Poll: Should multi-boxing be against the WoW terms of service?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I would love it if there was a game just like wow with a multi-box like feel. Where you could make macro's to control a whole party. I would love to set up a whole raid team to do dungeons and raids. The other party members would be more like bots so you would not have to have multiple copies of the game running.

Deleted
    Simpel yes. It kills the very little wpvp that is left in the game.
    Blizzard should start making wpvp objects like we had in TbC - control a tower/ others and gain increased rep or XP in that zone.

I don't think it should be against the ToS, since multiboxing is only an instrument to improve single player enjoyment and some game-play, depending on the activity. I understand where a team might feel overpowered in PvP. That the contraption is stronger than the acting composition, but multiboxers have been overthrown and impaled, so it's not impossible to overcome them. However, disallowing the use of other sources that act as a substitute to cause advantage in PvP (i.e. items that lag people out), is something I dislike. Not much a player can do against server pockets either, and that helps both parties to a degree. I've done a little multiboxing with my Mistweavers and the use of smart healing, which was was fun. That's all it is... fun. It's a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Aren't they inherently breaking the "1 button 1 action rule" by controlling multiple characters?
    No? They have one action per one button press per account.

100% Banned.

They are controlling one account if that at all. They are using software which replicates their actions in multiple windows.

Using 3rd party software to carry out actions in game. It is that black and white.

Think of herbing and mining. Now nodes do not instantly despawn, 10 accounts could harvest 10 nodes with one click. Is that fair? Surely the player should have to click 10 times to carry out the 10 actions. But

Deleted
    For all those griping about instanced PVP I believe that /follow doesn't work anymore in instanced PVP. Plus, sometimes a multiboxer can stimulate WPvP. Someone hears about a multiboxer sometimes they go out of their way to kill them or their presence causes people to organize since they often can take them alone.

I've never understood why this issue is so passionately upsetting to some people. I have personally been on the receiving end of multiboxers in world-pvp, which isn't much more different than having a keyboard turning pve-character get the drop on me. In legion pvp, I'm dead either way, because pve-gear is more powerful than mine. Which is dumb
    Even if I didn't think it was cool as hell, I still would be in favour of it being allowed. And I've never tried it, and I doubt I would, even if I could afford it. I'm still being in favour of it. Because it simply is that cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Aren't they inherently breaking the "1 button 1 action rule" by controlling multiple characters?
    #showtooltip
    /use [@focus,exists][]Shadowstep
    /use [@focus,exists,harm][]Kick
    Two actions both off GCD, should I get banned now?
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2017-01-28 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    #showtooltip
    /use [@focus,exists][]Shadowstep
    /use [@focus,exists,harm][]Kick
    Two actions both off GCD, should I get banned now?
    Using the macro system that blizzard provided. not using 10 accounts with third party software, solid effort.

It not being against the rules does not determine its ethicacy. Bliz can make a rule saying the sky is green, doesn't make the sky green.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingerie View Post
    No? They have one action per one button press per account.
    Which is multiple actions per press.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2017-01-28 at 06:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    Incidentally, he's also a real life pedophile, some 40+ year old guy who hangs out outside middle schools to pick up children. In the way you wish it wasn't. And he has a guide on the internet how to exploit the gap in the laws in order to get away with it.
    if you have proof of this, then you have to contact the authorities, even if it is just to warn them about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gharld View Post
    Its one of those things where they arent breaking any rules, but it just feels cheap as hell to get instagibbed by a small herd of gnome mages with the same(ish) name. I wouldnt shed a tear to see it become against ToS
    It feels cheap until you try it yourself, and find out how truly squishy and VERY situationally dependent they are. Go read the MB sites, they discuss their weaknesses and tactics there, openly. Learn how they work - then they're pretty easy to take out. They rely on the average player not knowing any of that.

Every other form of botting is, so yes.

Against the ToS? Hell no, I would even go so far as to say that the gov't should SUBSIDIZE multi-boxing. PvP guilds would find a renewed purpose, and it would all trickle back down on the community somehow.

I used to multi-box, so, yes, I'm biased. I understand people hate it, and it's fine, your opinion is yours. I just try to dispell a lot of the myths surrounding it.

Me, personally, I never PvPed, for one reason - the other players in the BG should be able to opt out if I were to random join, and the opposing side, as well. And, I don't think they should be able to participate in ranked play. I didn't do LFR either, as I thought it's unfair to the rest of the group, and they'd have to be penalized for dropping if they didn't want me there. Since I was doing dungeons alone anyway, it wasn't much of an issue.

Other than that, game on.

I started out with 2 - I leveled 2 mages together, one fire, one frost, and I got hooked. Beating up dungeons alone is a cool thing to do - and all the loot is yours, a definite plus. RAF is pretty cool, too. Then I really got into it, i ignored the 1 tank 4 healer build, and did a mixed team - pally, warlock, mage, druid, rogue. I swapped the druid out for a priest, and tried a DK tank for a while. The rogue was the biggest challenge of all. It took quite a while to get them up and working and the macros worked out, but I started beating up Wrath dungeons solo - and by the end, was destroying Heroics. You really drill down into classes doing that, I learned a ton about those classes doing it. I gave it up at the start of Cata - the time i had available to play was reduced, and just getting the team up and running ate up most of the session.

I'll say this, too - I don't know what it's like now, but the MB crowd is VERY careful not to break rules. Dual-boxing is or was a good site for most of the legit MBers, and they went to great lengths to keep everyone in sync with the rules, and not allowing cheaters to talk about breaking the rules.

If you don't like it, fine. Blizzard currently disagrees, and it's their game. They've stated that some of the devs have multiboxed. MBing has been around a lot longer than WoW, it's nothing new, and it's an outlier, not a significant number of players. Extra income? Sure, a little, but they make significantly more from legit cheaters who use bots. Advantage? Of course - one player vs 5 will always lose, no matter how many people are involved. (Again, I didnt pvp) And the disadvantages far outnumber the advantages - taking out a MV team is easy, if you understand how they work, and where their weaknesses are. (Hint: get behind them)

But, I would quickly support some kind of system that flags teams, and gives other players the choice to opt out of PvP or LFR when a MB team is present. (They can be pretty useful, and there were tons of 2-character teams in LFR in Pandaria). Players should be able to choose wether to play with them, or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    More like: They look the other way because it makes them more money.

- - - Updated - - -

This right here.

- - - Updated - - -

And deny Blizz their extra $15 a month? Not likely.

This always amuses me. There simply aren't that many of them. In a game that counts players in the millions, the couple of thousand MBers (if even that) is hardly a significant income for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    Incidentally, he's also a real life pedophile, some 40+ year old guy who hangs out outside middle schools to pick up children. In the way you wish it wasn't. And he has a guide on the internet how to exploit the gap in the laws in order to get away with it.
    You'd better have definitive proof of what you're accusing him of, because you just set yourself up for one hell of a libel suit, if it's not true. And yes, it's on you to prove it, if sued. You'd better hope there's no way to link your statement to the actual player. You'd better pray HARD.

Deleted
    I see no gameplay disadvantage to Multiboxing. If those 4 MB alts wipe you and this is the best complaint you can come up with, are you really of a mind that if they were 4 separate players you would have survived?

When people think of multiboxxing they think ofnprepared wow and how he griefs pvp servers by running around with 50 wow accounts.

If some dude wanna level 5 characters (healers especially) at the same time who are you to tell him no?
    Insert cringe politically charged signature here

7+ Year Old Account
    I've only met multi boxers a handful of times, it doesn't bother me too much
    Heard that some multi boxers had like 40-50 (or something crazy) and was bringing down servers/holding main cities for large periods of time. Which led to large groups forming in an attempt to kill said multi boxer...this kind of stuff is a gray area.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has said repeatedly it's not against tos, that they support it, and that many of them multi-box. The only argument against allowing it is extremely weak (controlling multiple accounts in pvp), since 2+ separate people could just as easily team up and gank or essentially 1 shot and the effect is the same. Might as well say you want to make teaming against tos. Not to mention 2 multiboxed characters are weaker and easier to beat than 2 separate people teaming up. The results of the poll also show those against it are the minority. So I'd hope Blizz never gives in to the complainers on multiboxing.

Multiboxing is fun, a great way to level alts, and a very good way to refresh your interest in the game by taking a different perspective on playing wow. I suggest you try it. If you do you'll find it's challenging in a way that you may really like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I would love it if there was a game just like wow with a multi-box like feel. Where you could make macro's to control a whole party. I would love to set up a whole raid team to do dungeons and raids. The other party members would be more like bots so you would not have to have multiple copies of the game running.
    Grenado Espada (back before it swan-dived off the pay to win slope) handled like that. You had a huge roster of characters you could recruit and you can create characters, and you can put three in a party and control all three at once.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Which is multiple actions per press.
    Not really. There is only one action per press on each account. There is no automation at all: no actions will happen without explicit action from player. Just face it: multiboxing is 100% legal.