Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Ethical Issues Surrounding the Womens March

Haven't seen a thread about this, and I think it's important to bring some attention to it.

First off, Donna Hylton. An invited speaker at the Womens March, a public figure, and a frequent guest on television panels relating to women and justice.

Here she is talking about her appearance:

Who is she? Well, she's a kidnapper, a torturer, and a murderer. In 1985, she participated in the brutal torture of a gay real-estate broker. The torture ultimately resulted in his death. The gang attempted to obtain a ransom of over $400k for his release, even after he had already died. Donna took part in this because she wanted money with which to begin a modeling career.

Spurling himself interviewed Donna: "I couldn't believe this girl who was so intelligent and nice-looking could be so unemotional about what she was telling me she and her friends had done. They'd squeezed the victim's testicles with a pair of pliers, beat him, burned him.
    She was sentenced to 25 years in prison, but since release there has been no end to the gushing the press has done over her and her fight for "justice" for female prisoners, and giving her a platform to talk about oppression. They're even going to make a nice romantic movie about her time in jail.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/rosario-...ie-1201852430/

Second, Linda Sarsour - co-organiser of the march. Linda is a Muslim American that just thinks women here are oh so oppressed. In fact, our Western society sucks so bad that she actually thinks Sharia would be a great step up! She's also a Saudi apologist, and hates it when people criticise Islamic societies.

In 2014, the film "Honor Diaries" was released, attempting to expose violence against women in Islamic societies and the cultural idea of "honor" that fuels the abuse. One of its most prominent critics was Linda Sarsour.

When Honor Diaries was released in March 2014, Ms. Sarsour worked to discredit the film. She disseminated the hashtag #DisHonorDiaries and made disparaging comments about the film.
    Linda Sarsour told Al Jazeera that even though some of the film’s featured activists may be “well-intentioned,” the documentary equates violence against women with Islam. “We don’t need Islamophobes to talk to us and tell the stories of oppressed and abused Muslim women," she said.
    http://www.honordiaries.com/blog/lin...ce-women-like/

Weird that a "women's rights activist" would actively attempt to silence a female film-maker trying to shed light on gender violence.

Then again, when she has views like these on Sharia Law what can you expect?

Unhinged.

Of course, feminist and left-leaning press outlets are currently in full defence mode (just go ahead and google "Linda Sarsour"). Gushing over what a great activist she is, and how anyone exposing her hypocrisy is an alt-right-Nazi-Islamophobic-Trump-supporter.

So to sum up: On one hand, women were marching because Trump is a crude man that has said some unflattering things about women, and one of the big issues this election was that a decade(?) ago he was caught on a hot mic saying he grabs women by the pussy, and "oh he might take our rights (but we can't tell you which ones)". OTOH, feminists are parading around behind an actual murderer and a woman who advocates for Sharia and defends real misogynistic cultures.

Can someone explain to me the mindset here?
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2017-01-27 at 08:38 AM.

Who gives a shit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Who gives a shit?
    You clearly do, given you clicked the thread just to write that.

You're bitching about "nazis" in another thread; nazis aren't socially acceptable so who gives a shit? Meanwhile murderers and Sharia activists get a pass as long as they hold the right flag.

Go cry into your cheerios and rethink your priorities.

There were millions of women who participated in these protests, obviously there are going to be plenty of them with sketchy backgrounds. That doesn't undermine the validity of the protest or the message they were trying to spread.

A movement, a cause has no leader. She doesn't speak for anyone but herself. Please recognize this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Women all around the world marched for various reasons, an estimated 4.8 million worldwide, and you're hung up on two people -- How about you just come right out and admit that all those women making it clear how they feel about our asshole President is what triggered you?

What because she served time and was released legally through the system she cannot have an opinion? A thought America was all about free speach.

Wowie zowie! If I didn't know any better, I'd think this forum was a right-wing echo chamber for sure!

Every time I come back, I'm reminded of why I left. Thanks for this little treat, though. It's not every day I get to see people defend and deflect for someone who remorselessly helped torture a man to death.

Oh, wait. What am I saying? Yes it is!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    Wowie zowie! If I didn't know any better, I'd think this forum was a right-wing echo chamber for sure!

Every time I come back, I'm reminded of why I left. Thanks for this little treat, though. It's not every day I get to see people defend and deflect for someone who remorselessly helped torture a man to death.

It certainly is fun watching people literally defend murderers, torturers and hypocrites, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    It certainly is fun watching people literally defend murderers, torturers and hypocrites, isn't it?
    No ones defending it. We're just tired of "this 1 person did x therefore all liberals are evil!"

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post

Yes, she committed a horrible crime. Not a single person has denied that. But that was 30 years ago and she went to prison for it. Seems like she turned her life around since then.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Wow you've discredited the 5mllion people who marched worldwide. Oh wait...

Racism makes people do crazy things. I know that sounds like a SJW thing to say but it's true. I'm not talking about her crimes but all the other stuff you listed. Say you do all the right things, you educate yourself, you take care of yourself, you're ambitious but nothing you do gets you a decent job, there's this invisible wall stopping you and you can't get through it. It's enough to make anyone crazy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Can someone explain to me the mindset here?
    Simple: people with different ideas can unite for a common cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awful, awful thread.

No one at the rally condoned her violence and a discussion about Sharia law requires more than three tweets.

Please stop grasping at straws. See you at the science march .

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Awful, awful thread.

No one at the rally condoned her violence and a discussion about Sharia law requires more than three tweets.

Please stop grasping at straws. See you at the science march .
    It's just righties being triggered by the women's march so they're grasping at straws to try to delegitimatize it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    This seems like a pointless thread trying to slander individuals of a much larger movement or protest.

Are you a Russian, OP?

Yes, those people mentioned are questionable, but one of them has paid for her crimes. People can change, I'd hope. That's normally what prison is made for. The muslim cunt can piss back off to wherever she came from, although I'm not reading too much into her words, Shariah Law might very well be misunderstood from a western perspective, I don't know it well enough to judge it.
    She wasn't given the death penalty so no she hasn't paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    You're bitching about "nazis" in another thread; nazis aren't socially acceptable so who gives a shit? Meanwhile murderers and Sharia activists get a pass as long as they hold the right flag.
    Hylton served 27 years of a 25-to-life sentence. In what way is that "getting a pass?" Convenient how, in all your breathless outrage, the fact that she was 1 of 7 people involved in the crime (and not even the instigator of the whole thing) gets glossed over. If criminals aren't allowed to be rehabilitated, what's the point in the criminal justice system?

As for the "Sharia activist." Given how many high-profile rightwing dickbags in this country have no problem pushing for Christian theocracy, and appearing at events hosted by people who think homosexuals should be executed...well...you'll forgive me if I don't give a fuck about what a relative nobody like her believes.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-01-27 at 10:23 AM.

This doesn't reflect on the women's march, but it does reflect on the organisers for speakers and CGTN America for giving her air time. Though, the devil's advocate here is clearly a lack of research over a respect for the person.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Feminazis being narcissistic/psychopathic bitches and olden media "letting" them selfs get manipulated color me surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Racism makes people do crazy things. I know that sounds like a SJW thing to say but it's true. I'm not talking about her crimes but all the other stuff you listed. Say you do all the right things, you educate yourself, you take care of yourself, you're ambitious but nothing you do gets you a decent job, there's this invisible wall stopping you and you can't get through it. It's enough to make anyone crazy.
    So you are saying that i have the right to torture Swedish females to death because i live in feminazistan?