Thread: Monks in NH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why is it called dave?
    That's a long story.

Quote Originally Posted by Noocta View Post
    That's a long story.
    Informative... Let me guess though, was it a dumb joke started by an over rated steamer with a cult minded viewer base?

15+ Year Old Account
    Informative... Let me guess though, was it a dumb joke started by an over rated steamer with a cult minded viewer base?
    Sort of. There was a video podcast that ended last year called Monk Meditation with members from the Convert to Raid guild on Aerie Peak. The show has since disbanded (mostly due to the long hiatus during Hellfire Citidel). On the show, one of the co-hosts was Leblue; whom at the time was maining as a Brewmaster monk; and that is what he mostly talked about on the show. His personal nickname for the Ox statue was Dave and people just latched onto the nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Sort of. There was a video podcast that ended last year called Monk Meditation with members from the Convert to Raid guild on Aerie Peak. The show has since disbanded (mostly due to the long hiatus during Hellfire Citidel). On the show, one of the co-hosts was Leblue; whom at the time was maining as a Brewmaster monk; and that is what he mostly talked about on the show. His personal nickname for the Ox statue was Dave and people just latched onto the nickname.
    Oh wow, that's scary how close I was, lol. Thank you for the info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn those overrated steamers. I prefer the Philips GC440 steamer myself.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Damn those overrated steamers. I prefer the Philips GC440 steamer myself.
    Ya got me, I didn't see the typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Densalo View Post
    5/10H at the moment and I have to say monk feels pretty strong. Strengths I've noticed so far:
    Skorpyron: tanked adds (small and red) and several groups at a time when people flew out. Stun > Fort Brew and I was nowhere near death despite how devastating fatboss made them out to be. We 1 shot him with people messing up left and right.
    Spellblade: Taunting statue was really handy for grouping up frost adds during animate
    Krosus: Setting teleport behind first platform made the first dropoff a breeze, and one chi torpedo for each of the rest was all that was needed.

High Tolerance definitely earned its keep on a few bosses, specifically Spellblade Aluriel. Also HT + Mystic Vitality might be helpful on Krosus if you find you're getting hit really hard, since his debuff is fire damage. I didn't really get to test that combo though. DH did the job well enough.
    Were you close to dying so often that 10% more stagger wins out over BoC?

I can see the allure of Mystic Vitality on bosses with high magic damage (which NH has several) since losing Healing Elixirs is annoying but not major. But I'm sceptical that High Tolerance actually beats out BoC.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Were you close to dying so often that 10% more stagger wins out over BoC?

I can see the allure of Mystic Vitality on bosses with high magic damage (which NH has several) since losing Healing Elixirs is annoying but not major. But I'm sceptical that High Tolerance actually beats out BoC.
    it isnt that much fpr the 10% more stagger but more for the extra haste you get. with MV and HT you can play high mastry medio haste and end with high haste and high mastery working with high magic stagger.
    well at least if the fight dosent have predictable burst magic damage in which case DH wins. but the extra haste is still there

Deleted
    I'm 7/10 right now, my guild recently started raiding (we didn't have enough people, but we've been playing since launch, and did EN with pick ups always)
    I've been between 470k-500k in most of the fights (windwalker monk 878 DHC+Katsuo) my hands hurt after raid but Nighthold looks awesome and I can't wait for the next fights

Quote Originally Posted by arcuro View Post
    it isnt that much fpr the 10% more stagger but more for the extra haste you get. with MV and HT you can play high mastry medio haste and end with high haste and high mastery working with high magic stagger.
    well at least if the fight dosent have predictable burst magic damage in which case DH wins. but the extra haste is still there
    Last I heard you needed to spend large amounts of time on red stagger for HT haste to win out on BoC brew reduction.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Last I heard you needed to spend large amounts of time on red stagger for HT haste to win out on BoC brew reduction.
    Strongly depends on your haste since HT is a multiplier. If you have 30% baseline, even with medium stagger you already end up at 43%, which is quite massive.
    Also no problem being red with the right heal composition (I guess 1 Pala, 2 Druids help )

I like the MV/HT combo alot, smoothes so much and gives you a lot of control (especially when you have 1-2min ISB uptime for the last 1-2min of the fight and purify like crazy then while everyone goes into panic mode )

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Strongly depends on your haste since HT is a multiplier. If you have 30% baseline, even with medium stagger you already end up at 43%, which is quite massive.
    Why? It's absolute 5/10/15% values.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Strongly depends on your haste since HT is a multiplier.
    That's not correct, but the initial assertion was. HT does require being in Heavy Stagger to compete with BC on brew generation.

HT is inferior overall, and Haste gains outside of the whole-number Keg Smash cooldown breakpoints (14.3%, 33.4%, and 60% for 7, 6, and 5 sec CD's, respectively) are not significant. So, going from 30 to 42% is significant (albeit wasteful) because it steps up another Keg Smash CD breakpoint. Going from 18 to 29% would not be significant, because it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Llarold View Post
    That's not correct, but the initial assertion was. HT does require being in Heavy Stagger to compete with BC on brew generation.
    Ok, maybe that was a little bit of a stretch, though technically I am correct. At really high haste, HT + LB wins on brew gen compared to BoC + BoB.
    The difference between medium stagger HT for 30% basehaste and BoC is not that big btw, but obv BoC helps for BoB too (which haste doesn't).
    Then again 95% stagger is a huge difference to 85%

On high haste there are some pretty crazy scenarios possible with a little bit out of the box thinking.
    On 40% Haste you get to 61% with heavy stagger HT, which is another KS breakpoint (60% that is).
    LB gets pretty good at some point and overtakes BoB (guess somewhere around 50-60% or so, maybe a lil bit higher... which is not that many items away, see one line above)

There is a scenario where you could have 100% uptime on ED with 60% haste and LB (we will see how much we have at the last raid, but there will be nerfs )
    Which would mean base 40-45% dodge on fights where you can purify large often enough (20% ED, 10% golden trait, 10-15% base dodge). All that while purifying every few (4-6) seconds 65% of your stagger.

Deleted
    Not so bold prediction- WW Monk will once again be missing from first kill Guldan. At least Brewmaster might show up and outside chance for MW.

Good notes: Brew can just tank all adds on Tichondrius and tank multiple debuffs when running 2P + high tol. They only lifesteal off the initial hit, allowing for massive Cleave on boss.

Can anyone give me an estimate what ilvl ( or stats %haste/%mastery ) I should have when tanking Nighthold Normal? Currently I'm 863, but every now and then I get squished, compared to other tank classes from what I notice. Tried running both High Tolerance and Blackout Combo.

In all honesty, I haven't fixed my weak auras with Stagger Bar and Ironskin Brew duration, but was a bit demotivating.

Also I ran as WW dps on Botanist, after reaching all the way to Botanist with my Warlock .... How is Ranged DPS not better in ANY WAY than Melee? I was raid leading ( watching people do strats and stuff ) but at one point u have so much stuff on your head - aoe, spheres, adds ... thank for all the mobility WW has it still drops the DPS significantly ...

With my warlock just dot-dot-dot and ramp-up on 3 split ... u are much easier to get out of AoE and if u need to, got the legendary for instant Demon Portal xD

Because you can actually move while doing damage, dont get targeted by many boss abilities and especially as monk do a shitton of aoe and cleave damage. Also do that damage rapidly and not slowly.