Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New Monitor around $350 USD

Looking to upgrade to a new monitor. Currently running with a GTX 960. Anything at or around $350 USD. Prefer 27 inch, 4k preferred(unlikely probably), or 1440p. Primarily will be used for gaming(BF1, WoW) and browsing the internet. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your time!

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't tell if this kid is trolling or not

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I can't tell if this kid is trolling or not
    No trolling, i realize that 4k is a pipe dream with my current GPU. Now do you have anything to actually add to the conversation or not? If not then please leave your comments to yourself.

Thank you

Acer XH270hu best buy if you want the best of both worlds TNvsIPS

10+ Year Old Account
    You can take a look at BenQ GW2765HT or Dell U2717D (this is a bit higher priced iirc). They're 2560x1440 though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drae58 View Post
    No trolling, i realize that 4k is a pipe dream with my current GPU. Now do you have anything to actually add to the conversation or not? If not then please leave your comments to yourself.

Thank you
    Was replying to the person who replied to you. 4K isn't a gimmick, it is a clear and cut upgrade over 1080 HD. 3D movies are a gimmick. Wii nunchucks are a gimmick. An upgrade is and upgrade.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

You're not going to be pushing anything at 4k with that GTX 960.

However, in addition to what Rem said, i'd add the ASUS PB258Q to the list. Its 2560x1440 and uses the exact same panel the Dell U2717D does. Ive got one on my daily driver here and its been a great monitor for the price (less than 350, often less than 300 on sale).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You're not going to be pushing anything at 4k with that GTX 960.

However, in addition to what Rem said, i'd add the ASUS PB258Q to the list. Its 2560x1440 and uses the exact same panel the Dell U2717D does. Ive got one on my daily driver here and its been a great monitor for the price (less than 350, often less than 300 on sale).
    Slight note, U2515H, different monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    4k is a total gimmick. Human eye can't even distinguish between 3 and 4k anyway and it tends to make CGI glaringly obvious. Stick with 1440p and don't buy into silly hype.

Im pretty sure you also claim that the human eye can't see past 24 frames.

Your shitposts are a gimmick, but 4k isnt.

User was infracted.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2017-01-29 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Slight note, U2515H, different monitor.
    Yep, got them confused.

Deleted
    I'd go for a 1440p IPS 144Hz Screen. 4K is a gimmick right now. Even with a 1080 you can't get solid 60FPS in all Games @3840x2160.

"My shitposts"? Sorry, you must have me confused with someone else. That, or you're baiting. In either case, the ludicrously rude response towards a total stranger warrants a report and block. Good day.
    No, he was absolutely referring to you. The way he did was rather rude, but he is right, 4K is not a gimmick. The human eye absolutely can see the difference. If the CGI is done poorly or your system can't handle 4K, well then yeah, you'll have issues. But 4k is not a gimmick and you can see the difference.

Are we really ready for 4k though? That's another story entirely. For streaming video in 4k, the bandwidth is just not there, and it's not on our end, it's on the providers end. They just can not push 4k streams out to hundreds of thousands of people at once. For gaming, you just need more power than most people can afford to push 4k.

So in a sense you are right, it's typically best to stick to 1440p. it's just your reasons for it are all wrong.

Deleted
    "My shitposts"? Sorry, you must have me confused with someone else. That, or you're baiting. In either case, the ludicrously rude response towards a total stranger warrants a report and block. Good day.
    If you can't notice it then every one can't notice it!

Your limitations are not the limitations of others, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BITBYBIT View Post
    I'd go for a 1440p IPS 144Hz Screen. 4K is a gimmick right now. Even with a 1080 you can't get solid 60FPS in all Games @3840x2160.
    Again, it's not a gimmick. It's a real technology that is absolutely an upgrade. The rest of the hardware needed to push 4k is not there yet, but that does not make it a gimmick.

Saying 4k is a gimmick is like saying the original Crisis was a Gimmick. Just because no current hardware could push the game at max settings did not mean the game was a gimmick. Just meant hardware needed to catch up. Same thing here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Again, it's not a gimmick. It's a real technology that is absolutely an upgrade. The rest of the hardware needed to push 4k is not there yet, but that does not make it a gimmick.

Saying 4k is a gimmick is like saying the original Crisis was a Gimmick. Just because no current hardware could push the game at max settings did not mean the game was a gimmick. Just meant hardware needed to catch up. Same thing here.
    Right now its a Gimmick, because you can't use it in most Games. And when GPUs are able to handle 4K the Monitor will be outdated...

Right now its a Gimmick, because you can't use it in most Games. And when GPUs are able to handle 4K the Monitor will be outdated...
    What do you mean you can't use it in most games? You can use it in alot of games... and what do you mean "when GPUs can handle 4k" they can right now. A 1080 can drive 4k itself, two can provide a stable 60 fps in almost any games. And "outdated" is a relative term, out dated in compared to? Outdated for someone that can keep dumping loads of money on stuff and outdated for someone that just wants it to be at a decent affordable cost are very different. For me I just want 4k monitors to become affordable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    What do you mean you can't use it in most games? You can use it in alot of games... and what do you mean "when GPUs can handle 4k" they can right now. A 1080 can drive 4k itself, two can provide a stable 60 fps in almost any games. And "outdated" is a relative term, out dated in compared to? Outdated for someone that can keep dumping loads of money on stuff and outdated for someone that just wants it to be at a decent affordable cost are very different. For me I just want 4k monitors to become affordable.
    Unless you are running SLI 1080s you can't get 60FPS+ in demanding Games in 4K. Its a waste right now. When GPUs can handle 4K, there will be way better Monitors like 144Hz 4K GSYNC etc. Absolute waste to buy a 4K Monitor right now.

Unless you are running SLI 1080s you can't get 60FPS+ in demanding Games in 4K. Its a waste right now. When GPUs can handle 4K, there will be way better Monitors like 144Hz 4K GSYNC etc. Absolute waste to buy a 4K Monitor right now.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia...clusion-page-2 Issue with this is they don't specify what settings they run at but it proves a point.

There are already 120hz 4k gsync monitors and I believe at CES a 144hz 4k gsync monitor got revealed. Technology is there for the people with the money. Gpus can plenty handle it if you have the money. It isn't a waste 4k monitors look fantastic in games, if you have the money. You can get 60 fps quite easily by simply turning down your settings a little bit. And "Unless you are running sli 1080s" why not? Again 4k is easily doable right now IF you have the money. Saying it's a waste is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You can take a look at BenQ GW2765HT or Dell U2717D (this is a bit higher priced iirc). They're 2560x1440 though.
    Dell U2715H is older but has better and faster display panel (response time).
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2017-01-29 at 06:35 PM.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Deleted
    Tech isn't there yet, not even close. 99% won't fucking pay 1500€ for SLI 1080s and there is no 144Hz 4K Monitor to buy right now!