Thread: RIP Elite Sets

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Is this really something worth whining about?

I don't really think it's a catastrophe as op seems to consider it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Is this really something worth whining about?
    Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    But it's got to the point where fakecasting is the biggest play you can do.

The game has lot all depth since those days.
    You still haven't answered my question. You claim PvE has no reward, but PvP's reward is in the form of cosmetic items. Why is it that you think it's okay for one to have a reward and the other not?

There isn't a reward.

Look at games like Diablo 3, it's just an endless grind with no end-goal.
    You're just showing your bias towards PvP and are overlooking how this is bad design for the game as a whole to have unequal opportunities for gear.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I also am not convinced about the need to place old elite gear behind a current arena ranking. Just make it cost a significant number of marks of honor and be done with it. Removing a skill barrier and replacing it with an effort barrier is fine for old stuff.
    Yes.

I'd add Feats of Strength / added some shiny effect to the title if you are wearing it "legit" (= obtained when it was actual) or did something similar, but the rewards themselves - make them available. Including easier than they were available before - that's completely normal.

It is additional content at little cost.

Funny that.

I did World PvP for about 4 years alongside rated.

I can see other reasons, it's just that they're two completely separate forms of gameplay. World PvP doesn't have a ladder and rating.
    No you can't.
    You made it clear that by your own statement.

Without prestigious rewards there's pretty much no point in playing something that's supposed to be competitive.
    And why did you do world PvP - there were no "prestigious" rewards which by the way is a completely arbitrary creation.
    You did that because it was fun, but now you demand something offers you something you deem "worthwhile" - as I said attitudes have changed, and not for the better.
    Some people play something for the competition, to improve themselves, to challenge themselves or simply because they enjoy it.
    What is or isn't "prestigious" enough isn't something you can simply say is or isn't the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post
    You still haven't answered my question. You claim PvE has no reward, but PvP's reward is in the form of cosmetic items. Why is it that you think it's okay for one to have a reward and the other not?

You're just showing your bias towards PvP and are overlooking how this is bad design for the game as a whole to have unequal opportunities for gear.
    I don't think it's okay, as I said earlier in the thread.

I think cosmetic PvE rewards should be exclusive, too. Titles should be linked to curve achievements and mounts should be removed from the game after the tier ends. I've always thought that.

You seem to like the idea of this, so why don't you like it for PvP? Is it the case of "We can't have it, so neither can you"?

Wanting exclusivity in your area of gameplay but saying we shouldn't doesn't really make sense.

While we're on the subject, what about all those cool looking Gladiator PVP mounts?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    No you can't.
    You made it clear that by your own statement.

And why did you do world PvP - there were no "prestigious" rewards which by the way is a completely arbitrary creation.
    You did that because it was fun, but now you demand something offers you something you deem "worthwhile" - as I said attitudes have changed, and not for the better.
    I did rated because of the rewards, I didn't particularly enjoy it.

I did world PvP because I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorteh View Post
    While we're on the subject, what about all those cool looking Gladiator PVP mounts?
    Same thing, they should be made available after some time in a different way to everyone. Same for every mount - all the way to black scarab.

You want to show off? Do this via dates on achievements. Dedicating in-game pieces for that is a waste.

Deleted
    If they do this, they might aswell do the same with CM gear from MoP like if you got the set on another chat but want another class set you can just buy it instead jeez blizzard

ITT: bad players anticipating playing dressup like their favorite youtube montages from years past. lmao

There's a reason they said no to this for years when the game wasn't floundering as hard. Now they're just desperate for anything to stem the loss of subs.

I might care less if Blizzard would actively, permanently ban people who are selling arena rating... sorry I mean "coaching". The ladder is ruined by unemployed euros taking advantage of every new wave of players that take interest in arena and don't want to bother grinding their way through it as was intended.
    Last edited by shrunken; 2017-01-24 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltan View Post
    If they do this, they might aswell do the same with CM gear from MoP like if you got the set on another chat but want another class set you can just buy it instead jeez blizzard
    Lol, the order hall sets are pretty close to the MoP CM sets and I thought that was a terrible idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    ITT: bad players anticipating playing dressup like their favorite youtube montages from years past. lmao
    All the hansol fanboys with their s11 elite kek

Remember how they gave GM/HW sets that were INCREDIBLY rare to 1800 RBG players? It's going to be like that.
    Yeah I also remember it not being a big deal. It got a lot of people to do RBGS myself included.

I suspect this will do the same for arena. It's just transmog after all no need to be so uptight.

I'm probably gonna buy another token and start pvping when this goes live.
    Hi Sephurik

I don't think it's okay, as I said earlier in the thread.

I think cosmetic PvE rewards should be exclusive, too. Titles should be linked to curve achievements and mounts should be removed from the game after the tier ends. I've always thought that.

You seem to like the idea of this, so why don't you like it for PvP? Is it the case of "We can't have it, so neither can you"?

Wanting exclusivity in your area of gameplay but saying we shouldn't doesn't really make sense.
    It does because it goes against Blizzard's goal of allowing players to play either or without consequence. If you're a PvP player that wants to do PvE content, everything is there for you to obtain. However, a PvE player moving to PvP doesn't have access to the same rewards.

That kills incentive for PvE players to PvP and is really bad for the future of the game. I don't want exclusivity in PvE, I was merely pointing out your bias in PvP and why such a mindset is actually dangerous for PvP as it kill activity.

If you limit the rewards in PvP, you're limiting yourself to players that want those current rewards. At least if you make older elite sets require a certain rating, you'll get more people in the rated PvP scene because they want that gear.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It does because it goes against Blizzard's goal of allowing players to play either or without consequence. If you're a PvP player that wants to do PvE content, everything is there for you to obtain. However, a PvE player moving to PvP doesn't have access to the same rewards.

That kills incentive for PvE players to PvP and is really bad for the future of the game. I don't want exclusivity in PvE, I was merely pointing out your bias in PvP and why such a mindset is actually dangerous for PvP as it kill activity.

If you limit the rewards in PvP, you're limiting yourself to players that want those current rewards. At least if you make older elite sets require a certain rating, you'll get more people in the rated PvP scene because they want that gear.
    Getting 2k this expansion is nothing, in WoD too.

You won't see more people in "the rated scene", you'll see people either:

a) buy a one-off boost
    b) play once to 2k then never play again because they just unlocked 20 elite sets and don't need any more

Considering they used to be for 2.2 and not 2k, it already devalues them.

Like I said with the example earlier, if you played an underdog spec in a specific season and worked hard to get your set, it's not fair that because your spec is OP 10 seasons later some mongo can get it.

2.2 in previous expansions was much harder to get than it is now, that's the main problem. IF they made the rating for them around 2.6, I'd be fine with it.

Getting 2k this expansion is nothing, in WoD too.

You won't see more people in "the rated scene", you'll see people either:

a) buy a one-off boost
    b) play once to 2k then never play again because they just unlocked 20 elite sets and don't need any more

Considering they used to be for 2.2 and not 2k, it already devalues them.

Like I said with the example earlier, if you played an underdog spec in a specific season and worked hard to get your set, it's not fair that because your spec is OP 10 seasons later some mongo can get it.

2.2 in previous expansions was much harder to get than it is now, that's the main problem. IF they made the rating for them around 2.6, I'd be fine with it.
    That's all subjective though, there are people in this thread saying different. You may think it was harder but that's merely anecdotal and not a sufficient argument as to why the gear shouldn't come back.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's all subjective though, there are people in this thread saying different. You may think it was harder but that's merely anecdotal and not a sufficient argument as to why the gear shouldn't come back.
    For a start, the rating being 200 lower for elite gear than a lot of the sets were already devalues it.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    There's a reason they said no to this for years when the game wasn't floundering as hard. Now they're just desperate for anything to stem the loss of subs.

I might care less if Blizzard would actively, permanently ban people who are selling arena rating... sorry I mean "coaching". The ladder is ruined by unemployed euros taking advantage of every new wave of players that take interest in arena and don't want to bother grinding their way through it as was intended.
    For the record, I agree with both things you are saying here.

I just think they don't disqualify the change, the change itself is good (and those who have the sets legit could also be pleased pretty easily by some small additions).

This is literally the most ridiculous case of snowflake syndrome I've ever heard.

Elite PVP players can get Elite PVP sets, oh no! Such casuals don't deserve to wear the gear they earned by reaching the top level of rating! How dare those casuals have top rating!

The last thing I'll say on this is that I like there to be things in the game that I can no longer get. I've never had problems getting elite sets on the classes I played. I also never had problems getting 2200 weapons. All of my characters that I actively played from s9 through the end of MOP have their elite gear, so long as it was worth keeping (s14/s15 rogue? no thanks).

That said, I never played a DK back then but I've taken the class up this expansion as a fun alt to screw around on. I absolutely love the WoD S1 & S2 DK elite sets. Both of them. I wish I could have gotten them then, but I wasn't playing the game too much. I love seeing someone randomly run by wearing one of those transmog sets and occasionally shoot them a whisper and usually get something friendly in return. I've never wanted to cheapen that whole experience; an experience that constitutes half of what MMO's were meant to be about in the first place.

If this change goes through, sure my DK can get a couple armor sets that it didn't have and that I surely could have gotten if I'd been active... but so what? Now I'm back to only chatting with my 3's team, not bothering to notice when every single rating-purchasing douche runs by me looking more fly than they have a right to, and the game just becomes that much more insular to me.

Everything in WoW is becoming cheap, like the game is devolving back to a state where Naxx25 is the standard for everything. People are taking advantage of the game's decline to become incredibly entitled and leverage the desperation of the dev team against them, but in doing so you're only ushering in a complete loss to the spirit of the MMO. If people really want that feeling of fun and excitement from Vanilla back, this sure as hell isn't a step in that direction.

If they go forward with this, at the very least the rating gate should be 2700. If you reach that point on a class, you would have been able to get your 2200 gear on any other class in any other season's meta.
    Last edited by shrunken; 2017-01-24 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.