Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I was under the impression "shaking hands" is the most universal way of greeting across the world.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you didn't get employed after pulling that...

To answer your question: Of course i do; especially when it is about business. It inspires the feeling of agreement and trust.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you think of it that way think about it this way:

They too don't know where your hands might have been lately, so by offering a handshake they demonstrate some kind of trust as a courtesy for you to demonstrate it back. They are saying "I washed my hands, did you?".

Said that, handshakes should go.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Sure. I am pretty loose in terms of this sort of phobia - I eat stuff when it still smells okish weeks after expiration date, I let animals I don't know lick me and so on.

I have known a lot people who care for all that, avoiding every public toilet, not entering a bus without gloves and even bringing their own keyboard and mice for IT seminars. But were they more healthy? Well I feel like the phobia took more time and energy out of them than any potential bacteria could have :P

Deleted
    I assume you didn't get the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I really dislike people that don't shake hands and/or don't look you in the eye. Major red flag.

And on the same topic, anyone else also really hate those weak handshakes you sometimes get?
    Limp wristed handshakes are the worst. Any male that shakes limply is no man and I will never have respect for them. Look in the eye while you do it as well.

Shake with confidence and strength man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you fucking autistic or something?
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Utterly disrespectful to refuse a handshake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flepser View Post
    Touching money is okay though?
    The more money to touch, the better I bet.

Deleted
    Sure. when i am offered a hand i always shake. Except its a really ugly person but that never happens. I offer handshakes to people i like, surely not everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've absolutely no issue with shaking hands and I would, as many have said, look very negatively on someone who refused to in a business environment. Socially I would just shrug it off and file them under 'socially underdeveloped', a file area in my head that is getting used with increasing regularity these days.

As for eye contact, if someone doesn't during a serious conversation it makes me think they are shifty at best. One thing to have fun with though with people like that is to shift the focus of your gaze to the area of space just above their head or forehead and address your conversation there, not their face. Give it a couple of minutes and it will REALLY freak them out, convincing them there is something there. Great fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flepser View Post
    Touching money is okay though?
    never understood why people freak out so much about things like the OP and then happily handle cash. Cash is utterly filthy if it isn't really new, especially paper cash. I am beyond happy that we are introducing polymer notes here now as they look and feel so less grubby.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

i prefer not to.. i find it a silly practice.

Deleted
    I meet with a lot of people in my line of work (payslip administrator and HR-assistant). I often extend my hand to greet people but a lot of our employees (muslim ladies in particular) dont want to shake hands at all. They usually put their hands on their chest and nod as a greet instead or simply ignore it (then they get the glare of death).

The fear of someones hand being dirty is kinda unreasonable, if you are in a public transportation or even touch a vegetable at a supermarket: the odds are that someone else touched it first, or lots of people touched it. Just wash your hands and try not to die. #wordstoliveby

Deleted
    I wouldn't shake hands with someone if they offered me their left hand, I justfind it rude, but otherwise I'm not too bothered either way.

Deleted
    If you are not with me you are against me, so shake my hand.

As usual, I think you need to see a therapist. Shaking hands isn't some crazy terrible thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    You damn sure shoulda shaken that mans hand.

I'm almost curious to ask how old you're, can't imagine someone actually thinking like this.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Yes, all the time. You're a strange individual.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Seems like you are overthinking it.
    In a world of "your interviewer knows whether or not they will hire you within the first 5 seconds of meeting you", i don't think theres such a thing as over thinking human interaction.

Gosh I totally felt embarrassed because of your glaring at the person who merely wished to shake hands with you. What are you, germophobe?
    I certainly hope I don't run into you someday because it would be so cringey not getting a shake and instead a blank stare.

So now shaking hands is taboo for some people? It's a common greeting for people that don't know each other, especially when it comes to jobs and businesses... the only person making it "awkward" was you OP.

Needless to say, you were bloody rude... seriously, why the fuck glare at someone offering a handshake? That's just BEYOND pathetic to say the least. If you were the one looking for a job, that's an instant strike from being hired and they'd be better off without an ill-mannered individual.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-01-26 at 12:06 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course you should greet someone you don't know, or in business, with a handshake.
    What else are you gonna do? Tilt your head? Wave your hand?

Stop being so afraid of contact with other people.
    "Oh my gawd, germs! Gee, maybe I should stop touching the handle of every door there exist."