Angry Trudeau, Indigenous leaders give government failing grade

Is it so difficult to help Native Canadians?

I guess it's easier to help all those refugees than your own people?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/t...ises-1.3951900

It's been one year since the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal's historic finding that the federal government discriminates against First Nation children on reserves.
    But despite lofty pronouncements by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, *an internal report card from the Privy Council Office has*given the Trudeau government a failing grade for delivering*on its promises to Indigenous Canadians.
    "If Justin Trudeau was one of my students I think he would be at the bottom of the class," says Hayden King, assistant professor at the School of Public Policy at Carleton University.
    "I think this government is particularly exceptional for showing up to class but just failing to do any of the work."*
    King tells The Current's guest host Connie Walker the list of commitments that have been made and not undertaken is extremely long, but says in terms of action, some communities have received education resources.*
    "You have to give credit to Justin Trudeau for showing up and meeting with the First Nation leadership as often as he does. The bar was pretty low set by the previous prime minister," King says but continues with his list of broken promises that are languishing, such as the TRC calls to action, the declaration*on the rights of Indigenous people, the so-called decolonization process.**

One year after the Canadian Human Rights tribunal decision, Cindy Blackstock says the federal government continues to ignore important areas of need for Indigenous children in Canada. Cindy Blackstock (Canadian Press)
    Carolyn Bennett, Canada's minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, tells Walker those meetings are genuine and that "the partnership is real."
    "We are seriously trying to decolonize — that means more and more communities trying to get out from under the Indian Act with our help."
    Bennett says money has never flown out of government faster to be able to see "tremendous change" in communities.
    "We want to see eventually community planning and the kinds of transfers that allow communities to make their own decisions."
    For Cindy Blackstock, executive director of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society of Canada, "it's not only a matter of promises that haven't been met by the government."
    "This was a legally-binding ruling where the Canadian government was found to be racially discriminating against 163,000 First Nations children and they were ordered to immediately stop," Blackstock tells Walker. "They didn't do it."
    The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal has issued two noncompliance orders against the Canadian government.
    Blackstock says*that complying with the orders means an immediate investment of a minimum of $155 million for child welfare, "to give these kids a fighting chance to grow up in the families."
    "A second piece is they have to fully implement something called 'Jordan's*principle'*which is to ensure that all First Nations children can access government services on the same terms as other kids."**

Wapekeka, in northern Ontario, is home to about 400 residents. (YouTube)
    Blackstock explains the current definition says, "Only children with short- term critical illnesses and disabilities can access equitable services if you're First Nations, not other kids."*
    Bennett tells Walker "Jordan's principle" no longer includes the eligibility requirement that a First Nations child on reserve must have multiple disabilities that need various service providers.*
    "That means since*July 1st, 1,500 more kids are getting the kind of care they need."
    The Wapekeka First Nation asked Health Canada for suicide-prevention funds to urgently help a group of suicidal children but their plea was ignored. Two 12-year-old girls died by suicide within days of each other in early January.
    "The children die tragically … needlessly and then a private donor has to come up with the money to get the kids some mental health treatment because Canada is moving too slowly," says Blackstock.
    "That's completely unacceptable."
    Bennett tells Walker that addressing this issue is a two-pronged approach, dealing with mental health supports in communities and dealing with the "scourge of intergenerational trauma of residential schools, the issue of child abuse."
    "We know the link between child abuse and suicide is almost direct … and that's what's so inspiring about the young people, they are talking to me about child abuse, they know that this has to stop.
    "They want safe places and they want their families healed because because this legacy of residential schools is killing people."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

"They want safe places and they want their families healed because because this legacy of residential schools is killing people."
    No it's not.

But whatever.

Something needs to be done!!
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

"This was a legally-binding ruling where the Canadian government was found to be racially discriminating against 163,000 First Nations children and they were ordered to immediately stop," Blackstock tells Walker. "They didn't do it."

Why didn't Canada stop discriminating?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Why didn't Canada stop discriminating?
    To be fair the biggest problem are them still living on reserves now. Its pretty much places where no growth can happen. Even the police forces we send to them are second rate at this point. They have higher rates of pretty much anything bad you can think of in there, health issues, obesity, alchool, drugs, violence against women, list goes on. Its the Canadian version of ghettos, except its far away from any of our cities. So theres really not much thats gona be done. They are stuck there to not pay taxes, but have no money to even get out. Also their own leadership have money that is sent, but its not always divided how it should. But since its their rules, we gotta let them get fucked over by their own rules as well.

Short of destroying them(the reserves) and abolishing any "advantages" (aka paying no taxes but living in a hell hole). There is nothing to do. Anything else is just useless wishful thinking.

Also im not sure how residential school has much to do about it now. Schools arent federal affair as far as i know. Its at the provincial level. Residential school is how we all work, schools get to services areas around them. Im guessing they mean on reserve access to these school is harder, i mean yeah, even if you arent native if you live in the middle of the woods, if the trip to the school is a 3 hour bus drive, your choice of residential school is limited?

As for the grade. There was never a single Federal administration they would give anything but a failing grade lol. The last administration wasent even willing to open a public investigation about the very high rate of native women missing/murder. So i guess the federal government went from F to F+.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-01-27 at 04:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No it's not.

But whatever.
    Yea, I'm pretty sympathetic to the natives on most things - but the residential schools legacy claim is a weak foot to stand on. Only 150,000 natives ever attended the schools, and the last one shut down more than 130 years ago now. It's true that at least 6000 native children died while in attendance, and that's horrible - and speaks to the brutality and cruelty of the place - no one is saying otherwise.

But, it affected a fraction of the total native population at the time, and not all communities sent their kids.

There are literally centuries of discriminatory effects against natives - but pinning so much on residential schools I think undermines the impact of all the other shit they endure.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Yea, I'm pretty sympathetic to the natives on most things - but the residential schools legacy claim is a weak foot to stand on. Only 150,000 natives ever attended the schools, and the last one shut down more than 130 years ago now. It's true that at least 6000 native children died while in attendance, and that's horrible - and speaks to the brutality and cruelty of the place - no one is saying otherwise.

But, it affected a fraction of the total native population at the time, and not all communities sent their kids.

There are literally centuries of discriminatory effects against natives - but pinning so much on residential schools I think undermines the impact of all the other shit they endure.
    Wow really they still talk about the catholic schools... I thought it had to do with harder access to schools in reserves. Talk about living in the past. I mean those school were horrible, but you really cant bring this up still. My father went to catholic school, not a native one of course, before they all closed down here, they beat him with straps and shit. But thats still in the past.

Wow! How embarrassing for them! The whole world is probably laughing. Let's hope they turn things around quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not going to lie, came in here expecting a Tennistroll thread.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

True story. My old man use to own a hunting cabin a few KMs from a reservation where we use to go hunt and fish. As soon as they saw us arrive a few of them would come knock on the door offering to sell us fish, or deer they'd killed or just guide service, but they rarely wanted to be paid in cash, they wanted to be paid in cases of beer. Good guides though, they know their territory well.

@Tennisace

What will god-king Trudeau do to rectify this situation?
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

The solution to the problem is simple. Integration. Having the aboriginals separated on reserves only hurts them. We should be ceasing government funding and allowing them to be brought into the regular government hierarchy like a city or municipality would be. None of this sales tax exemption or free university.

My great Uncle is native and has not taken a cent from these programs nor lived on a reserve. I have never heard him complain and him and my great aunt seem to be enjoying retirement.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2017-01-27 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The solution to the problem is simple. Integration. Having the aboriginals separated on reserves only hurts them. We should be ceasing government funding and allowing them to be brought into the regular government hierarchy like a city or municipality would be. None of this sales tax exemption or free university.

My great Uncle is native and has not taken a cent from these programs nor lived on a reserve. I have never heard him complain and him and my great aunt seem to be enjoying retirement.
    We've embraced the reservation system here and a reservation or tribe has as much autonomy as a state which is a lot in the US. Some tribes have used this autonomy to create jobs and thriving communities. Yes, not all but some.

-- Capt. Copeland