Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Let me gush for a while about God Eater

So i'm a huge Monster Hunter fan. Love the series and have a few thousand hours in them easily. That said the latest game has not been drawing me in so i finally had a look at the growing "monhun clone" series there are. Like Dark Souls with games like Lords of the Fallen the moment it became popular a bunch of copies showed up. In this case however there has been some more out there imitations. For every 'just a pallet swap of the exact same idea' you get something like God Eater.

I had seen and heard of it mostly through the waifufans buying figures of the characters from conventions and knew it was a little more shin megami tensei/persona 1/2 in tone from what i had seen of the anime adaptation. I finally decided to buy into the series when i saw the psp games has been given HD rebuilds and released on the PS4/PC as "God Eater Resurrection" and "God Eater 2: Rage Burst". I had my doubts but in the last 3 days i've put almost 20 hours into this game and gotten into it as bad as i do with a new monhun game.

The long and short of why i like it is the story and the world. Set in a future version of the real world in 2070 entities called 'Aragami' have appeared that are monstrous creatures that can eat almost anything and take on properties of what they consume. Eats a lot of marble statues and architecture? You get a lion with an angelic cherub for a face like something from Bayonetta. Eats a lot of military hardware you get something like a cross between an elephant, a tank and the grim reaper.
    The zones are not rolling plains and mountains but the ruins of japan. A caved in tokyo metro now with rivers of lava and volcanic Aragami calling it home. In the middle of the largest river a rusted out military aircraft carrier sits as a derelict nest held up by the rusted out suspension bridge its collapsed into. Its like monster hunters far future -or its far past if you think about the expanded universe story hints. Its a post disaster/societal collapse world not unlike something from manga/anime like Blue Gender or King of Thorns and i found it a really refreshing change of pace from monhun for that alone when every other clone i have found is fantasy. Though you could argue Lost Planet 2 is a monhun-lite at times.

Weapon wise your God Eater uses one weapon called a God Arc and using parts from monsters you can make a melee part and a ranged part. You could make a scyth or greatsword that can transform at any time into a shotgun or sniper rifle. You can then find traits you insert into them to increase parts dropped from a hunt or more hp or less damage taken. As you would expect monster carves are where they come from. However you also get AP, ability points, to add perks to your characters like "increased oracle absorption" -with oracle points being a form of mana bar where melee hits steal oracle power from an aragami you use to shoot your infinite bullet loadouts.

It has a level of depth to it no other clone like Soul Sacrifice or Toukiden have and i really, really love these games so far and would recommend them to a monhun diehard or maybe a megaten fan whos been a bit put off by the fantasy tone of monster hunter. Its a shame looking around online it has almost no fanbase in the west but i guess a few years ago i wasnt seeing anyone talk about monster hunter either.

I grabbed this on PS4 for £20 and it came with two of these 100 hour hunting games and if you want a sci-fi monhun i definitely say check this one out!
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-01-26 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was that 20 on the PSN Store or at a retail location?
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Was that 20 on the PSN Store or at a retail location?
    Amazon. got it with a "thank you for supporting god eater" post it on it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Amazon. got it with a "thank you for supporting god eater" post it on it
    Looks like it's also 20$ on the PSN store. Going to pick it up myself and thank you for bringing this game to light.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    god giant swords like that look so dumb.

Looks like it must have sold enough since they seem to be teasing a 3rd game in the series, loved my time with the first two and hopefully its a little bigger in scale even if the graphics dont get a huge step up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hello, I hate monster hunter and its clones. However I will bump your thread so we may have more weeb games to drown in. Thank you.

So the composer for the series has left bamco but said 'don't worry i'm still doing the music for Code Vein and God Eater 3' which kind of soft confirms the rumours that bamco is going to reveal GE3 around november but also fans the flames of rumour that Code Vein is actually connected to GE in some fashion.

I tried it on PS4 and the intro IMO is slow as hell. I admit I may have not given it a fair shake so I may give it a ago again at some point.

Game did seem cool tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the first one released in the states on PSP, fucking loved it. When they released the two on Steam, I immediately bought them, but for some reason never got around to actually playing them...But yeah, they're amazing games.

Edit: I just binge watched all 13 episodes of the anime! OH MAN that was great!
    Last edited by endersblade; 2017-10-03 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Well the rumours of an announcement were legit, God Eater 3 is happening and given how it looks this one seems built for PS4 and PC. So probably no vita version.

New screenshots from Famitsu, hell of a step up from the ports of 1 and 2 for the Rage Burst rerelease. Also looks a little less 'anime' and more palette wise in the tone of Nier or .Hack//G.U. Wouldn't be surprised if Automata had an influence on the design team. Either way two HQ PS4/PC hunting games coming in 2018 means a good time for monhun fans. Even if in this case GE is the Digimon to monhuns Pokemon.

That looks fucken awesome..
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That looks fucken awesome..
    Well the others are all on sale on PSN in the halloween sale so a good time to get into the series in time for 3's next gen release. -and in some regions its cross buy on vita as well.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-10-20 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well the others are all on sale on PSN in the halloween sale so a good time to get into the series in time for 3's next gen release.
    Cool beans, Mite grab that GE1 rerelease u talked about and get a GE2 copy later from Gamestop.

I watched the anime, really interesting.

More stuffs starting to come out for GE3. Not quite the PS4 update Monster Hunter got with world but thats a damn sight better looking than the PSP/Vita games of last gen. Still looking more like its going away from monster hunter and more to devil may cry which is fine by me. A good clone iterates on its own style rather than just stays a clone and dies after one release like Freedom Wars or something.

Maybe not the best time to announce news for a monhun clone but at least this is a hunting game to play till Iceborn in the autumn and the first game after RE2/DMC5 for next year i'm interested in.

Its a bit funny to compare to OP of this thread to now. God Eater is still going strong but every other monhun clone? Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden and so on? all dead. Theres Dauntless and God Eater left and i kind of doubt Dauntless is going to be a success based on its extremely limited roster and gameplay compared to all the existing games in the hunting genre. Hopefully some more devs try their own thing or we get to see some of these IP's given another chance. Freedom Wars has a small but very dedicated following for example.4