Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If at a job interview, I will shake hands ofc. If someone offers me a handshake, I will shake his/her hand. Around friends I usually use fistbumps, and we kiss girls once on the cheek by way of greeting.
    I am from Belgium, and I tend to have sweaty palms.
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Shaking hands is part of normal business etiquette when discussing a deal or being interviewed for a job. If you were being interviewed for a job, @Tsugunai, you probably made the worst possible first impression with what would be perceived as very rude behavior. Despite how commonplace they may be, handshakes are an expression of mutual respect and trust. Do you come from a culture in which handshakes are uncommon or unusual? If so, I sympathize with you, but you should attempt to get used to them if you want to further your career.

Hands are washable. Most diseases spread by skin-to-skin contact must be manually transferred to mucous membranes on the face (eyes, mouth, nose, etc.) to cause infection. When you're leaving an interview or closing a business deal, smile, shake hands, and then proceed to the bathroom and wash with soap and water. Problem solved. Have a recent cut on your hand? Politely explain that your hand is injured, and that you do not wish to spread yourgerms to the other person in question.

As an aside, do you ever eat in restaurants? Most chefs -- and fast food employees -- don't wear gloves in the kitchen. They are required to wash their hands regularly, but they touch your food ... very frequently ... with their bare hands.
    In short, I simply believe while you can wash your hand what you do with said hand is never going to go away. You did just remind me that people working in restaurants favor bare hands so I oughta keep that in mind.

I prefer not, but I recognize the importance of it in the business world.

If I tend not to care what the person thinks/feels, I'll just say I'm getting over being sick and then they're all thankful.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If touching another person's hand causes you this much anxiety, then...

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I'll just say I'm getting over being sick and then they're all thankful.
    I'd go with this advice. Rehearse a believable excuse as to why you do not wish to shake hands, one which frames your refusal to shake hands as a favor to the other person. Just be aware that, if you have business dealings with the same person or people regularly, they'll catch on to this ruse quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    In short, I simply believe while you can wash your hand what you do with said hand is never going to go away.
    Dirt is dirt. It's everywhere. For the most part, it also washes off. You have an irrational fear of either "germs" or some vague concept of "impurity." I'm promise I'm not trying to be mean: you might want to seek help if this anxiety begins to negatively impact your daily life.
    Last edited by Kaeth; 2017-01-26 at 12:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's true, but if someone moves to shake your hand, it's polite in just about every culture to reciprocate. Even Japanese people shake hands if an American holds his hand out.
    I don't shake hands. Especially not with men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    But what's your take on shaking hands. Do you do it, think similarly like me, or what?
    No, it's common etiquette to shake an individuals hand upon a first meeting in an employment setting. My thoughts? You were rude and should probably learn normal work place etiquette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, in lieu of a hug. Freaks people out a little less.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol uh unless you're in some type of culture where it's not the norm I can kind of see your point but glaring, really? Of course it would be awkward. Even then if it's not in your culture just do it and wash your hand later. If this guy was about to give you a job you might have just blown your chances OP. First impressions are important.

Oh I didn't even bother to answer the question. Yes, all the time. With friends, family, coworkers, customers etc. Well around here we go more for hugs/kisses if we're really close.
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-01-26 at 04:46 AM.

yeah no issues here, and that was one helluva a bad impression, esp to an older person. If you dont like shaking someone's hand def. don't glare at them simply decline as a germaphobe thing or just carry some hand cleaner with you and suck it up and shake the hand.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Nigga, I read palms for a living.

Of course if their hands are dirty I can always impregnate them with my trusty bottle of Purell.

Long story short, I had to meet someone I don't know concerning employment and blah blah blah. Old man who greeted me with a decent smile, but then he offered to shake hands. I sort of gave him a glare and he took back his hand then we proceeded but it was awkward as fuck. I always assume the worst of people in general for an introduction but when it comes to having to touch someone else's hand, I always think first "how much has this person touched his own ass or crotch" and get enraged thinking that the person would lack so much dignity to try to touch me with that hand.

But what's your take on shaking hands. Do you do it, think similarly like me, or what?
    Is there anything that doesn't "get you enraged"?

Shaking hands is normal...but if you are going to refuse a handshake, just politely refuse saying something like "sorry, I don't shake hands". Person might still think that's kind of weird but will likely be able to move past it. Glaring at someone that's trying to greet you in a respectful manner just makes you look like an asshole.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

For those of you that don't shake hands, you're really not doing yourself a favor. People really go apeshit when you don't. There are even the types that will disregard you for a limp handshake. Oh, there's also people who hate it when you don't introduce yourself and get straight down to business...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    For those of you that don't shake hands, you're really not doing yourself a favor. People really go apeshit when you don't. There are even the types that will disregard you for a limp handshake. Oh, there's also people who hate it when you don't introduce yourself and get straight down to business...
    That's their loss.

Why does this guy still have an mmo champion account? All he does is make troll threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    germs are an issue, but it is rude not to shake someones hand if they have extended it. so u probably should..
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    That's their loss.
    You just made your account and already have over 300 posts, i dont think they'd be losing much.

wow what an asshole I would think and never do job again. Impossible, I can't imagine not doing it. After coming to Japan handshake was like one of the things I missed to do so much when doing business with people. Then again even they know the value of a handshake.

15+ Year Old Account
    so do u go around all day wearing rubber gloves? There are 50 other things u touch during the day that are worse than someone elses hands...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    so do u go around all day wearing rubber gloves? There are 50 other things u touch during the day that are worse than someone elses hands...
    Like our smart phones. Things are filthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like handshakes that much, seems like a silly pointless ritual to me... But your reasons, OP, are truly weird. If I were to think before every action I take, "What if X? What if Y? What if Z?", then I probably would never be able to get off the bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.