Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah don't worry about mastery breakpoints. But if you want to calculate one you have to take 100 and subtract your base dodge PLUS 2 for dungeons OR 3 for raids (to account for the level difference of the bosses) to get value X. So if you want to raid and you have 14% base dodge, 100 - 14 - 3 = 83. Now X is 83. Divide X by the number of hits you'd like to take before you reach 100% dodge. 83 /3 = 27.66% mastery breakpoint. 83 /4 = 20.75% mastery breakpoint.

at the end of the day worrying about such trivial breakpoints is just super unimportant compared to choosing the right stats.

If a certain amount of mastery would guarantee you hit 100% dodge after three hits, any mastery past that still increases the chance for you to dodge after 2 hits. It's all good, you don't get less of a benefit from the stat after that point. Just because the breakpoint is there doesn't mean it is all that meaningful. Just like the haste breakpoint to get Keg Smash to 6s. It's there, but it just makes the rotation smoother, the breakpoint itself doesn't really mean too much defensively or offensively speaking on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Yeah don't worry about mastery breakpoints. But if you want to calculate one you have to take 100 and subtract your base dodge PLUS 2 for dungeons OR 3 for raids (to account for the level difference of the bosses) to get value X. So if you want to raid and you have 14% base dodge, 100 - 14 - 3 = 83. Now X is 83. Divide X by the number of hits you'd like to take before you reach 100% dodge. 83 /3 = 27.66% mastery breakpoint. 83 /4 = 20.75% mastery breakpoint.

at the end of the day worrying about such trivial breakpoints is just super unimportant compared to choosing the right stats.
    Is it 3%? Wasn't it 4.5%? In any case, you should not subtract that there but instead add it. You gave yourself 17% dodge against bosses.

I agree that it is irrelevant, not completely mathematically tbf (there is a little bump), but more so because you are 50-60% of your time 10% higher thanks to Brew-Stache. Oh, and also we don't need those guaranteed dodges, because we only take 5% of the hits damage

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes is 4.5%, 1.5% per level above you and raid bosses are +3 levels.

And while it's not a true breakpoint, mastery stat DOES get slightly worse if you're just above a breakpoint, and slightly more important if you're just below one.

(104.5 - base dodge) / x = mastery needed to 100% dodge after x hits.
    Last edited by AetherMcLoud; 2017-01-29 at 02:57 PM.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

Thanks for this, dropped a good chunk of haste for more mastery. Now I'm sitting at 22% haste & 31% mastery, compared to the 34% haste and 26% mastery I had before. The gameplay is actually a bit different now that my abilities/energy come up a bit slower, but I'm hoping it'll make a noticeable difference. I just have to stick it out until I get my set bonuses.

Edit: I also replaced all my haste gems with Vers ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
    Edit: I also replaced all my haste gems with Vers ones.
    Why would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Why would you do that?
    Because I had "too much" haste beforehand, so as suggested earlier in this thread I'm getting more of other stats, such as vers and mastery.

Edit: Because I was comfortable with my mastery stat at that point, i just got some vers gems.
    Last edited by Tygerman; 2017-01-30 at 04:50 AM.

Vers does provide magic DR so it's nice to have some.

I did a rough calculation about the value of reaching this so-called mastery 'breakpoint', and it's really pretty weak. I calculated that the value of mastery is 2.5% more at this 'breakpoint' compared to just after the 'breakpoint'.

To make this easier to digest, one should realize that although your chance to dodge increases as you get hit, it becomes highly likely you will dodge before hitting 100% when looking at the overall sequence of swings.

To get a better overall picture of your dodge chance, you factor in the previous chance to dodge into the current dodge %. Let's say base dodge = 13%, mastery = 25%.

Before first swing: dodge = 13%. After first swing dodge = 38%. After the 2nd, dodge = 63%, after the 3rd 88%, after the 4th 113%- OMG I OVERCAPPED!!!
    But the average chance that you will NOT dodge by the 2nd swing is (100-(prior total chance to dodge)(100-(current chance to dodge)/100 = (100-13)(100-38)/100 = 53.9%. The chance to NOT dodge by the 3rd swing is (100-53.9)(100-63) = 20%. 4th = 2.4%.

What this means is that with a base dodge of 13%, and mastery of 25%, there is only a 2.4% chance to NOT dodge by the time you get to the 4th swing. So the likelihood that you "overcapped" and have a 113% chance to dodge a 5th hit is of very little consequence. You can calculate this for various values before and after the so called 'breakpoint', and find that it doesn't make a big difference.
    Last edited by tachycardias; 2017-02-01 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery breakpoints are practically meaningless in Nighthold, and despite how effective it is at damage reduction in M+, it's weak in raid. For most fights, the danger is largely from magic damage (e.g., Krosus' DoT, Star Augur). Can't dodge that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
    Is that a new thing for 7.1.5? Because I've always heard 33.8% is the sweet spot to get KS down to a flat 6sec CD (I think) and that it's the ideal amount of haste you want. If so then sure for I can get rid of some haste.
    Yeah, drop down to 14.3% Haste and divest that stat budget into Vers/Crit. Mastery's not great in NH.