Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pssssst.

Now that the US is out, China is back on the table.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/china-ey...23-gtxbi1.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...r-us-pulls-out
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...35016d76c187b2

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Of couuuurse it waaaaas!

So you honestly think that the US participated in a trade agreement and did not aggressively pursue its own interests?

I mean, that's the only reason any nation negotiates trade agreements, and this is the US we're talking about here.

P.S. You realise that the LEFT protested the TPP yeah? And so did the left in Australia and New Zealand. Guess why.

Sometimes I wonder if Trump is a brilliant left wing plant. He's somehow gotten you chumps on board with anti-globalism, trade protectionism and anti-interventionism. All it took was some childish misdirection with pussy grabbing and boom, centuries of right wing thinking out the window.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-01-24 at 06:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I love how people suddenly embrace TPP and TTIP who were humongous clusterfucks benefiting non but a few solely because Trump is against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Now the good. I am actually shocked Trump went through with it. Gotta pat him on the back for it. Well done. I don't even like the guy.
    Fake policy.

He didn't do anything. The US was never in the TPP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Some of us actually read the TPP instead of letting third party sources tell us what to think.
    Wait, so you read the highly secreted, heavily redacted document which the media could only get glimpses of via whistle-blower leaks? WHO ARE YOU?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kataroku View Post
    Wait, so you read the highly secreted, heavily redacted document which the media could only get glimpses of via whistle-blower leaks? WHO ARE YOU?!
    Get a clue. The text has be public for years. http://dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/...documents.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Looks like his first day is already productive. Trump has signed an executive order withdrawing the US from TPP. Couldnt have a better start to his new job!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/23/politi...y-sources-say/
    good - TPP was shit for any countries besides US - really happy moron shot himself in the knee so fast.

Fantastic, glad to see this trash gone along with other shit trade deals.
    The damage it would have done to consumer rights, copyright laws worsening and corporate greed undermining state power would have been irreparable.
    Let alone the damage it would have done to environment and privacy rights.

Atleast Trump is doing something right, almost celebration worthy.

Now let's keep it this way, though we all know it won't. Globalists and greedy corporations will just come up with more fancy names for them and keep trying.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2017-01-24 at 07:42 AM.

I'm really confused why people are for the TPP now. I mean, call me ignorant, but hasn't everybody been against this for a long time now? I remember last year back during the Democratic debates, Sanders and Clinton practically had a dick waving contest over who was more against the TPP.

The fuck happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Do all you pro-TPP commenters even understand some of the TPP provisions? Corporations would be allowed to sue ANY NATION on the TPP for "any reason they feel impedes on their profits". In other words, one could literally come out and say "we want slaves for higher profit and if you say no, we sue you". Don't believe me? Malaysia was in on the deal, which has slaves. At the very least, you could say goodbye to any form of regulation, even outside of the US, if TPP was a done deal.

"Lower prices" AT WHAT COST?

Now the good. I am actually shocked Trump went through with it. Gotta pat him on the back for it. Well done. I don't even like the guy.
    Worse parts I see in TPP are the extra constrictions with intellectual property that would prevent creativity and innovation. It's almost like SOPA in many ways, for that I actually appreciate the rejection of the deal.

But with people complaining about offshore jobs and loss of manufacturing in the U.S., I simply shake my head. Manufacturing jobs are not coming back. Period. Output is growing to meet the higher demand, but jobs are still being cut. Tech advances will only make it worse, and yes I am going to point at automation. As time goes on, we are doing more and making more while requiring less. Factories don't need as many workers when we still had classic assembly lines.

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I'm really confused why people are for the TPP now. I mean, call me ignorant, but hasn't everybody been against this for a long time now? I remember last year back during the Democratic debates, Sanders and Clinton practically had a dick waving contest over who was more against the TPP.

The fuck happened?
    Yes, it's the worst thing for a true liberal, there's been huge protests against it all over the west, people across the entire political spectrum is against it as it purely serves corporate greed.
    But since trump is against it, well hating trump is more important than those principles i guess. It's suddenly a good thing now, it's like magic.

10+ Year Old Account

The fuck happened?
    It's essentially just because Trump was the one who decided to cancel it.

TPP was never a good thing, it's just that publicly approving of something your political opponent did seems to be a big no no. It's all populism at play. Hopefully TTIP is next on the chopping block.

The fuck happened?
    The TPP is a mess, no matter how you look at it. Only international and globally expanded companies can see benefit from the TPPs lifting restrictions. Some posters here are giving Trump the usual treatment that everything he will do from this point on is wrong/stupid.

I only hope people won't suddenly think that Trump's signature will suddenly mean more middle-class jobs. TPP hasn't even been implemented yet and never received the necessary votes from Congress to pass in the first place, Trump simply ceased it's possibility. Without U.S. involvement, the deal is now meaningless. Ultimately, nothing really changes in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It's essentially just because Trump was the one who decided to cancel it.

TPP was never a good thing, it's just that publicly approving of something your political opponent did seems to be a big no no. It's all populism at play. Hopefully TTIP is next on the chopping block.
    Well, I get that if you're actually involved in politics or the media, but why are randoms on mmo-champ acting that way?

Like, I'm fucking sure that if I go back and read the Democratic debate threads from last year, specifically the ones where Sanders and Clinton did the dick waving, none of the democrats that are vehemently against the TPP now will have harshly criticized Sanders and Clinton then. I just don't get what these people have to gain by flip flopping positions like that. And it's not like these are trolls either. We're talking about forum regulars with over 10k posts.

It's literally some 1984 "We have always been at war with Eurasia" shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The TPP was slated to create jobs, reduce the cost of goods, and help strengthen American influence in the Pacific, but yeah, why would anyone want that?
    Yea, it wasn't going to do any of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You anti-globalization guys don't get it, the way to fight globalization is to embrace it. If people in China and Vietnam are making good wages American companies won't move their factories there. It costs a lot of money to ship from China to the US, so if companies are having to pay high wages in China, the math could work out to move the factory back to the US.

TPP was going to raise wages world wide and jobs would move back to the US.
    You mean raise the cost of goods world wide and not give us anything in return.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    The TPP is a mess, no matter how you look at it. Only international and globally expanded companies can see benefit from the TPPs lifting restrictions. Some posters here are giving Trump the usual treatment that everything he will do from this point on is wrong/stupid.

I only hope people won't suddenly think that Trump's signature will suddenly mean more middle-class jobs. TPP hasn't even been implemented yet and never received the necessary votes from Congress to pass in the first place, Trump simply ceased it's possibility. Without U.S. involvement, the deal is now meaningless. Ultimately, nothing really changes in the long run.
    I'm not an economist and none of this means a fucking thing to me. I'm a centrist, so I don't have a horse in the political race anyway. I'm more of just people watching, and what I see boggles my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I just did my best to find all the democratic debate threads from 2016. The TPP got mentioned maybe 5 times by people on this forum. And no one was lambasting Sanders and Clinton for their shared view on it. The intellectual dishonesty from people on this forum is fucking pathetic.

I'm not an economist and none of this means a fucking thing to me. I'm a centrist, so I don't have a horse in the political race anyway. I'm more of just people watching, and what I see boggles my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I just did my best to find all the democratic debate threads from 2016. The TPP got mentioned maybe 5 times by people on this forum. And no one was lambasting Sanders and Clinton for their shared view on it. The intellectual dishonesty from people on this forum is fucking pathetic.
    There should be some TPP threads aswell if you want more examples.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately, few know the details of TPP. Some hear it and think "job loss" without even knowing what the acronym stands for. I really doubt that those here in the forums "praising" TPP even know much about it. I won't claim to have read all of it (it's a good 30 chapters long). But skim through a handfull and realize how much freedom companies are given to screw consumers and workers for all countries involved and you'll see why it's hard to legitimately praise that mess.

TPP was going to die, with Trump or Clinton or Sanders. No one liked it. Congress never got the votes for it and has remained in limbo for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Ultimately, few know the details of TPP. Some hear it and think "job loss" without even knowing what the acronym stands for. I really doubt that those here in the forums "praising" TPP even know much about it. I won't claim to have read all of it (it's a good 30 chapters long). But skim through a handfull and realize how much freedom companies are given to screw consumers and workers for all countries involved and you'll see why it's hard to legitimately praise that mess.

TPP was going to die, with Trump or Clinton or Sanders. No one liked it. Congress never got the votes for it and has remained in limbo for a while.
    TPP is a lot like NAFTA, sure some people complain about NAFTA but NAFTA is very old, has employed lots and made people a lot of money. NAFTA has a lot of clauses where business can appeal decisions they think are unfair, but you rarely hear of anyone doing this.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Good job debunking his claim.

A+ for effort, here's your snowflake.
    That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    - Christopher Hitchens

15+ Year Old Account
    Republicans spend Obama's entire presidency slating him for use of executive orders.

New Republican president signs two on his second day and everything is a-okay.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED