Smile Demon Hunter Vengeance.

I pretty much just fell in love with Demon Hunter, cause I put down my hunter for the first time since the beginning of WOTLK, and actually played something else for me, instead for a raid, or guild, or something. In essence, I want to be a Demon Hunter Tank. Does anyone have any pointers for me to perform well, anything I could work on that is overlooked at all?

Deleted
    I main a Tank Demon Hunter but i'm not pro so my opinion is probably flawed.

I think there is not much to it really. Demon Spikes on cooldown. Infernal Strike with the talent of spawning a sigil of flame to get AoE aggro + immolation aura.
    Save AoE cooldowns to when you need to pull adds.

Hum...i don't know. In terms of survival you will have a hard time on low item levels and you need very good healers to keep you alive. I started doing Mythics at 817 item level lol. And i gave a hard time to healers a lot of times but is doable THey just need to be good healers.

Always have Last Resort. It saved me A LOT of times.

One good question is if you pick Fel Devastation or Spirit Bomb.
    Fel devastation gives you a burst heal of 500k but Spirit Bomb heals you for 20% of all damage done. Not sure what is best.

I'm afraid i don't have any tips lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I main a Tank Demon Hunter but i'm not pro so my opinion is probably flawed.

I think there is not much to it really. Demon Spikes on cooldown. Infernal Strike with the talent of spawning a sigil of flame to get AoE aggro + immolation aura.
    Save AoE cooldowns to when you need to pull adds.

Hum...i don't know. In terms of survival you will have a hard time on low item levels and you need very good healers to keep you alive. I started doing Mythics at 817 item level lol. And i gave a hard time to healers a lot of times but is doable THey just need to be good healers.

Always have Last Resort. It saved me A LOT of times.

One good question is if you pick Fel Devastation or Spirit Bomb.
    Fel devastation gives you a burst heal of 500k but Spirit Bomb heals you for 20% of all damage done. Not sure what is best.

I'm afraid i don't have any tips lol
    You don't want to use Demon Spikes on cooldown all the time, especially if there's mechanics that require active mitigation. Depending on talents, you won't be using Infernal Strike all the time either.

Also, Last Resort is no longer the best talent to pick for the final tier. It can still be good for heavy progression, or if you're newer and aren't sure of your survivability. Otherwise it falls behind the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    Also, Last Resort is no longer the best talent to pick for the final tier. It can still be good for heavy progression, or if you're newer and aren't sure of your survivability. Otherwise it falls behind the others.
    Others? It's literally are you at risk of being globalled? Last Resort. Otherwise? SB. DI is literal trash and it's whatever is below trash when you have your 4 piece.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't want to use Demon Spikes on cooldown all the time, especially if there's mechanics that require active mitigation.
    You still want to use DS on CD, just in a way that doesn't leave it with downtime for the AM check. Especially with Razor Spikes, leaving DS uptime on the table is a no no. Once you have your 4 piece uptime is pretty trivial anyways and you should 100% be using it on CD.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    DI is literal trash and it's whatever is below trash when you have your 4 piece.
    DI is still a great DPS talent with Fracture even after you get your 4pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Veiled Shadow View Post
    DI is still a great DPS talent with Fracture even after you get your 4pc.
    Sure, if you're so hard up for dps that you need a 1% theoretical increase

Of all the talents that increase dps in the talent tree it's literal shit. I guess it has some value since the other 2 do not increase dps at all, however Soul Barrier allows you to Fracture a hell of a lot more with less Soul Cleaves needed so I'm not even sure that's the case.

You should read this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-Hunter-Guide
    It helps and then practise. DH doesnt work like mitigation tanks (guardian/prot war) but after you get used to it, its really simple.

There are several core cooldowns of abilities and a couple mechanics that require attention aside from the general "threat and smash"

My character is on the US Realm Kilrogg. Her name is Nymrael. You can look me up to get an idea of the abilities you can use while tanking heroics and entering mythic.
    I haven't had any trouble doing any of the content and with my current build I can solo any of the group content quite easily.

As always, others will have different suggestions on most everything. Use a rough guide and test it yourself to see what feels good for you first.
    I disagree with others that come out and say "It's easy if you do x and y".

No tank class is as easy to play as straight damage for the fact that you have more to worry about than a rotation and movement; you also have threat and mitigation to worry about. I raided as a DPS for over 6 years and I find tanking more challenging and more fulfilling.

Like I said though, others will disagree with that and that is fine. Find what works for you. Feel free to shoot me a whisper if you have any questions.

TL;DR Nymrael - Kilrogg Server
    Revelation 21:6 - I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.

I highly recommend this classic from Preach Gaming for anyone new to tanking. He's done newer ones, but this one is timeless. It's not about demon hunters specifically, but about your overall mindset for tanking: how to read your group, evaluate your healer, and set yourself up for success - all within the first couple of pulls.

Tanking Basics

- - - Updated - - -

Munkky is active here in the forums, and put together a pretty solid guide for demon hunters on WoWhead. He doesn't just tell you to use one build (most tiers have more than one good option now), but explains the pros and cons of each talent. He also covers artifact traits, rotation, stat priority - everything you need to know.

Vengeance Demon Hunter Overview

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    I highly recommend this classic from Preach Gaming for anyone new to tanking. He's done newer ones, but this one is timeless. It's not about demon hunters specifically, but about your overall mindset for tanking: how to read your group, evaluate your healer, and set yourself up for success - all within the first couple of pulls.

Tanking Basics

- - - Updated - - -

Munkky is active here in the forums, and put together a pretty solid guide for demon hunters on WoWhead. He doesn't just tell you to use one build (most tiers have more than one good option now), but explains the pros and cons of each talent. He also covers artifact traits, rotation, stat priority - everything you need to know.

Vengeance Demon Hunter Overview

This is all very good information that Peacekeeper Benhir wrote out and linked for you. I would definitely go through his information and see what stands out for you.
    Revelation 21:6 - I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.

You don't want to use Demon Spikes on cooldown all the time, especially if there's mechanics that require active mitigation. Depending on talents, you won't be using Infernal Strike all the time either.

I just wanted to elaborate this bit for anyone reading because it doesn't make sense unless you're told. When you're reading boss abilities in the dungeon journal and it says "Use active mitigation" it means one specific ability, and for Vengeance that is only Demon Spikes. Even if it is a magic ability, if it says "active mitigation" it means Demon Spikes. You can pop both DS and Empower Wards if it's magic of course, just make sure you at least use DS.

10+ Year Old Account
    All you have to do to make sure you have Demon Spikes available for a key boss ability is not use both charges right away. Use one immediately and leave the other charge. Then use Demon Spikes on cooldown--i.e. whenever that second charge comes back up.

You basically lose no up-time (you're rolling a single charge over the entire encounter unless you actually need to use it and if the encounter is near the end, you can simply use both charges) and you always have one ready if needed.

In general with charge system abilities, as long as you're not spending time sitting at max charges, you're not losing anything.
    Last edited by shanthi; 2017-01-30 at 06:43 PM.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.