Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Then I will vote no.
    We will mine I 15.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Medievaldragon View Post
    Unprecedented. California has a proposal to exit statehood off the United States as its own sovereign country.
    The amount of precedent we have for this not happening is quite immense, actually.

Yes there are potentially less violent scenarios but the chances of all the necessary pieces falling into place are basically nil.

Never mind the fact that a large portion of California's economy and influence are directly tied to its influence as a part of the united states The US economy is simply too interwoven to break off one state and have it just do fine, even one as big as California.
    Last edited by Alfador; 2017-01-27 at 10:19 PM.

You'd think the right would be in favor of bending the rules and letting CA leave. That would basically insure a republican in the White House for decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    The amount of precedent we have for this not happening is quite immense, actually.

Yes there are potentially less violent scenarios but the chances of all the necessary pieces falling into place are basically nil.

Never mind the fact that a large portion of California's economy and influence are directly tied to its influence as a part of the united states The US economy is simply too interwoven to break off one state and have it just do fine, even one as big as California.
    Trump will never be President.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Since this is the 10th thread this week with the exact same op ill reiterate. Please please please please let them go. oh pretty please!! Ahem. Cant happen, its no more possible then the 7,000,000 times Texas tried this. Its sucks because it would be the third happiest day of my life after my wedding and the birth of my kids.
    You say that because it is cool to have a west coast east coast rivalry, but really both of us would be worse off in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    You can't make a man\woman stay in an abusive relationship by threatening force. That's just wrong.

What I really do want to see happen is for this to make it to the ballet. I really want to see how many in Cali want to leave. Honestly, if 90+% vote to leave, I think they should seriously consider letting it happen. I'm sure we'll set up great trade deals and barely notice them gone.

Let them go. Who are they going to turn to for defense when the military bases on California soil start bombing three ever-loving shit out of everything.

Seriously they'd be defenseless, no nation would help them because it would draw our ire, and when we were done wiping the floor with what little help they would get California would become a man bun concentration camp and we'd steam roll their allies for the giggles.

And even before all that would happen they'd likely go broke from all the deals they enjoy because they are in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    No, no the rest of the US hates you guys. Please, please go. Not you personally, im sure your a fine lad. I would be fine with just cutting Hollywood off into the sea. Oh, and also... we want Jon Jafari. Leave him please.
    EDIT: Oh shit he lives in NY now. Nvm carry on.
    Awwww man thats a punch in the feels
    Fine get rid of Hollywood. Never really saw what all the fuss was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    You'd think the right would be in favor of bending the rules and letting CA leave. That would basically insure a republican in the White House for decades to come.
    Then NY will do it and USA economy dies off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    FWIW I never was one of the people who said that. It was always a very real concern for me. Well, most of the time at least. I scoffed at the people who said that for the same reason I said this. It's wishful and reductionist thinking which rarely turns out to be true by anything other than blind luck.
    People assumed trump would never be president based on relatively simple conclusions, that something was so overwhelmingly simple and apparent that it just had to be too important for people to vote for him despite it. Then it would become clear that wasn't the case, but something else would come along and the cycle repeated.

This is more akin to the people wishfully thinking trump will get impeached out of office. No way he's getting 50% of the house to impeach him then 2/3 of the senate tto convict him short of committing high treason befitting an episode of 24. Too many moving pieces, whereas to get elected he only had to satisfy one criteria, get enough people to believe him. Likewise, for a state to secede peacefully, it would have to muster the same level of support that a constitutional amendment would have to to pass. A short-sighted population might vote internally to attempt to secede, but there are far too many complexities in getting all the states and appropriate levels of federal gov't necessary to accept it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    You can't make a man\woman stay in an abusive relationship by threatening force. That's just wrong.

What I really do want to see happen is for this to make it to the ballet. I really want to see how many in Cali want to leave. Honestly, if 90+% vote to leave, I think they should seriously consider letting it happen. I'm sure we'll set up great trade deals and barely notice them gone.
    You think right and wrong have something to do with this... adorable.

Look, laws of all countries force their citizenry to do things they don't want to with the threat of force or prison. That's how rule of government works. Looking past the laughable notion that California is somehow the beaten spouse in a demotic violence analogy, when the abuser is the one making the rules, they tend not to recognize the legitimacy of the complaint, just FYI. I mean seriously ask some abused women or children how many of their abusers just peacefully let them leave when they said "I don't like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same XD

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think this is a silly move on CA's part I am getting a mighty good laugh at the Trump supporters in this thread thinking this would be a good idea.

In a fantasy land where both this happens and Mexico agrees to pay the 20% on imported produce to the States I want the average American citizen to think about the cost of their fruits and vegetables. Nothing says stupid like shooting yourself in the foot by chasing out a large portion of your agriculture.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    We alreayd have a pretty lengthy thread on Calexit here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...hlight=Calexit

closing