Thread: RIP Elite Sets

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    For a start, the rating being 200 lower for elite gear than a lot of the sets were already devalues it.
    We only have a blue post hinting at it for now, I'd be surprised if they didn't make it the same rating needed.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    Everything in WoW is becoming cheap, like the game is devolving back to a state where Naxx25 is the standard for everything. People are taking advantage of the game's decline to become incredibly entitled and leverage the desperation of the dev team against them, but in doing so you're only ushering in a complete loss to the spirit of the MMO. If people really want that feeling of fun and excitement from Vanilla back, this sure as hell isn't a step in that direction.
    But that era of WotLK where you're claiming everything got cheap is when the game was at the peak of its popularity. Blizzard realized that being inclusive made the game much more popular. I don't think that's a bad thing. You can still take pride in the fact that you did something when it was relevant. Why does it matter that other people get to experience the same content but at a much later date?
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2017-01-24 at 02:23 PM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    This is literally the most ridiculous case of snowflake syndrome I've ever heard.

Elite PVP players can get Elite PVP sets, oh no! Such casuals don't deserve to wear the gear they earned by reaching the top level of rating! How dare those casuals have top rating!
    So what's the point in the elite gear when it's no longer elite?

The snowflakes are the casuals crying about how exclusive rewards are locked away from them.

IF they made the rating for them around 2.6, I'd be fine with it.
    Lol. "I play comfortably to 2.6 so lets just make it that"

That still makes it available to tons of people who didn't have it and people will still buy carries but as long as its around your rating its fine.
    Hi Sephurik

Lol, the order hall sets are pretty close to the MoP CM sets and I thought that was a terrible idea.
    The Elite PVP sets are virtually, and sometimes completely IDENTICAL to the honor sets!

So what's the point in the elite gear when it's no longer elite?

The snowflakes are the casuals crying about how exclusive rewards are locked away from them.
    How is it no longer elite? Because you say so?? Are they giving it away for honor points now?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The last thing I'll say on this is that I like there to be things in the game that I can no longer get. I've never had problems getting elite sets on the classes I played. I also never had problems getting 2200 weapons. All of my characters that I actively played from s9 through the end of MOP have their elite gear, so long as it was worth keeping (s14/s15 rogue? no thanks).

That said, I never played a DK back then but I've taken the class up this expansion as a fun alt to screw around on. I absolutely love the WoD S1 & S2 DK elite sets. Both of them. I wish I could have gotten them then, but I wasn't playing the game too much. I love seeing someone randomly run by wearing one of those transmog sets and occasionally shoot them a whisper and usually get something friendly in return. I've never wanted to cheapen that whole experience; an experience that constitutes half of what MMO's were meant to be about in the first place.

If this change goes through, sure my DK can get a couple armor sets that it didn't have and that I surely could have gotten if I'd been active... but so what? Now I'm back to only chatting with my 3's team, not bothering to notice when every single rating-purchasing douche runs by me looking more fly than they have a right to, and the game just becomes that much more insular to me.

Everything in WoW is becoming cheap, like the game is devolving back to a state where Naxx25 is the standard for everything. People are taking advantage of the game's decline to become incredibly entitled and leverage the desperation of the dev team against them, but in doing so you're only ushering in a complete loss to the spirit of the MMO. If people really want that feeling of fun and excitement from Vanilla back, this sure as hell isn't a step in that direction.
    It's all part of their "homogenization" that's been taking place for a while.

Everyone can have everything, everyone can do everything, there's nothing that sets people apart.

Deleted
    but I know many other people who will quit because of this change.
    Off you toddle then.

Because that's all this post is about, isn't it really?

You got something once, and now because other people are allowed to get it, you're going to spit your dummy out.

Well, sseeya.

Getting 2k this expansion is nothing, in WoD too.

You won't see more people in "the rated scene", you'll see people either:

a) buy a one-off boost
    b) play once to 2k then never play again because they just unlocked 20 elite sets and don't need any more

Considering they used to be for 2.2 and not 2k, it already devalues them.

Like I said with the example earlier, if you played an underdog spec in a specific season and worked hard to get your set, it's not fair that because your spec is OP 10 seasons later some mongo can get it.

2.2 in previous expansions was much harder to get than it is now, that's the main problem. IF they made the rating for them around 2.6, I'd be fine with it.
    There's no pressure to buy a boost if the reward isn't going away. Sure, some people will do it, as they always have, but just take a look at PvE. What were the most popular boosts? CMs, Curves when they came with a mount, Garrosh heirlooms... things people knew would be removed.

Your other argument is irrelevant, because:

- You don't know how this will be implemented and what the limitations are, it could be token-based, like the vicious mounts.
    - Even if it's marks, that's still A LOT of marks to buy all the sets and all the weapons for one char.
    - You're not going to unlock future sets, at some point you will be tempted to do it again as they roll out newer models.
    - It's still going to be character specific, you might want to do it on alts.

I like my Justicar title. I think it is a cool title. But I like it for me. I know it takes no skill to acquire, just a lot of time. I am under no illusion that others find it impressive, and no one thinks I am cool because I have it.

But the thing is, this applies to everything. If you are proud of your 2.6k, or your very rare armor pieces, great, wear them with pride because you like it, but don't be silly and think that anyone else cares what about your efforts in a video game.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Lol. "I play comfortably to 2.6 so lets just make it that"

That still makes it available to tons of people who didn't have it and people will still buy carries but as long as its around your rating its fine.
    That's where you're wrong, I'm not a 2.6 player.

I'd love to have certain elite sets, but I don't want the value of them to be gone. I respect the prestige and worth they have, I don't want them to be devalued to the point of being worthless. I didn't get them at the time, I don't deserve them. The same way I don't want all the sets I got to be devalued.

At least if they ARE going to do it, at least keep it in the hands of decent players and not one-time 2.2 heroes.

It's all part of their "homogenization" that's been taking place for a while.

Everyone can have everything, everyone can do everything, there's nothing that sets people apart.
    Why do you think people need to be set apart? I think the game is better at that than it ever was now. We have four different raid difficulties, multiple dungeon difficulties, and different forms of rated and unrated PvP. You have exclusive titles, achievements, and mounts for the higher end of these things, what more do you need? How could people be further set apart?
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

At some point you just have to accept the action of actually getting them when it was earned though challenge outweighs simply possessing the item. You know you can buy shit like peoples Superbowl rings and gold Olympic medals right? But someone that buys them and holds them still doesn't understand what it was like to win them and earn them. That is the real prize. Not some trinket. Live life a little bit. I mean I don't see Tom Brady starting a march on Washington just because Dan Sasko from Indiana won the lottery and bought some down and out NFL stars Superbowl ring. You want to know why? He understands that he actually won the Superbowl and doesn't give a shit about much else besides that.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post
    But that era of WotLK where you're claiming everything got cheap is when the game was at the peak of its popularity. Blizzard realized that being inclusive made the game much more popular. I don't think that's a bad thing. You can still take pride in the fact that you did something when it was relevant. Why does it matter that other people get to experience the same content but at a much later date?
    Wrath was almost stillborn because of how bad the first season and how easy the first raid tier were. Ulduar jumpstarted that expansion, and you'd do well to remember it. People were quitting in droves after a month of naxx25 and DK's ruling the ladder. Maybe you just weren't playing and don't really know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Deleted
    [...] Now I'm back to only chatting with my 3's team, not bothering to notice when every single rating-purchasing douche runs by me looking more fly than they have a right to [...].
    Really? The "right to"? But everyone has the "right to" get 'Kingslayer' or 'The Light of Dawn' titles from Wrath...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post
    Why do you think people need to be set apart? I think the game is better at that than it ever was now. We have four different raid difficulties, multiple dungeon difficulties, and different forms of rated and unrated PvP. You have exclusive titles, achievements, and mounts for the higher end of these things, what more do you need? How could people be further set apart?
    Because that's what provides incentive to actually progress in different aspects of the game. You want to be better than everyone else.

Wrath was almost stillborn because of how bad the first season and how easy the first raid tier were. Ulduar jumpstarted that expansion, and you'd do well to remember it. People were quitting in droves after a month of naxx25 and DK's ruling the ladder. Maybe you just weren't playing and don't really know.

This graph was posted on MMO-C a few years ago, but as you can see, WoTLK was steady, but nobody left in droves. That little hump by the end is when ICC came out.

Because that's what provides incentive to actually progress in different aspects of the game. You want to be better than everyone else.
    No, YOU want to be better than everyone else. Which is fine, that's one way too play this game and some people do play it that way. But that form of play doesn't get to dictate the game for everyone else.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirah View Post
    Really? The "right to"? But everyone has the "right to" get 'Kingslayer' or 'The Light of Dawn' titles from Wrath...
    Nice assumption, a lot of people (me included) feel that PvE cosmetic rewards such as titles and mounts should have been made unobtainable after the relevant tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirah View Post
    Well, you're assuming my opinion. And you're wrong. I also think raid titles should disappear with the end of the tier.

I love seeing a Death's Demise run by, and it also sourly reminds me that my guild finished second in the race for the title, which in turn lets me reminisce on good times from the past. Then I remember that I have Grand Crusader.

You think I notice when the 45th Light of Dawn rides by me? No, and at that point why even bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

That's where you're wrong, I'm not a 2.6 player.

I'd love to have certain elite sets, but I don't want the value of them to be gone. I respect the prestige and worth they have, I don't want them to be devalued to the point of being worthless. I didn't get them at the time, I don't deserve them.

At least if they ARE going to do it, at least keep it in the hands of decent players and not one-time 2.2 heroes.
    They are already worthless. They have always been worthless. It's literally just a reskin of some other easily obtained gear.

Also point: You still need RATING to buy them, the same rating to buy the new sets. Anyone wearing an old elite set this way EARNED IT, and it has just as much "prestige" as you in your new "super pro" special snowflake gear.

People are arguing about it being the same for PvE gear, but mythic gear is simply a means to progression, not a cosmetic reward. The argument is normally summed up as "If I can't have exclusive gear, then you can't either!" - I do think cosmetic PvE rewards (titles, mounts, etc) should be made unobtainable after the relevant tier, so there is no double standard here. Elite gear is not comparable to tier gear, it is a cosmetic reward.
    An addon back you might have had a point but now hardly given that ilvls are easily obtainable everywhere. Personally both definitely shouldn't be available anymore but we obviously can't have that for the worthless pack that has gathered here again.

Deleted
    And being better than everyone else is not satisfying enough? You need special rewards outside of achievements/your rating?