortunately, Tokyo RPG Factory saw a modest loss for the year of ~$2.4m USD, which doesn't bode well even if the game was considered only so-so. Although apparently the game was released only 1 month before the end of the fiscal year, so its probably not as dim as expected.

Hopefully that loss was partially tied to fixed costs of spooling up the studio. I have to wonder if S-E is just inefficient and that waste still hampers them despite being semi-"indie" in nature.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2017-01-23 at 10:20 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    There has continually been a market for traditional JRPG's, just companies like Square Enix are too stupid to localize them. Not to mention their shitty ass marketing of the games that they do localize. Can't blame low sales numbers for terrible marketing, or ya know, 3 year delays on releasing a game in the west.

The main problem with Setsuna is it's a $20 game being sold at $40.

Compared to other handheld style lower budget RPGs like WoFF, Bravely, SMTIV, Trails series, Xanadu series etc it is severely lacking in length, varied landscapes and raw content.

I think the reception for it would have been much better if it wasn't priced the same as above games while only being a shell of a JRPG compared to them. It's a hard pill to swallow to pay $40 for a 20 hour JRPG where you spend 100% of the game in a snowy backdrop, with no real end game or reason to play after finishing.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-23 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone seen the foxcon spawnwave video?

- - - Updated - - -

I know that its still underpowered, but if true it could be pretty good news. Who knows, im still hopeful its more powerful than we think. If devs had an X1 devkit to work on, games in 2-3 years would look better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reddit has updated their infographic. It's getting better, but still not what it should be. Really hope we see more and more week to week. Sorry if it's huge, not sure how to resize it or thumbnail it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are over a dozen games I want on that list that have a 2017 release slate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    There are over a dozen games I want on that list that have a 2017 release slate.
    Only two and a half for me. I REALLY don't care for Dynasty Warriors, but I'm considering giving Fire Emblem Warriors a chance, if stars align. I already own four of the games slated for 2017 on Steam.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    14 Here! And that' not including Virtual Console titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Only two and a half for me. I REALLY don't care for Dynasty Warriors, but I'm considering giving Fire Emblem Warriors a chance, if stars align. I already own four of the games slated for 2017 on Steam.
    I own almost none of the games on the list. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since gamecube that i actually played other than my 3ds. So games like Mario Kart are new to me. I also want Minecraft for on the go. Its fun every now and again. It needs to be no more than 29.99 though or I wont buy it. Even the ps4 version is 20 dollars so I see no reason for it to be 60.

- - - Updated - - -

I want

Zelda
    Binding of Isaac
    I am Setsuna
    Snipperclips
    Fast RMX
    Hasbeen Heroes
    Mario Kart 8
    Shovel Knight
    Rime
    Arms
    Sonic Mania
    Lego City
    Splatoon 2
    Skyrim
    Mario
    Project Sonic
    Minecraft
    Minecraft Storymode
    Xenoblade 2
    Yooka Laylee
    DBZ
    Rayman
    Stardew Valley

And games that I want that we arent sure when come out.

New Steamworld
    Dragonquest 11
    Fire Emblem
    DQ Heroes
    Pokemon
    Octopath Traveler

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the games on that list I havent played, and I imagine a lot I will wait for to come down in price. Ive only played about 5 hours of skyrim. Im excited to be able to just relax on my couch or bed and dig into that.