Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted
    Just back from Gojira.
    What. A. Band.

- - - Updated - - -

New Mastodon's production seems little raw, but I like it.

Deleted

Those chorus riffs tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Have there been any good releases this year so far? I checked every day but I couldn't find anything. What have you guys enjoyed so far in this year?
    Probably not your style but outside of the new MPE, this album came out too and I'm pleasantly surprised. I love the vocals.

Not the track I would recommend from this album, but it's the only one on youtube so it'll have to do.

Can listen to the entire album here though:

https://vk.com/audios-31921428?album_id=82610178

10+ Year Old Account
    Maiden are touring this summer, anyone going? I picked up my tickets on Thursday. Stoked.

Enjoying the heck out of new Great Old Ones and Dumal records. These are really good records.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoonGateClimber View Post
    Maiden are touring this summer, anyone going? I picked up my tickets on Thursday. Stoked.
    I seen them before. Would like to again but they have insisted on playing a venue way outside of Chicago. Not Chicago at all!

The venue Maiden are playing is far as fuck, bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never seen Iron Maiden live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I seen them before. Would like to again but they have insisted on playing a venue way outside of Chicago. Not Chicago at all!

The venue Maiden are playing is far as fuck, bro.
    I live just outside of Portland, Maine, and a lot of bands don't hit Portland on their tours. I was quite surprised when Sleep came up here on their tour last Summer. I almost always have to go to Boston or Worcester, MA for shows. I am so used to it by this point that driving 1.5-2.5 hours for a show doesn't phase me anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I have never seen Iron Maiden live.
    Me neither. I've been a fan since I was a teenager, but I've always somehow missed them. I've seen many of the big classic metal bands, like Priest, Sabbath, Dio and Motorhead, but Maiden have eluded me. I am therefore very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonGateClimber View Post
    I live just outside of Portland, Maine, and a lot of bands don't hit Portland on their tours. I was quite surprised when Sleep came up here on their tour last Summer. I almost always have to go to Boston or Worcester, MA for shows. I am so used to it by this point that driving 1.5-2.5 hours for a show doesn't phase me anymore.
    I go to shows just about 2 or 3 times a month. I don't know how to drive either. So if it's not accessible within the city, I don't go.

When the Maiden tour was announced to be coming back the alert on phone said, Hollywood Amphitheater. And I said, "lol fuck no". That's in the middle of nowhere.

Deleted
    Getting some strong modern Amon Amarth and In Flames vibes from that one. Not necessarily bad but just kind of unremarkable.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, they sound really similar to these guys, if you ask me:
    Well they have 2 tracks that I found really awesome. But none are on youtube, this one is not all that special.

Btw, I like that band, I'll go listen to them

- - - Updated - - -

And this just came out:

Eldamar is just beautiful. Don't know the other band so I have some digging to do!

Deleted
    Went to the record store again today and got myself Primordial's latest. I checked discogs when I got home and found out that it's the mailorder exclusive version limited to 200 copies and I got this one for only 19€, so this is going to stay sealed in shrinkwrap for now, just like my copy of Breach's "it's me god".

I also decided to start to catalogue my, admittedly very small, vinyl collection on my RYM account:
    Spoiler: 

I mean, obviously the vinyl revival might turn out to be a huge bubble and who knows what it even means for a metal album to be limited to only a few hundred copies but I like the idea of owning something limited and potentially valuable.
    That's really nice yeah!

I also have some albums limited to 500 and 200 presses.

And I have a collectors edition box limited to 25 Cost me 85 Euros incl shipping but worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I go to shows just about 2 or 3 times a month. I don't know how to drive either. So if it's not accessible within the city, I don't go.

When the Maiden tour was announced to be coming back the alert on phone said, Hollywood Amphitheater. And I said, "lol fuck no". That's in the middle of nowhere.
    Living where I live, driving is essential. I imagine that theatre is comparable to some of the venues which are in the general Boston area, but not within the city. If you have to travel 30 plus minutes outside the city limits, that's not really the city anymore is it? It's hard to think of venue which is within an hour or Chicago, one of th largest cities in the country, as being the "middle of nowhere", but that's because of my rural mentality. You also go to a lot more shows than I do, so lengthy travel is a bitch. I wish I had acces to some of the shows you mention. Like I said, I usually have to travel pretty far for anything other than smaller "underground" touring bands who play bars.

Deleted
    Of which album?

I was catching up on new releases earlier and found this, I think you might enjoy it:
    https://nyktophobia.bandcamp.com/releases
    Yep. Already listened to Nyktophobia. It's nice, not amazing.

http://music.aephanemer.com/album/memento-mori

Bottom left, collectors box. I'm one of the 25 It's also got some tiny stuff in there, a hand-written letter and a collection of photo's from their recordings and other stuff. I bought his first album when he was just a solo artist for this band (Full-time band now) and he sent me a hand-written letter for that album aswell. Including an extremely tiny glass bottle with a cork containing a little bit of soil from his home forrest. Really cool!

Been following his band since almost day 1, so I had to have it.

Very melodic death metal. Instrumental only, his first album that is.

So it feels very special to me having it.

Also own this album, limited to 500 copies. Very atmospheric doom metal.

Probably have some more rare albums. Slowly expanding my collection. I wish I had more money so I could buy a lot more stuff. I do have a large shirt collection too. And a bunch of other tiny stuff too including guitar picks guitarists used to record their album.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2017-01-31 at 12:37 PM.

Deleted
    I'm gonna check those bands out later. All of my t-shirts are bandmerch and I have a few hoodies and zippers as well. I'm personally not really a fan of brand clothing anymore, so I stick to plain color stuff or metal merch for the most part.
    Same here, I only wear band shirts (Mostly black ofc) and normal pants. I don't look like a metalhead, just normal looking with a love for underground metal

I have a suspicion you might like Synkletos. It's a bit like atmospheric black metal we've seen in this thread the past few pages, except it's doom ofcourse. I still give that album a shot every now and then, doesn't get old.

Aephanemer is probably too soft for you.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2017-01-31 at 03:59 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not a fan of the synths those bands use. They just sound so cheesy to me.

Opposite for me, it's what gives for me a nice atmosphere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tend to avoid threads like this through fear of musical snobbery. That said I feel like an opportunity to boost my friends band is afoot. They had an album out when we used to work together about 10 years ago, which I loved but eventually I think life grabbed hold of them all and responsibility set in when the money didn't come.

Early last year I think they got motivated to put out an EP independently which this is a track from. I've always thought they were really underrated. 152 subs on youtube is criminal I think. It's not such an uncommon thing now but back in the day it was rare for a vocalist to actually sing a lot with harmonies. It's not for everyone but would be nice to see them do well.

https://beyondallreasonrock.bandcamp.com/

Also, been listening to Skyharbor again

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you won't find much love for the kind of music that your friends make in here since most of us are into harsher and/or more underground stuff, though there might be some people that appreciate what they do.
    Didn't take long.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    Tend to avoid threads like this through fear of musical snobbery.
    As you should, I stop listening to bands as soon as their albums have over 100 downloads.

Good for your friends though, I'll listen to their stuff later.

Also I've been gone for a while, did I miss any The Great Old Ones discussion? Their new album was pretty great

Edit:
    Oh new Wintersun album cover is out, it looks cheesy as fuck
    Last edited by Gib Lover; 2017-02-01 at 03:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    As you should, I stop listening to bands as soon as their albums have over 100 downloads.

Good for your friends though, I'll listen to their stuff later.

Also I've been gone for a while, did I miss any The Great Old Ones discussion? Their new album was pretty great
    Casual, I don't even bother checking out releases unless they're on casette only with less than 3 copies.

GOO has been linked a couple of times, it's my AOTYSF.

If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd have thought that was the cover of a new Wilderun album, which is a much better band btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    Didn't take long.
    Can't expect everyone to have the same taste in metal as you broski, I don't expect you to worship old school death metal for example.

Skyharbor is nice btw.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-02-01 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

Can't expect everyone to have the same taste in metal as you broski, I don't expect you to worship old school death metal for example.

Skyharbor is nice btw.
    Which is ironic because I knew who would be first to reply and what they'd say simply by reading the last ten pages yesterday ha ha, no worries though I was laughing about it in the office. It's like a thread full of carbon copies of my boss, who I deal with on the daily grumbling about how thrash was best in the 80's and everything bar a specific niche is shit, buying 3 copies of rare vinyl, 1 to play and two to masturbate over the PVC covers.

You've got to know it's bad when someone speaks for a group and uses the word underground as a type of sound they enjoy.