10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading PC finally!

Hello MMOC!

Tax returns are near! This year I finally decided it is time to upgrade my first ever built PC from like 5-6 years ago.

Current build is as follows:

EVGA 760 SC
    ASUS P8P67 Pro

This build has lasted me this long, and while it is still going strong I really want to get updated. I believe my 760 is on the way out (or it might just be my DaisyChain). So with this years return, it is time!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sDVvNN (UPDATED with a different mobo)

That is what I am looking at right now. I plan to bring over my SSD/HDD over from my old build. All of this will be powering up 3x Dell U2414H's for now until I can sell them and get a single 27' 1440 monitor. Also, there is no CPU cooler because I bought a Corsair H70 a few weeks after building my first PC but never got around to using it so it has been collecting dust.

Is this build solid, or can I save even more somewhere without sacrificing performance?

Only thing is that I would like to keep it color coordinated with the White/Black theme.
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2017-01-28 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you don't have a Skylake CPU that motherboard may not work out of the box with the 7600k. You will want to look for a z270 motherboard to be fully compatible. The CPU also doesn't come with a cooler so you would need to purchase one also. Everything else looks good.

Here is an uploaded list with a decent cooler and a 270 board.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2mpP9W

Edit: Scratch the cooler.
    Last edited by Kyocere; 2017-01-28 at 08:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    Since you don't have a Skylake CPU that motherboard may not work out of the box with the 7600k. You will want to look for a z270 motherboard to be fully compatible. The CPU also doesn't come with a cooler so you would need to purchase one also. Everything else looks good.

Here is an uploaded list with a decent cooler and a 270 board.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2mpP9W

Edit: Scratch the cooler.
    Yeah, I saw that warning in the list. Forgot about it. Thanks for that! Swapped the mobo out for a 270 board that fit well into the color theme.
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2017-01-28 at 08:48 PM.

I have the same CPU and GPU as you, what games are you having trouble with? GPU could be worth upgrading but only if you play the latest games, CPU is honestly not worth touching the money spent would not equate to good value for FPS.

Honestly, you should only buy a GTX 1070 and OC your 2500K for 1440p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I have the same CPU and GPU as you, what games are you having trouble with? GPU could be worth upgrading but only if you play the latest games, CPU is honestly not worth touching the money spent would not equate to good value for FPS.
    Just the newer gen games really. Legion has given my set up some issues too lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Honestly, you should only buy a GTX 1070 and OC your 2500K for 1440p.
    Its already OC'ed to 4.3 right now. It was 4.6 for a couple years until I started getting blue screens last year. Had to tone it down.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any glaring problems with the updated link? Any input is welcome.

I am going to be ordering the mobo/cpu today if there isn't, and then the rest later on when tax return comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafyx View Post
    Just the newer gen games really. Legion has given my set up some issues too lately.

Its already OC'ed to 4.3 right now. It was 4.6 for a couple years until I started getting blue screens last year. Had to tone it down.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any glaring problems with the updated link? Any input is welcome.

I am going to be ordering the mobo/cpu today if there isn't, and then the rest later on when tax return comes in.
    You reallly should not be wasting money on a CPU/board. Yes your system is from 2011 but there have hardly been any gains since then, you are going to get max ~20% FPS gains by spending over 350 dollars for cpu/mobo/ram. You should just buy a video card.

10+ Year Old Account
    You reallly should not be wasting money on a CPU/board. Yes your system is from 2011 but there have hardly been any gains since then, you are going to get max ~20% FPS gains by spending over 350 dollars for cpu/mobo/ram. You should just buy a video card.
    Blah. You are actually making me 2nd guess this lol. 5-6 year old build won't see any big upgrades over my current one just seems frustrating. Can the 7600k really not be an upgrade over a 2500k during 1440 gaming on current gen games?

Blah. You are actually making me 2nd guess this lol. 5-6 year old build won't see any big upgrades over my current one just seems frustrating. Can the 7600k really not be an upgrade over a 2500k during 1440 gaming on current gen games?
    Well of course its an upgrade, but its not going to be a real noticeable difference. To put this in perspective for you, GPU's since 2011 have made at least an 8x performance gains from gtx 480>gtx 1080. CPU's have not even made a 50% performance gain (GPU's are 800% since then). Your money is best spent just grabbing a GPU, unless you have a use for your current PC or give to a relative etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well of course its an upgrade, but its not going to be a real noticeable difference. To put this in perspective for you, GPU's since 2011 have made at least an 8x performance gains from gtx 480>gtx 1080. CPU's have not even made a 50% performance gain (GPU's are 800% since then). Your money is best spent just grabbing a GPU, unless you have a use for your current PC or give to a relative etc.
    After some more thought, and reading around on the 2500k it does seem like I will just be getting the 1070, new case, and more ram.

After some more thought, and reading around on the 2500k it does seem like I will just be getting the 1070, new case, and more ram.
    Good choice. 7600k clock for clock is only 22% faster than a 2500k, really dismal gains for a 6 year time span:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...m-2011-to-2017