Motherboard and processors

Hi people,

So tomorrow I'm going shopping for some new components for a new computer.

What I'm wondering is: what motherboard should I get?
    And which of these processors is better?

Intel Core i7 7700 / 3.6 GHz vs Intel Core i7 6700K / 4 GHz

kind regards

Chiefy

Which motherboard is going to depend on which CPU and which CPU is going to be better is going to depend entirely on what you are going to be using the computer for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Which motherboard is going to depend on which CPU and which CPU is going to be better is going to depend entirely on what you are going to be using the computer for.
    Will be using it for gaming purposes in generel

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    Then you will want an i5 insted of the i7. You will not gain anything in games with the i7

You can use z270 mobo's for both i5 6600k and i5 7600k
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

If just gaming, no streaming or encoding or anything like that, then no reason to even look at i7's. They will offer no tangible benefit over an i5. Either way, you'll want one with a K after it and a Z270 Motherboard so that you can OC it.

pcpartpicker.com is a pretty fantastic resource for sorting through compatibility, pricing, and reviews. Highly recommend giving it a try when matching up motherboard to CPU if these fine fellows are somewhat confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    aH yes, the Y chromosome, noted summoner of rape demons from the misogyny dimension.

Thank you all for your response. Being able to stream would be nice as well!

So streaming & gaming.

Can the z270 rock the newest made processors? I really want a motherboard that is future proof so I can keep upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by xact4 View Post
    pcpartpicker.com is a pretty fantastic resource for sorting through compatibility, pricing, and reviews. Highly recommend giving it a try when matching up motherboard to CPU if these fine fellows are somewhat confusing.
    Thanks for the link

- - - Updated - - -

Asus Prime Z270-P- ATX / Z270 this any good?

or go for strix z270h?

I would get the Asus z170k and i5 6600k. The performance gains of kaby lake over skylake are minimal, just save that money, and no need for the i7 over i5 either.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2017-01-27 at 11:04 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You won't be able to really future proof your motherboard since I am almost certain Coffee Lake will use an entirely new socket. What you get now will be what you'll get in 2018 as far as Kaby Lake is concerned.

Coffee Lake will have six core processors which span the spectrum rather than be reserved for the high-end -E 2011/66 socket models.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all for your response. Being able to stream would be nice as well!

So streaming & gaming.

Can the z270 rock the newest made processors? I really want a motherboard that is future proof so I can keep upgrading.

Thanks for the link

- - - Updated - - -

Asus Prime Z270-P- ATX / Z270 this any good?

or go for strix z270h?
    Don't go for the H270. You can't OC on it and it has no SLI/CF support and you loose alot of other features. If you want the Strix board, wich is an awesome board, then go for the F model or if you want WIFI, then you want the E model

If you are just gonna stream a little, then you still just want the i5
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Intel Core i5-7600K vs 6600k? From what I see I can get them at more or less the same price, is the 6600k superior to 7600k?

15+ Year Old Account
    Intel Core i5-7600K vs 6600k? From what I see I can get them at more or less the same price, is the 6600k superior to 7600k?
    If it's the same price, then go with the 7600k. it's the newest line of Intel cpu's, but not much faster then the 6600k, but still newer

MSI Z270 Gaming-Pro - ATX / Z270 + the 7600k good choice? Its within my price range and seem to work

15+ Year Old Account
    MSI Z270 Gaming-Pro - ATX / Z270 + the 7600k good choice? Its within my price range and seem to work
    That will work fine and it's a good mobo

Deleted
    Never get a Non-Overclockable CPU. Overclocking gives your CPU a way way higher lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by BITBYBIT View Post
    Never get a Non-Overclockable CPU. Overclocking gives your CPU a way way higher lifetime.
    Your post related to any of the hardware I mentioned recently?

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Don't go for the H270. You can't OC on it and it has no SLI/CF support and you loose alot of other features. If you want the Strix board, wich is an awesome board, then go for the F model or if you want WIFI, then you want the E model

If you are just gonna stream a little, then you still just want the i5
    It's not an H270 board.. It's a z270 but H is one of the models of the z270 Strix. It has a couple models. There is an E, G & H...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813132931

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    You won't be able to really future proof your motherboard since I am almost certain Coffee Lake will use an entirely new socket. What you get now will be what you'll get in 2018 as far as Kaby Lake is concerned.

Coffee Lake will have six core processors which span the spectrum rather than be reserved for the high-end -E 2011/66 socket models.
    Well, that or wait for Ryzen. Unsure of what they have next and if it will use a new socket or not though.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, that or wait for Ryzen. Unsure of what they have next and if it will use a new socket or not though.
    AMD will be using the same socket for at least four years, according to this source.

As for Intel, I got mixed up a little. Cannon Lake will be out before Coffee Lake but due to yield issues with their 10nm die shrink from Kaby Lake will only offer a limited release to the mobile market on a BGA socket.

In any case, yes, if anyone is looking to build a new computer I will continue to echo the "wait till Zen" sentiment. It's just too close not to.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-01-28 at 06:14 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.