Issues with using SEF in big aoe packs

I think this more an issue with tab targeting, but it seems like when there are big packs and I want to aoe them down (IE Helya) I let SEF out, hit tab, and can't target a single mob that's within range. So I end up running around trying to frantically click on someone but it seems like I can't actually click on someone who's right in front of me. It's like, I click, but then nothing happens, like I'm not clicking the right spot to highlight and tag the mob. It's frustrating because by the time I get my bearings, the pack is pretty much dead and SEF has been wasted. I think latency has some to do with it as well as I usually run with 90-100ms latency, sometimes shooting up to 200-300.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any way to fix it? I know tab targeting is being looked in to for 7.2 but still sometimes I waste almost an entire SEF just trying to target the adds and I can't seem to get the right one. It gets frustrating.

It hasn't been as bad in Nighthold because most of the packs get stacked up to where if I tab target I'm usually within range, but ToV was the worst between the 3 raids. That raid alone almost made me switch to a new class. I'm stickin with Monk now through NH though.

I have something similar happen sometimes where I try to navigate to a mob that I wanna interrupt or something, and since tab targetting is hopeless i have to click and I can't get the right one and I waste valuable seconds not attacking... but it was a way bigger issue with Serenity than with SEF.

I think that's one of the reasons why I was never good with serenity because you only have a few short seconds to get everything in so if you have to switch targets then your screwed. Definitely can't do the tab target dance in packs to build sck.

Yeah, I've had some major issues with tab targeting as well. Hopefully they'll fix it as they promised.

I have the same problem sometimes. I wish FoF didn't require a target to use.

Yes, tab targeting has been horrendous by blizzard for long time. This is where RJW comes into play now in 7.1.5. On fights with heavy aoe damage or Mythic + I'll hit SEF, do RJW, get stacks and SCK, RJW again add more and SCK,, works well. You have to give up the Hit combo but on mobs like Helya and some of the NH bosses it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouyang View Post
    I have the same problem sometimes. I wish FoF didn't require a target to use.
    This, it makes no sense for it to require a target

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambusbo View Post
    This, it makes no sense for it to require a target
    especially since SotW and WDP behave differently already

Deleted
    Odd thing is, with my feral druid I can tab target close mobs pretty reliably. With monk, it feels like I can have 5 mobs front of me and tab-target picks nothing. Yes feral has lot longer melee range but that should not effect tab-target?

Deleted
    I noticed in NH that the clones are not tagging mobs for SCK stacks even when I attack with TP they either attack the same target or simply dont attack, not sure which.

As you said, this has nothing to do with Monks or SEF. This is a game functionality problem. Every melee in my guild complains about it regardless of class.

Blizzard has acknowledged that tab targeting is bad, and it’s one of the areas for improvement in 7.2 (PTR notes):

• Tab targeting improvements: We’re hard at work making some improvements to this feature, and have a few updates in this build that should make tab targeting feel more natural. Please let us know what you think!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rulee View Post
    I think that's one of the reasons why I was never good with serenity because you only have a few short seconds to get everything in so if you have to switch targets then your screwed. Definitely can't do the tab target dance in packs to build sck.
    Things Blizzard completely broke with 7.1 and still didn't bother to fix:

- Tab targeting
    - (Dalaran) Loading screens
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

This completely summed up all of my frustration. its been bonkers on scorpyron also.. Tab target feeels so fucking broken.. Makes me want to smash my keyboard.

Deleted
    Tab-targeting but also mouseover targeting - complete PITA. I tried using both for double ToD from the leg gloves, but still ended up missing A LOT of the follow up casts. I tried different frame setups and addons - still sucked. I think that's the real reason why Blizz really made the window on these gloves less tight - from 3 sec to 5 sec. At least now I can really make use of them.
    The issue still remains when trying interrupts in big packs, which ends up with leg sweep and war stomp/that_belf_racial_spell being more reliable to interrupt there ... workarounds everywhere.