Not doing my "expected" dps

No logs cause i forgot to log them :/

But basically, I have prydaz/koralon, 39.6k intel, 50 crit 17 haste 13 mast 6 vers at 889 ilvl.

I did 409k on H Krosus, which is very low compared to my sim'ed dps of "519k". And when i compare to other mages without bracer/ring/belt/head (to make things even) as well as fight time of roughly 5mins, they were doing 500k-ish.

I took CiS instead of Meteor just to try it out, other talents were conflag, flame on, unstable magic. I doubt taking Meteor would make up for the 100k dps difference.

I rarely got Orb of destruction which means i didn't have to run off much.

My opener is the usual Fireball, Combustion, MI+Horn of Valor, fblast/pyro bla bla bla. As per all the guides i've read, i use CiS on cooldown. Out of the opener, it's pyro fishing, then when Combustion is 20secs til next use, i start saving some FBlast again.

That's pretty much all i do, i also use flask, Crit food and prepot polonged power. How am i supposed to play to make up for that 100k difference?

edit: Forgot to add I was using Horn of Valor + Whispers of the Dark trinks.

I think can't really tell what are you doing wrong , any chance you have logs for that fight ?

Krosus isn't exactly a pure patchwerk, you have to blink from ray, go on pools and kill adds, run away with orb etc... and i learned one thing from mage, if you stop casting for whatever reason your dps suffers A LOT, more than any other caster...
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2017-01-24 at 04:47 PM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    But basically, I have prydaz/koralon, 39.6k intel, 50 crit 17 haste 13 mast 6 vers at 889 ilvl.
    889 ilvl and you just have 39.6k int and 50% crit ?
    are you sure ?

my numbers are : 884 ilvl 41236 intell / 58% crit / 15 haste / 11.5 mastery / vers 1.7

you should have bigger ratios on secondary stats.
    i have 1500 intell more than you while 5 ilvl lower.

If you had another legendary with intell instead of prydaz, maybe this could be better.
    Especially since you have quite a lot of mastery and versatility, which is not the best for a ST fight with these talents.

increase Intell crit and haste, and see how all this goes on a target dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by faguoren View Post
    889 ilvl and you just have 39.6k int and 50% crit ?
    are you sure ?

my numbers are : 884 ilvl 41236 intell / 58% crit / 15 haste / 11.5 mastery / vers 1.7

you should have bigger ratios on secondary stats.
    i have 1500 intell more than you while 5 ilvl lower.

If you had another legendary with intell instead of prydaz, maybe this could be better.
    Especially since you have quite a lot of mastery and versatility, which is not the best for a ST fight with these talents.

increase Intell crit and haste, and see how all this goes on a target dummy.
    Hmm.. what are your trinkets? My trinks don't give crit, one adds Int and the other Vers.

Deleted
    Hmm.. what are your trinkets? My trinks don't give crit, one adds Int and the other Vers.
    http://www.wowprogress.com/character/eu/garona/Faguoren

this is the common stuff i use for questing and MM+ / AOE.
    940 darckli + belo'vir might be part of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by faguoren View Post
    http://www.wowprogress.com/character/eu/garona/Faguoren

this is the common stuff i use for questing and MM+ / AOE.
    940 darckli + belo'vir might be part of the answer.
    ah ok, it's the robes and helm. my 885 sunfrost is 1.2k int lower, same with my 870 helm. My 940 koralon has about 1k more int than yours but then again, my neck has no intellect.

I have belovir/sephuz/prydaz/koralon, but so far my current gear is what "sims" the highest. Might have to double check but i doubt it makes up for the 100k dps difference.

Deleted
    ah ok, it's the robes and helm. my 885 sunfrost is 1.2k int lower, same with my 870 helm. My 940 koralon has about 1k more int than yours but then again, my neck has no intellect.

I have belovir/sephuz/prydaz/koralon, but so far my current gear is what "sims" the highest. Might have to double check but i doubt it makes up for the 100k dps difference.
    belovir + koralon could be an increase in dps.
    simulations are fine, but if you fail, or if raid mechanics plays tricks on you, it is always higher DPS to have intell.
    Of course if you have already a 895 robe and no good item for your neck slot, then there is not much choice.

a few days ago, new weights on stats popped on Icyvein. Fire mage ST si around 1.05 crit / 1 intelle / haste closely behind, mastery and then versatility (but at 0.8 for vers, doesn't make it SO bad).
    Mastery value grows fast with multiple targets.

Deleted
    Same boat. Exactly as you describe it. I sim much higher than what I can actually pull off (100k+ on simcraft, 75k+ on amr), and get outdpsed by mages 10 ilvls below me. It's not cinderstorm/meteor, or stat weights. Believe me, I've tried both, as well as combinations with MI/RoP. Then again. And then some more.
    I have 99.X uptime, skill damage percentages and # of skill uses match sims almost perfectly, but the damage isn't there. It's obviously worse when the bracers are involved. I'm not new to this, so far I've always been able to play a class to 95%+ since the invention of logs. I have no explanation for this.

I'm also only at 38,5k at 884, with a lowly 52% crit, but still, the sims say what they say. Either they're extremely inaccurate, or something is fishy here.
    Last edited by mmoc48cc6e9b6a; 2017-01-27 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le rarest Pepe View Post
    Same boat. Exactly as you describe it. I sim much higher than what I can actually pull off (100k+ on simcraft, 75k+ on amr), and get outdpsed by mages 10 ilvls below me. It's not cinderstorm/meteor, or stat weights. Believe me, I've tried both, as well as combinations with MI/RoP. Then again. And then some more.
    I have 99.X uptime, skill damage percentages and # of skill uses match sims almost perfectly, but the damage isn't there. It's obviously worse when the bracers are involved. I'm not new to this, so far I've always been able to play a class to 95%+ since the invention of logs. I have no explanation for this.

I'm also only at 38,5k at 884, with a lowly 52% crit, but still, the sims say what they say. Either they're extremely inaccurate, or something is fishy here.
    exactly, i dont know what rotation the sims use, but i just barely did 450k on krosus the other day. my sims are telling me i do 558k, lolwut?

i compared logs with other mages doing 500-600k dps at my ilvl, i'm not doing anything vastly different from them, same no. of mirror image use, meteor, prolonged pots, lust, rotation is the same but their pyros are averaging 50k higher than mine, some 100k. our intell, crit, haste, mast is not that different, maybe 1k off for intell and crit but how does that account for the difference in dps.

previously i was playing mage wrong, wrong rotations/cd usage, some guys here helped me out, my dps improved alot but now it's just not going anywhere. Even when i get lucky on krosus and have zero orbs on me, close to no movement except for lasers, 450k. what.... Tichondrius i'm pulling 470k but i see mages doing 600k and above, is it aoe padding, is it just me having bad hot streak procs, i dont know.

i'm just confused at this point.

i'm just confused at this point.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread.
    Same here, I already lost hope to find someone who can check logs and help to me, so I thinking about reroll.
    1. why my fireball cast count lower than other mages even if my activity is 99%>.
    2. why my ignite dmg is lower than other mages ?
    All my pyro bracers extra dmg is even out because of lower fireball and ignite dmg.

logs https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PGhAjapBrWYzFVf8
    My mage nick Emrin

Deleted
    No logs cause i forgot to log them :/

I did 409k on H Krosus, which is very low compared to my sim'ed dps of "519k". And when i compare to other mages without bracer/ring/belt/head (to make things even) as well as fight time of roughly 5mins, they were doing 500k-ish.

I took CiS instead of Meteor just to try it out, other talents were conflag, flame on, unstable magic. I doubt taking Meteor would make up for the 100k dps difference.

I rarely got Orb of destruction which means i didn't have to run off much.

My opener is the usual Fireball, Combustion, MI+Horn of Valor, fblast/pyro bla bla bla. As per all the guides i've read, i use CiS on cooldown. Out of the opener, it's pyro fishing, then when Combustion is 20secs til next use, i start saving some FBlast again.

That's pretty much all i do, i also use flask, Crit food and prepot polonged power. How am i supposed to play to make up for that 100k difference?

edit: Forgot to add I was using Horn of Valor + Whispers of the Dark trinks.
    It's probably less about the rotation and more about how many spells you're missing trying to obey the boss mechanics. Sometimes when I watch players when they move from specific abilities they literally just run in a straight line, no effort to keep casting abilities and absolutely no effort to have any instant cast spells lined up for movement. Like on my Ele I'm ALWAYS thinking about how I can squeeze in extra damage by having instant cast spells ready to go for movement and how long I can hold them before I lose DPS. I'd record your gameplay and watch it back, think about how you can deal with your movement better. It's rarely a rotation issue as rotations are the easy part, it's most definitely going to be issues with your movement and active DPS time.

If you're in a fight with absolutely no movement and you're still 100k lower than other mages it's most likely going to be damage lost during your opener and bloodlust phase, you're going to be messing up the rotation somewhere along the line. Again, record your gameplay and watch it back, even minor mistakes add up over a 5-7 minute fight, also check out some streams/youtube videos of players raiding with your spec.
    Last edited by mmocf6edb8744c; 2017-01-27 at 10:11 AM.

One thing that might explain a bit of damage difference: did you put 35 points in your artifact yet for the 5% dmg increase?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krachaboras View Post
    Same here, I already lost hope to find someone who can check logs and help to me, so I thinking about reroll.
    1. why my fireball cast count lower than other mages even if my activity is 99%>.
    All my pyro bracers extra dmg is even out because of lower fireball and ignite dmg.

My mage nick Emrin
    Fireball/pyro count could be lower because you run cinderstorm, it takes up much more casting time than meteor, reducing the total time you can spend on fbs. If it's that, it's normal.
    Regarding the much lower pyro hits, I've noticed that myself. Both my pyros and my ignite (which are obviously linked) hit much lower than other mages', despite running 3 +pyroblast relics. Must be the low int.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmmppff View Post
    One thing that might explain a bit of damage difference: did you put 35 points in your artifact yet for the 5% dmg increase?
    I don't know about him, but I'm at 44 traits, it's not that.

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    It's probably less about the rotation and more about how many spells you're missing trying to obey the boss mechanics. Sometimes when I watch players when they move from specific abilities they literally just run in a straight line, no effort to keep casting abilities and absolutely no effort to have any instant cast spells lined up for movement. Like on my Ele I'm ALWAYS thinking about how I can squeeze in extra damage by having instant cast spells ready to go for movement and how long I can hold them before I lose DPS. I'd record your gameplay and watch it back, think about how you can deal with your movement better. It's rarely a rotation issue as rotations are the easy part, it's most definitely going to be issues with your movement and active DPS time.

If you're in a fight with absolutely no movement and you're still 100k lower than other mages it's most likely going to be damage lost during your opener and bloodlust phase, you're going to be messing up the rotation somewhere along the line. Again, record your gameplay and watch it back, even minor mistakes add up over a 5-7 minute fight, also check out some streams/youtube videos of players raiding with your spec.
    Could be, i might pug a Normal run just to see what's up.

I'm stupidly ashamed of my dps right now, 4 piece + 44 traits + apparently "bis" trinket and the belt for execute phase, that godly 450k LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Krachaboras View Post

My mage nick Emrin
    Outside of other mage doing double your damage throughout the night the biggest discrepancy is the 5000 crit separating you and them.

Quote Originally Posted by yarafx1 View Post
    Outside of other mage doing double your damage
    Its because I joined raid at 12th try.

Most people can't hit the numbers their sims show. You have to play extremely well to do so and get a bit of luck. (Assuming your simming patchwerk, dont' expect to hit your sim numbers in NH encounters) Aim to get within 50k dps of your sims numbers depending on the fight.

Deleted
    ppl forget that the sims show a patchwerk fight which doesnt exist in the game and most fights give you a much great dps down time than what you would get in your sims, if you're within 15ish% of your sims, you're where you should be.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    ppl forget that the sims show a patchwerk fight which doesnt exist in the game and most fights give you a much great dps down time than what you would get in your sims, if you're within 15ish% of your sims, you're where you should be.
    I frequently do more damage than I sim for on single target fights. Your sim DPS is basically an average of thousands of sims (I think 10k by default) and there should be times you do less and times that you do more, in a perfect setting. That said, there are not very many fights that are purely single target and I can only think of one that even resenbles patchwork (Chronomatic Anomaly if you cheese it). Learning how and when to move is huge to improving your DPS as a caster.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Ferrair: Stop using cinder storm on fights that don't have a lot of cleave/AoE. It's a shitload of effort for little or no return.
    Last edited by Fust; 2017-02-03 at 03:43 AM.
    "And lo, the spaghetti fell from his pockets like a horse off a mountain, in the image and likeness of His Almighty Noodliness."
    - Nessie 3:50