Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Only across, why not knock about the world a bit?

I lived in Spain for 3 years, Canada - OZ - NZ all for a year and now I'm back to native England (although leaving again soon).

Moved from Milwaukee, WI to Charleston, SC...and then back to Milwaukee because SC is an awful place to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    I moved from Maine to Florida. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I was in the Marines, I did lots of moving for that. As far as moving across the country on my own, I moved from Hawaii to Maryland. It was a great decision. I may move to Colorado in the next few years, or at least buy a vacation home out there.
    But why move from Hawaii? It seems like the best place to live unless of course I am missing something. Well, I just resent snow/winter :P

OT, yes I have moved from Eastern Norway to Mid Norway and then back again, about 8 hour drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lived in Wisconsin for like a year one time, otherwise the only other time I lived outside of Cincinnati was when I went to college, and that was just to another city in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    But why move from Hawaii? It seems like the best place to live unless of course I am missing something. Well, I just resent snow/winter :P

OT, yes I have moved from Eastern Norway to Mid Norway and then back again, about 8 hour drive.
    Hawaii is a great place to live. However, it's expensive as shit to buy a house, and you do start to miss the seasons a bit. I'll be honest, I would have no problem moving back there.

As someone who moved to the USA to NY and then to MA my best advice is read the local newspapers, see what kind stuff happens everyday around where you want to live.

Look how the weather is like, when I came to the East Coast 3 yrs ago Boston had the worst winter ever and I never expected to live something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's easy to fall in love with Portland. Cost of living has gotten very high over the last couple of years, though. It's not exactly a good value to live here, but it's beautiful and there are a ton of perks
    Oh are you in Portland? The way you wrote seems to imply personal experience living there :P

When you say cost of living, are you referring specifically to housing costs, or all costs of living?
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Oh are you in Portland? The way you wrote seems to imply personal experience living there :P

When you say cost of living, are you referring specifically to housing costs, or all costs of living?
    Yes I've been living here since 2010. I'm referring to both. I saw 100 sq ft "micro apartments" for 1200 a month. That was on the ridiculous end even for Portland, average (aka not super nice) two bedroom apartments are going for around $1400 currently close in. If you want to live in a trendy area I've seen studios/1 bedrooms for $2300/mo.

Saw an ad for a 800 sq ft 1bd/1ba condo for $410k a couple of weeks ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Temporarily moved from the middle of the Atlantic to Denmark.

Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Hawaii is a great place to live. However, it's expensive as shit to buy a house, and you do start to miss the seasons a bit. I'll be honest, I would have no problem moving back there.
    I see Hawaii would be my dream place to live
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    I moved from Australia to the US a few years ago.

Yes I've been living here since 2010. I'm referring to both. I saw 100 sq ft "micro apartments" for 1200 a month. That was on the ridiculous end even for Portland, average (aka not super nice) two bedroom apartments are going for around $1400 currently close in. If you want to live in a trendy area I've seen studios/1 bedrooms for $2300/mo.

Saw an ad for a 800 sq ft 1bd/1ba condo for $410k a couple of weeks ago.
    I know that was meant to dissuade me, but compared to what I see down in Newport/Laguna/Huntington Beach, those sound like deals. Except for the micro apartments. Those apparently are rip offs everywhere
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I know that was meant to dissuade me, but compared to what I see down in Newport/Laguna/Huntington Beach, those sound like deals. Except for the micro apartments. Those apparently are rip offs everywhere
    Probably why so many Californians are moving up...the problem is that incomes are not adjusting to the increased cost of living. So it's not quite the same thing you are used to in other expensive markets.

Probably why so many Californians are moving up...the problem is that incomes are not adjusting to the increased cost of living. So it's not quite the same thing you are used to in other expensive markets.
    Ah that's unfortunate. I've heard good things about Texas, but the weather and the people have always turned me off.

I can't go anywhere with snow. Never again.
    – C.S. Lewis

I've lived in KY most of my life (lived in MI for some time before that). I've decided I hate winter and eventually want to live somewhere with a super mild (or non-existent) winter someday.

Within the country, that seems to leave me with southern CA/southern TX/half of FL (excluding HI), correct?

Anyone with experience with those states want to comment on which you liked the most (and had the best winters)?

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I've lived in KY most of my life (lived in MI for some time before that). I've decided I hate winter and eventually want to live somewhere with a super mild (or non-existent) winter someday.

Within the country, that seems to leave me with southern CA/southern TX/half of FL (excluding HI), correct?

Anyone with experience with those states want to comment on which you liked the most (and had the best winters)?
    I'm in the same boat as you. Want to move to one of those locations, but not sure which I want. Having traveled all over the US the past 20 years, I've been to all the places I'd like to move to. But each time I think I'm ready to move, those areas have new problems. South Cal is my favorite, but being too expensive and all I hear about is water problems shortages, unlikely I'll make it there. Pan handle of FL is looking likely, with Tallahasse or Jacksonvile. Texas is a happy medium, I really like San Antonio, though I prefer the dryer West Texas area like Amarillo.

Always helps if you can visit places to get a taste of the pros and cons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was born in California.
    Why the hell would I leave this great state.

I was born in San Diego, moved to Miami, and now I live in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post

How do you feel about incredibly inflated housing prices and gridlocked traffic? What are your opinions on hurricanes and 60% of the year swamp ass? Do you take issue with possibly having to replace your vehicle because it doesn't meet the standards of your new home state? Any irrational fears of spiders/snakes/lizards? Do you think you can handle being known as "Florida Man?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.