Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Resto] Priority Feedback

So I'm having an argument with one of my guildies about Resto Druids and Lifebloom/tank healing Vs raid healing, and I'd love you guys to give me your opinions.

We have someone sitting at ~50% or lower Lifebloom uptime, spiking down to about ~20% minimum and rarely up to ~75% maximum uptime (Krosus). He is apparently telling my officer that his HoTS drop off the tanks because hes prioritising healing the raid rather than the tanks, and it's more important for him to use GCDs to raid heal, than to waste them on refreshing tank HoTS.

Should he always be keeping LB/Rejuv on the active tank? I was under the impression that Resto Druids should aim for 100% uptime on Lifebloom. If nothing else should he not always be keeping Rejuv/LB rolling on the active tank to allow the other healers (MW and Holy Priest) more leeway to raid heal? I know low LB uptime obviously means hes getting less OoC procs to boot, and I can also see he tends to prio Rejuv on the tank when LB is missing which means his mastery isn't being put to great use.

To quote what I was told he said most recently (it's been an ongoing argument).

The tanks aren't always taking much damage while the raid is so in the process of not letting the raid die, hots drop off the tank.
    It takes 4 gcds to get all the hots rolling again so unless there is, or is about to be, a pressing need for that then there's not much point wasting a bunch of globals if they're just going into overheals anyway.
    As I'm one of said tanks I know we certainly take enough damage for his HoTS to smooth it out, especially the Monk. I also feel that him keeping HoTS on the tank/s would make tank healing easier for the healers as a group, and that he should have more than enough GCD spare to refresh them.

Would love some feedback guys.

In most cases you can spare the GCDs for tank healing even if you are raid healing. LB uptime should be pretty high because of the OoC proccs. A free Regrwoth saves you a Rejuvenation in most cases and might be even better than one because of the direct healing. And if the raiddamage binds so many GCDs he is bound to oom. So he should definately put at least an LB up. Perhaps it's an issue with the talents. For example if you are raidhealing with abundance you invest a whole lot of GCDs. Perhaps you could tell us his specc or show us some logs.

Talents:
    Prosperity
    Displacer Beast
    Balance Affinity
    Mighty Bash
    Soul of the Forest
    Germination
    Flourish

Legendaries:
    Tearstone of Elune (ring)
    Edraith, Bonds of Aglaya (wrist)
    Last edited by Kaiarra; 2017-01-27 at 10:02 PM.

For raid healing i feel
    - Cenarion Ward over prosperity is way better. drop it on current tank on cooldown and its alot of healing
    - Cultivation over Soul of the forest is just better for someone that say hes raid healing. you will be carpet rej to deal with aoe damage. with 4piece you will spawn more rej and Cultivation will proc has people fall under 60%. The more rej you have out when you Wild growth the more Dream walker artifact talent will proc.
    - Inner peace way better then germination for raid healing with tranq. 2 min cooldown help alot. we have 2 resto druid in our comp so its a tranq every minute. line up prety well with most boss heavy aoe.

germination is nice in 5 man but since druid are bad at sniping double rej on people will just be a waste of mana.

His current talent and play style seem to contradict . he seem to prioritise raid healing but he has bad talent to help him do it.
    Last edited by Grimlok; 2017-01-26 at 06:12 PM.

Sotf + Prosp is most effectiv for raids, that are on farm. Although other speccs work then just as fine. Additionally soft works bad together with his leg wrists. Because sotf and the wrists rival for the use of swiftmend.

His wrist cry out for cenarion ward. They are perfect for tank healing, because you can extend cw quite nicely, but you also have to invest not so many GCD in tankhealing.

Germination works on smaller raids. 16 players is perhaps too much. Inner peace/Spring blossom may be better on certain fights. They bind way less gcds and are much cheaper (as long efflorence isn't relocated to often). But looking at the logs inner peace might not work out because he uses tranquility rarely.

Pushing the same output he achieved in the logs with the new talent choice should be easy.
    Last edited by Grenor; 2017-01-26 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenor View Post
    Forgot 1 question : raid size?
    ~15 currently

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenor View Post
    Spring blossom may be better on certain fights. They bind way less gcds and are much cheaper (as long efflorence isn't relocated to often).
    Just wanted to add that Spring Blossoms helps ramp up mastery on anyone it heals for just 1 GCD. Its very strong in larger raid sizes.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Agree with what other are saying. I run heroic/mythics progression and my big talents tend to be ward, cult, peace, flourish.
    I always am able to keep an LB on tanks, with the procs it's stupid not to. Free mana free heals what's not the like.

Huge fan of ward and flourish together... I consider it my soft Raid cd when tranq is either down or not needed.

I just make sure some rejuvs are out, pop ward on a tank (you HAVE to wait till damage procs the ward), throw a wild growth, hit flourish, and then Ghnar. Then sit back and watch the raid health jump up.

I see what he means if tanks aren't taking dmg but in the long run he hurts himself with missing procs and making the other healers work harder.

Basically what other people said, he needs to be keeping LB up as close to 100% as possible on the tanks. I would say anywhere above 90% uptime is idea. As far as spec goes, he should be in guardian affin for progresssion, he could go balance for farm. he should run germ for raids as it wastes mana to apply two rejuvs, he should run cenarian(sp?) ward and cultivation for progression raiding as people are more prone to drop below 60% and it adds a nice mastery stack and a good heal

He's wrong either way. If he's not using LB on tanks, he should be using it on the DPS. It's a stronger spell than Rejuvenation. There's no excuse.

I also agree with what others said about the talent choices. Prosperity and Soul of the Forest just aren't very good, and Germination isn't very useful in a 15 man raid except for a few boss fights where you have designated soakers. Cenarion Ward + Cultivation + Spring Blossoms (or Inner Peace, depending on the fight) is the way to go. Balance Affinity is also a bit questionable; Guardian is the only one that really does much in raids. The talents he's using aren't terrible, but they're all somewhat underpowered this expansion.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Deleted
    If he is running Germination and trying to make most out of it, then I can see why he is running out of gcd's. Wrong move still.

Deleted
    Your guildie should really learn how to play. That's rdruid 101; LB should always be kept on a tank alongside with a rejuvenation. Monitoring 2 18-20sec hots isn't that hard and if he's having that much of an issue doing so, he should make a WA tha notifies him with a distinct sound when LB is off. He should also keep in mind that you can trigger its bloom effect during the last 4.5sec from its expiration (that's something that you also need a WA to monitor). As to "missing a GCD" by applying a 20 sec hot that heals, triggers mastery and gives a free regrowth every now and then ...lol.

Basically you need to max LB time to get max OOC procs. Druids normally have harder time with mana compared to other heal classes so it could be important.

Overall high lb uptime has been long considered a staple of a "good" resto druid. However if you are OK with mana it's more important to prioritize your gcd and proactive hots.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help and suggestions guys; will pass on your feedback.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are certainly times where you might not have any HoT's on the tank (the majority of the time you will though), but trying to justify such a low Lifebloom uptime should be a major red flag. It's essentially a supercharged Rejuv when a powerful last tick. Why would you not use it instead of a Rejuv if nobody else has Lifebloom on them...? Also, Germination is a crappy raid healing talent (it's mostly for when only a handful of players are taking large amounts of sustained damage), so if he's arguing that he's focusing on raid healing, that should raise another eyebrow.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, he probably can't spare GCD's for the tanks because he is running Germination and trying to blanket the raid with 2 Rejuv's. This is a really bad playstyle.
    Last edited by EmpathG; 2017-01-29 at 06:16 AM.

50% uptime on LB is abysmal, regardless of who's it's on. I say this as someone who is working on making sure I get a higher uptime on this.

There are quite a few weak aura strings on the net that will track LB for him/her.

I do not think it matters much. LB+its proc do not heal that much if you are allocated to heal the raid to justify focusing on it as major problem. Does he heal good? Do you kill the boss?
    About the boss: Krosus has high tank healing and high raid healing requirements. Is tank healing covered by others? We had tank deaths on Krusus and I had to step in to complement our paladin on the tanks. But even then I didn't have 100% LB uptime (90%+). While i was raid healing i had lower LB uptime.
    About talents: Prosperity+SotF+Tearstone is a great combo for raid healing, its throughput is high if raid healing is periodic (like Krosus i believe). There is a slight problem with it though. If you have the bracer legendary (which he has) then its potential is wasted without Cenarion Ward. It is a price to pay and I am uncertain if it is a good call. But then again if tanks are covered then why not.
    I suggest you don't go into such details as LB uptime, rather address the problem (tank dropping or raid dying slowly) you face. Druid can do either on Krosus. If you assign him to tank healing he will have exceptional LB uptime I am sure of it

Quote Originally Posted by ManyHeadedDruid View Post
    About talents: Prosperity+SotF+Tearstone is a great combo for raid healing...
    Tearstone doesn't really have any synergy with the rest. It gives you 1.2 rejuvenations (on average) per Wild Growth cast, regardless of how strong the WGs are. The only talent that Tearstone has any synergy with is Cultivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Tearstone doesn't really have any synergy with the rest. It gives you 1.2 rejuvenations (on average) per Wild Growth cast, regardless of how strong the WGs are. The only talent that Tearstone has any synergy with is Cultivation.
    Well, you tend to cast more WG if you have those talents but maybe I should not have put it there to avoid confusion as it is not too important indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ManyHeadedDruid View Post
    Well, you tend to cast more WG if you have those talents but maybe I should not have put it there to avoid confusion as it is not too important indeed.
    You should be mashing WG on cooldown any time there are multiple people who need healing. It's better HPS and HPM than Rejuvenation.