Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Here is all I get out of that link. The US is doing terrible overall, at least at the K-12 level. That alone should be a rally cry to get more something across the board. But, let's fight over who is the best\worst of the mediocres
    It's not fighting over the mediocres, it's 'liberals don't like muh Trump, lets insult liberals!', just search the word 'liberal' in this thread alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    It's not fighting over the mediocres, it's 'liberals don't like muh Trump, lets insult liberals!', just search the word 'liberal' in this thread alone.
    Well, yes, there is that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You are a real product of the California school system.
    Such a great argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I've said it in other posts, I'll say it again : California is horrible. I hate living here. The job opportunities suck. The state is ugly. The culture (food, music, entertainment in general) is horrible, non-existent even. If you have plans to come here, please, do yourself a favor and change them. Stay away. Its horrible here.
    Please leave then.

Take everything this guy said and for me it is the opposite.

I was born here and love this state.
    Where else can you go from the best beaches to skiing in a four hour drive?
    Some of the best wine in the world to a beautiful National park in four hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Of course I'm being serious. Coming from California to college in Nebraska I was way more prepared for college than almost everyone I met.

At least the highschool I went to seemed better than almost any high school in Nebraska. I met kids from just about every major high school in the state at the premier university, and I didn't go to some high end California high school.
    Oh, since you wrote High School as one word I thought you where making a joke. (Not picking on your grammar!)

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Oh, since you wrote High School as one word I thought you where making a joke. (Not picking on your grammar!)
    I'm on a phone so it doesn't always say what I mean.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said it in other posts, I'll say it again : California is horrible. I hate living here. The job opportunities suck. The state is ugly. The culture (food, music, entertainment in general) is horrible, non-existent even. If you have plans to come here, please, do yourself a favor and change them. Stay away. Its horrible here.
    CA has some epic Mexican food, you absolutely must admit that.

I know you must be trolling when you say Entertainment is horrible. CA has been on my top 5 vacation spots list for like 20 years. CA is fun as hell son. You must be a hermit or something.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2017-01-26 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

I know you must be trolling when you say Entertainment is horrible. CA has been on my top 5 vacation spots list for like 20 years. CA is fun as hell son. You must be a hermit or something.
    Yeah, because someone has that opinion can't possibly be right when it contradicts with yours! They're so wrong they've got to be a troll. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Keep in mind that many of these kinds of stats are based on simple grade metrics. Not all states have the testing bar set at the same level, so it's not all that representative of how educated the students are, just how well they do on the test. If it's not the exact same test, or at least contain the exact same testing material, it's a meaningless comparison.

California has some of the more difficult standards to meet compared to many other states.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Californians and those that defend it often forget that a lot of their population lives in poor conditions with lower education. Its one of those states (like Massachusetts) where many of the lesser off areas are ignored in favor of the better funded areas. But the highly liberal population of western California just sort of write them off as not mattering. Same happens in Massachusetts where Western Mass is ignored in favor of Eastern Mass. Occasionally you'll have movements in MA to split the state in two since Western Mass is tired of Boston and the surrounding areas' shit.
    Western MA way as well be another state. We'd only stand to gain.

OT: Feels good to be number one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Please leave then.

Take everything this guy said and for me it is the opposite.

I was born here and love this state.
    Where else can you go from the best beaches to skiing in a four hour drive?
    Some of the best wine in the world to a beautiful National park in four hours?
    See bottom comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

I can see how the post could come across as trolling. That was not my intention; really there are much more effective ways of trolling if that was my desire. My intention was to be over the top in mocking the idea that California is NOT one of the best places on the entire fucking planet.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-01-26 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    You linked something that only deals with a tiny amount of high schools. Sure, if we're talking about all the states with gold medal high schools you'd have a point. The topic is general education. Look at the OP's link. It's all education and effectiveness of the schools in educating people. You're the one being dishonest and cherry picking.

http://www.edweek.org/media/2016/12/...ounts-2017.pdf

He's not even talking about overall grades of students, but the overall effectiveness of the schools in each state. There's obviously issues that need to be addressed, and deflecting these issues, like you just did, only causes more issues.

EDIT:

Chance for success.

School finance.
    K-12 Achievement.
    Cherry picking is a powerful drug, case in point ^

Usual retort of "nu-uh you're cherrypicking!!!!!11!! here's more links from the exact same cherry-picked site"

Also, since it clearly flew right over your head, I picked a very "cherry-picked" source intentionally. It was meant to show how easy it is to pick information to fit a narrative. It wasn't an actual defense of the state.

No matter how obviously sarcastic/ironic I make something, someone will always take it seriously.

(P.S. Since I'm not an idiot, I actually went through the OP's site before making a retort, I saw all of those links already, but nice try!)
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-01-26 at 07:02 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

See bottom comment.

I can see how the post could come across as trolling. That was not my attention; really there are much more effective ways of trolling if that was my desire. My intention was to be over the top in mocking the idea that California is NOT one of the best places on the entire fucking planet.
    I knew you were being sarcastic. How could anybody who live in SF complain about food. That is the biggest thing I miss about living in SF. Access to cheap and delicious foods at all time of the day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I knew you were being sarcastic. How could anybody who live in SF complain about food. That is the biggest thing I miss about living in SF. Access to cheap and delicious foods at all time of the day.
    Bolded for "truth"!

The number of highly educated people in the state has little to do with their school system overall. Thus, my comment.
    The title says "California ranked 42nd nationally in education", OP claims this to be a valid statement solely based on average highschool grades. That is cherry picking, hence my comment.

Because when discussing education, as most educated people are aware, you're discussing the system that provides education and not the level of education present in the population.
    I was under the impression that the educated people are the product of the said education system. Apparently they grow out of the ground. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    I was under the impression that the educated people are the product of the said education system. Apparently they grow out of the ground. My bad.
    Not everyone who lives in California is from California. Just because someone lives in California and has a degree or went to college there doesn't mean they went through K-12 there.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2017-01-26 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
    Not everyone who lives in California is from California. Just because someone lives in California and has a degree or went to college there doesn't mean they went through K-12 there.
    We can take that into consideration amongst many other factors ( for all states), but to say that highschool grades are the sole measure of evaluating the education system is outright crazy.
    Im not saying education system there is perfect, im simply stating that the OP is cherry picking to make the results fit their narrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we need to come up with better plans before we throw money at it. More money does not equal better spending, it usually ends up being wasted, it never goes to the people who needs it. Most of the money in my wife's school district goes to bullshit administration jobs, then they try to cut teachers pay saying they make too much.
    Coming up with plans involves research and investment into developing ways to help students do better.

Though I feel that California is going to have to take this initiative on its own if Trump's chosen butt-kisser gets appointed to secretary of education.

I can't tell if you're serious or joking.
    Not all schools are equal, unfortunately.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Education rankings should mostly be ignored. The methods for ranking are flawed in the first place, but even if you take them at face value, they most just tell you what the demographic characteristics of the local population are. There's some pretty close to zero exceptions to that rule.