Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question Why are the very top guilds all EU?

I apologise as I do realise a topic like this is pretty inflammatory, but I'm genuinely interested and not in any way motivated by trolling.
    Just wondering if there's some established knowledge as to why there's such a distinct separation. My ideas:

• Is it just a genuine skill gap? Seems implausible, listed first to get it out of the way.
    • EU benefit from having a day to anaylyse US comps, perhaps even strategies.
    • EU benefit from 24 hours of bug fixes and hotfixes.
    • EU people have better internet connections maybe?
    • US culture stereotypically is more individualistic in its ideologies, so don't team-play so well?
    • EU people are stereotypically more reserved, and thus more compliant/manipulated by a single strong leader/co-ordinator?
    • EU's more flexible working hours simply allow for more devotion to a clear?

The last one would seem the most believable factor to me, but I don't see how there wouldn't be quite a few people in the US able to no-life the game for a couple of weeks, to at least be in and around the top.

I've etched out my theories above, and hope some people can respond with some genuine thoughts, or even better insight+knowledge. This is the 1st 'world first race' I've paid attention to, and it has really captured my imagination, so hoping to be educated some without it turning into a troll-fest, please and thank you!

Well this is just all kinds of offensive

Quote Originally Posted by neiljwd View Post
    [*]Is it just a genuine skill gap? Seems implausible, listed first to get it out of the way.
    Have you watched other games where teams have native NA players?

Quote Originally Posted by Levatio View Post
    Well this is just all kinds of offensive
    Really is it? I'm asking why - not stating what is? Could you please not just contribute to the topic rather than derail it with off topic commentary that will only encourage the crappy arguments you fear.
    If people stick to the subject matter there's less chance of stuff getting out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Have you watched other games where teams have native NA players?
    Nope I haven't! Never cared about e-gaming in any shape at all. I watched some of the EU PvP stuff a few months back to get the patron of war title... never did get awarded that title... and the commentators analysis was seemingly that these EU teams would have their work cut out against the US teams, so I assumed US are better, yes?

Your reply seems to imply I'd have picked up on something if I was more versed in the genre, what is that please?
    Last edited by neiljwd; 2017-01-29 at 02:04 AM.

It's simple. People in Europe raiding scene care more. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's it.

Although it wouldn't explain the difference within the first week of release, it does play a part come week 2 (assuming WF is still up for grabs).

Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    It's simple. People in Europe raiding scene care more. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's it.
    This is pretty much it.

Deleted
    Your last point is pretty spot on. In EU there is a bigger middle class and the working class are richer than in US. With higher minimum wages and strong uninions, people are having more freedom in terms of longer and flexible vecations etc.

Or maybe i'm just illinformed and talking bs, dno.

Discussion always leads to "europeans have more time bla bla, they dont work, bla bla".

As Realtalk already said.

They simply care more, they get butthurt if they lose and there is a very serious love/hate relationship between top guilds, or if they arent top 1-5-10 whatever it is for each guild.

The whole "Freedom" "money" "easier life" was thrown around because Paragon was Finnish and yeah an all Finnish guild, one of the what was it..Best country to live in? Something like that, i could understand because life is easier there, thats for sure but its not that only.

But comparing International European guilds isnt the same, i doubt they recruit with "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKUP FREE DAYS FROM WORK GUYZ".
    Last edited by potis; 2017-01-29 at 02:12 AM.

The best of the best can get endorsements and get paid for it, can't they? Heard the US has laws that prevent that.

EU is more skilled at WoW PvE

They have a better welfare system which means they can stay home and play WoW all day.
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

Quote Originally Posted by Teevo View Post
    The best of the best can get endorsements and get paid for it, can't they? Heard the US has laws that prevent that.
    But don't all top guilds have sponsors/donors?
    I mean, I guess, they do make some good money with progression streams and their YT videos.

I think, it does not hurt big labels like Alienware, Asus rog, msi, razer, steelseries, etc. To "pay" (or donate) those top players ~2000 bucks per month per (core)member.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Discussion always leads to "europeans have more time bla bla, they dont work, bla bla".

As Realtalk already said.

They simply care more, they get butthurt if they lose and there is a very serious love/hate relationship between top guilds, or if they arent top 1-5-10 whatever it is for each guild.

The whole "Freedom" "money" "easier life" was thrown around because Paragon was Finnish and yeah an all Finnish guild, one of the what was it..Best country to live in? Something like that, i could understand because life is easier there, thats for sure but its not that only.

But comparing International European guilds isnt the same, i doubt they recruit with "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKUP FREE DAYS FROM WORK GUYZ".
    The US simply doesn't have a lot of good players, simple as that. Compare the EU scene to the US one and watch how much bigger the EU one is @ CS:GO

Deleted
    maybe posting this when it's 3 AM in europe isn't the best way to get real answers. It's so obvious that all of you guys (especially OP) are americans and have all the traits that come with

- - - Updated - - -

also europe isn't a country lul

I've always found that the gaming culture in EU is simply a lot bigger. Its not just in WoW that all the top guilds and players are from EU, they are also a lot better in games like Hearthstone.

More time off for most countries versus the US

Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    They have a better welfare system which means they can stay home and play WoW all day.
    No, we can take 2 weeks off work if we want do. We don't have North Korean labour laws like the US.

Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    how come there are no top tier canadian guilds then?:P

but limit is world #3 right now, which isnt bad at all

we'll see how it turns out but still

Deleted

The last one would seem the most believable factor to me, but I don't see how there wouldn't be quite a few people in the US able to no-life the game for a couple of weeks, to at least be in and around the top.
    Top guilds often take a week or two weeks off work (both EU/US), in fact, one of the requirements for these guilds are usually 100% attendance during mythic progression so this point is definitely not the reason and a complete moot point.