Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Brewmaster 4pce bonus + lvl 100 talents

Hey guys, first thread that I'm posting. If this isn't where I should be, please point me in the right direction, now, onto the actual post:

With the Brewmaster's set bonus in NH, we've got brews generating like crazy. However, I only feel that way because I'm using the BoB with BoC combo of talents, and have 34% haste. I don't really deviate from that talent setup anyways.

My question is: With so many brews being generated, are we free to drop BoC and pick up something that may be more useful, such as ED and still perform alright? or will it be wrong to do so? I'm aware that NH has a ton of magic-heavy fights so obviously ED wouldn't help there, but does it have a place at all in NH?

High Tolerance isn't much of a concern to me because I know it is mainly useful combined with MV for magic fights. But I'm here to learn, so tell me what you know.

Thanks!

Im still waiting for tier on my monk, but i hear ED will be a goto for high physical fights. Might even be good for spellblade anihilliate (not sure if dodgable)

Instead of dropping BoC, which is so important, for the brew reduction cooldown, but also for the extra damage, this is not negligible, you should probably drop some haste. 34% is too high right now and you should better stack some Versatility or Mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Langbardr View Post
    Instead of dropping BoC, which is so important, for the brew reduction cooldown, but also for the extra damage, this is not negligible, you should probably drop some haste. 34% is too high right now and you should better stack some Versatility or Mastery.
    Is that a new thing for 7.1.5? Because I've always heard 33.8% is the sweet spot to get KS down to a flat 6sec CD (I think) and that it's the ideal amount of haste you want. If so then sure for I can get rid of some haste.

It just takes a huge amount of haste to get a 6s KS cd (12,522 iirc) that you end up giving up a lot of stats that can do more. Vers is really good for night hold due to all the magic damage in the instance.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    It just takes a huge amount of haste to get a 6s KS cd (12,522 iirc) that you end up giving up a lot of stats that can do more. Vers is really good for night hold due to all the magic damage in the instance.
    They also rebalanced the way raw stats convert to percentages in 7.1.5, so everyone lost a few percentage points of haste. 30-33% was difficult but not totally impossible before, but now you either have to get insanely lucky with gear drops or sacrifice tons of everything else to even get close. It's also still not difficult to get 100% ISB uptime with 15% haste, and once you can do that haste doesn't add that much more value. Lastly, since we're pretty strong right now, we can focus less on being tanky and more on doing damage - and haste is the least effective dps stat.

We're in a really good spot right now, as we get really strong results and all our stats are very close to each other in strength. We can pretty much gear for straight item level upgrades without worrying too much about stat distribution. Now we just need some reason to take tank trinkets instead of dps ones so we don't have to compete with melees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakiri View Post
    They also rebalanced the way raw stats convert to percentages in 7.1.5, so everyone lost a few percentage points of haste. 30-33% was difficult but not totally impossible before, but now you either have to get insanely lucky with gear drops or sacrifice tons of everything else to even get close. It's also still not difficult to get 100% ISB uptime with 15% haste, and once you can do that haste doesn't add that much more value. Lastly, since we're pretty strong right now, we can focus less on being tanky and more on doing damage - and haste is the least effective dps stat.

We're in a really good spot right now, as we get really strong results and all our stats are very close to each other in strength. We can pretty much gear for straight item level upgrades without worrying too much about stat distribution. Now we just need some reason to take tank trinkets instead of dps ones so we don't have to compete with melees.
    Which stats are best for DPS then? I remember reading it somewhere but can't find it anymore. I was already thinking of swapping enchants/gems for mastery so my gear can be more useful for wind walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakiri View Post

Yeah, this is also compounded by 4pc giving you a substantial amount more brews which was the main draw to even get more haste in the first place.

This is my character as it stands currently. No Nighthold gear yet since I had brought my prot Warrior for the first week, but I'm bringing my BrM for our next clear.

On Armory it says I have 34% haste but I think its less than that on live since I usually eat haste food (with pandaren bonus) to boost it up to 34%.
    I've got plenty of crit/vers crit/mastery gear in my bags for my other specs, would have no issue putting those on based on what you guys are saying.

Edit: Forgot to link my actual armory lol

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...gerzord/simple

Quote Originally Posted by zebrazoomba View Post
    Which stats are best for DPS then? I remember reading it somewhere but can't find it anymore. I was already thinking of swapping enchants/gems for mastery so my gear can be more useful for wind walker.
    From the BrM discord:

Gearing up guideline:
    1. If it's a 10 (15 for jewelry/sockets) ilvl upgrade, it's actually an upgrade.
    2. If it's <10/15 ilvl upgrade, take the one with tastier secondaries (usually mastery).
    3. If you can't decide which has tastier stats, take the higher ilvl one for more efficient gearsharing in the future, since the difference between the two is probably too small to make a meaningful impact.
    4. If you're gearing for dps, then look for vers and crit/mastery (whichever is lower atm). Haste doesn't seem to be all that good for dps. Remember, though, that agility will give the biggest increase, compared to perfectly balancing your stats.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    Yeah, this is also compounded by 4pc giving you a substantial amount more brews which was the main draw to even get more haste in the first place.
    Even without the 4 set 100% ISB shouldn't be too hard. Once you get it you should be swimming in brew charges. A lot of NH fights start slow and ramp up in tank damage too, which lets you focus on building up a buffer and not really needing to purify until later. Or since they're almost all tank swap fights, you can just pull 2nd and spend the first 15-45 seconds building up a big buffer.

Just swapped some gear around on my monk and I'm now sitting at 29% haste with 29% mastery, i made sure to at least get the next mastery breakpoint. When I'm doing NH later tonight I'll be trying ED and HT on specific fights. ED for spellblade and HT for pretty much any magic-heavy fight.

Having said that, I don't have any set pieces yet, so it might benefit me more to stay with BoC on most encounters, just for the ISB uptime.

If you want to go for survivability, HT + MV and haste gear is pretty much the best.
    Other stats are good too, so go for item level, but haste gems and food normally.
    And HT + MV is really good on every single fight in NH.

4pc favors HT more than BoC, because the base recharge of brews is lower with HT and that 1sec is relatively more.

(You will do shit dmg though without BoC ^^)

PS there is no mastery breakpoint at 29%, you must have an error in your calculations

First off, given how easy it is to keep ironskin brew up 100% of the time and with how high your stagger is at that point, I don't see any practical use in going for "mastery breakpoints". For average mitigation, there are no such breakpoints (trivial to see if you have a sheet for it). Their only practical purpose is to be 100% sure (instead of e.g. 99% when just below the "breakpoint") that you're not getting hit more than X times in a row. It would certainly be useful for other tanks where getting hit X times in a row can result in them dying to "burst" damage but it seems pointless for monks at this point.

Secondly, people here don't seem to get why haste is so strong. Keeping up ironskin brew 100% of the time is pretty trivial with almost any amount of haste. Just being able to almost fully stagger all attacks itself, however, doesn't provide any damage mitigation yet - it merely smoothens your damage intake. That's where haste and purifying brew come into play. Just like mastery results in effective mitigation by dodging more attacks (not against spells and most AoEs though), more haste allows you to use purifying brew more often which is direct mitigation as well - any purified damage is mitigated damage.

Having said all of that, high haste still comes at the price of some DPS so I'd only go as high as >30% for a purely defensive setup.
    Last edited by GT4; 2017-01-28 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    If you want to go for survivability, HT + MV and haste gear is pretty much the best.
    Other stats are good too, so go for item level, but haste gems and food normally.
    And HT + MV is really good on every single fight in NH.

4pc favors HT more than BoC, because the base recharge of brews is lower with HT and that 1sec is relatively more.

(You will do shit dmg though without BoC ^^)

PS there is no mastery breakpoint at 29%, you must have an error in your calculations
    29% percent as in, to cover the next closest breakpoint of 28.334%, I'm quite aware of it. It's very unlikely I would be able to get any closer to the exact percentage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
    29% percent as in, to cover the next closest breakpoint of 28.334%, I'm quite aware of it. It's very unlikely I would be able to get any closer to the exact percentage.
    Mastery breakpoints are dependent on your base dodge chance though..?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
    Mastery breakpoints are dependent on your base dodge chance though..? Which is why the breakpoints are different for every player.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

And I am pretty sure it is not at 29% or 28.334%, should be more around 30%.

You can generally ignore all mastery breakpoints. They aren't important. Between Brew-stache, potions, what's hitting you, its level, if it dual wields, and the presence of any adds, it's not worth micromanaging.

A better guideline than a breakpoint would be: "more mastery = better."

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Mastery breakpoints are dependent on your base dodge chance though..?

- - - Updated - - -

Mastery breakpoints are dependent on your base dodge chance though..? Which is why the breakpoints are different for every player.
    If that's the case then my character's closest breakpoint is at 28.85% mastery, so i'm still fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    You can generally ignore all mastery breakpoints. They aren't important. Between Brew-stache, potions, what's hitting you, its level, if it dual wields, and the presence of any adds, it's not worth micromanaging.

A better guideline than a breakpoint would be: "more mastery = better."
    More mastery is better but there are certain % where it is most effective and if you are in between 2 such points you don't get the same value out of mastery as you will overcap dodge after 3 hits eg.

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    More mastery is better but there are certain % where it is most effective and if you are in between 2 such points you don't get the same value out of mastery as you will overcap dodge after 3 hits eg.
    But those situations are only happening a fraction of the time. When your getting hit 100 times in a boss fight it doesn't really matter if you overcap on mastery 3 times out of it. That level of micromanagement does not provide a noticeable survivability increase for us.

Breakpoints matter when there is a significant difference between performance before and after the breakpoint and that is simply not the case.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death