Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    When is Quebec getting their independence @Tennisace? Since, you know, they're about as enslaved as Scotland.

If anyone else is reading this, I'm not against Scotland leaving if they want to, but Tennisace is acting as if they're leaving some horrible dictatorship, fighting for their freedom or something.
    That's a good point, losing Quebec will literally cut Canada in half. Canada has been buying Quebec off with money from the oil fields but now that oil money isn't what it used to be how long with Quebec stay? It's not like the US where states can't leave.

http://quebecsovereigntymovement-info.weebly.com/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We voted as the UK on Brexit, not individual Home Nations, so we all leave.
    What is the yes/no percentages of Scotland to Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

62% Remain.

- - - Updated - - -

We voted as the UK on Brexit, not individual Home Nations, so we all leave.
    That's like your opinion man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "United we stand..."shouldn't just apply to the US.
    US unity is seeing some serious cracks.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    That's like your opinion man.
    No, that's how we voted in the referendum. It's a statement of fact, not an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Quebec is part of Canada and benefit a lot more from being part of Canada than Scotland does from being part of the UK.
    Scotland is a part of the UK and benefits a lot more from being in the UK than Quebec does from being part of Canada. For a start the Scottish would have gone bust a number of times, including within the last decade, they aren't very good with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    62/38 http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Where i live voted 72% remain apparently, didn't realise it was that high.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I didn't realise we are enslaved.
    If you're a Scott then you would want to be ruled by a government made up of your people. Independence 101 bud.

Deleted
    If you're a Scott then you would want to be ruled by a government made up of your people. Independence 101 bud.
    Scottish people are in the government... We even had a Scottish PM

Deleted
    Two of the last four Prime Ministers have been Scottish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    EU membership did play a big part in securing the undecided vote and to say otherwise displays a distant understanding of indyref 1.
    I didn't say it didn't play a part, but I pointed out that it was not the only reason.

Go to a Rangers game and ask them if they all voted against independence due to wanting to stay in the EU, we both know you won't find many who accept that.

I think you put too much weight on the support for the Radical Independence movement in Scotland. Yes, they do exist but they are a small minority in the bigger independence movement.
    The link in the OP says a quarter to a third, I have no reason to doubt that is about right and would make perfect sense that many want independence to mean independence.

Not everyone in Scotland is a Tuchter, and as far as i know, every brit south of Perth is a Sassanach. It maybe popularly believed that Sassanach is a derogatory term for the english, but thats only partly true, it also apply to lowland Scots.
    So it is used as a derogatory term for both the English and some Scots then, hardly any better is it? You don't deny that anti-English sentiment played a part for some and I know you won't deny that, because we both know it did.

I disagree. Public displays of english nationalism often comes hand in hand with white supermacism and violence, whereas such displays in Wales and Scotland are linked to British nationalism. But you know what, maybe i struggle to tell the difference between English nationalism and British nationalism in England. Im sure there is a difference but i couldn't define it.
    You're talking about the likes of the EDL, but they are a tiny proportion of English nationalists. Most English nationalists are not very vocal, certainly not as vocal as Scottish ones, but then again we've been told since forever that English nationalism is an evil no-no and it is only very recently that the St George's flag came to be prominent at things like sporting events.

There has been a double standard as to what is acceptable between the members of the Home Nations. I have previously mentioned a very pertinent comment that someone made, that when the Welsh were worried about English people moving to Wales and damaging Welsh culture, the authorities went out of their way to try and protect Welsh culture through legislation and initiatives. Whereas when the English are worried about non-English cultures damaging their culture, the English are called racists and bigots, whose culture is worthless.

Can you explain to me how that works, because I am at a loss? It is especially retarded when you consider that Welsh and English cultures have been intermixed for so long, that moral values and such like are pretty much shared across the board, so it is primarily a language difference, whereas that is not true of some non-English cultures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Two of the last four Prime Ministers have been Scottish.
    Cameron sounds like a Scottish name to me, so make that 3 out of 4

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's how we voted in the referendum. It's a statement of fact, not an opinion.

Scotland is a part of the UK and benefits a lot more from being in the UK than Quebec does from being part of Canada. For a start the Scottish would have gone bust a number of times, including within the last decade, they aren't very good with money.
    Just because they had financial issues in the past doesn't mean that it will happen in the future. Not to mention that these trials and tribulations can be learning experiences for a young nation. At the end of the day, freedom and a national identity will be worth it.

Deleted
    Just because they had financial issues in the past doesn't mean that it will happen in the future. Not to mention that these trials and tribulations can be learning experiences for a young nation. At the end of the day, freedom and a national identity will be worth it.
    Yeah, they can learn to pay for university and medical prescriptions like England does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I don't think that this is reactionary at all. Scotland hasn't seen eye to eye with England since the start of their unification, and increasingly they have lost the ability to rule their own country - this is also true for Wales, Northern Ireland, etc. England has a much bigger population, and therefore any combined governance will always be England first, others second. If this is reactionary, it is a reaction to 1707.
    But what happens if Orkney and Shetland decide they don't want to be ruled by Edinburgh. After all they're basically Norwegian and usually vote Liberal Democrat. It's unfair to expect them to go along with a Holyrood government they didn't choose. Surely it would be right for them to declare independence as well, and take the North Sea oil with them?

And what about the ancient kingdoms of Wessex and Mercia? I mean, they used to exist. And those counties within their ancient territory don't always agree with the ones next to them. It's only fair that they should be independent as well, after all, nobody likes it when Westminster says or does anything.

My point is simply this, that perhaps people should try to work together in the 21st century, and not try to go back to the 17th when we had rival clans on different mountaintops rustling each others cattle. I mean, sure, they were "independent" of each other. But independence is just another way of being small and alone if you take it too far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quebec is part of Canada and benefit a lot more from being part of Canada than Scotland does from being part of the UK.
    Interesting. I think we'd all like to look at your sources, Tenniceface. You do have some, don't you? Remember, this is about the integrity of your posts. If you can't back up what you just posted, people might judge you and what you choose to say.

I wouldn't want you to be judged, Tenniceface. I want you to be right. I want it so much. Please, for all of us, link your sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scotland isn't a young nation, they already have both freedom and a national identity.

I'm not sure why non Canadians British people on here who are not educated on the Canadian British situation are making such sweeping generalization.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Yeah, they can learn to pay for university and medical prescriptions like England does.
    If they hoped to meet EU spending requirements, they probably wouldn't have to worry about medical prescriptions, they wouldn't be able to afford an NHS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scotland isn't a young nation, they already have both freedom and a national identity.

I'm not sure why non Canadians British people on here who are not educated on the Canadian British situation are making such sweeping generalization.

- - - Updated - - -

If they hoped to meet EU spending requirements, they probably wouldn't have to worry about medical prescriptions, they wouldn't be able to afford an NHS.
    That's the point. Once they get independence they will be a young nation. As such it is only natural that there will be ebbs and flows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    And what about the ancient kingdoms of Wessex and Mercia? I mean, they used to exist. And those counties within their ancient territory don't always agree with the ones next to them. It's only fair that they should be independent as well, after all, nobody likes it when Westminster says or does anything.
    The Cantii will rise again! Fuck those Trinovantes, with their fake tan and annoying accents.

Good for them. No one wants to be ruled by the English.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the point. Once they get independence they will be a young nation. As such it is only natural that there will be ebbs and flows.
    I am not sure that going bankrupt will be a great learning experience for the Scottish people, but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    If she did get it, its got a lot more chance of winning this time. Scotland was a lot more pro EU than the rest of the UK (aside from London afaik), its likely Scotland would vote to leave the UK if they were guaranteed EU membership.
    No, the reason it didn't fly the first time wasn't because people wanted to stay part of the UK it was because she was hell bent on kissing the ass of the EU, which is utterly pointless...if you want independence then go independent.
    Everyone i knew was of the same opinion.

If the retarded woman had any sense she would shut the fuck up and let the brexit happen, then wait a handful of years to see how it panned out...as it is now, most of everyone i talk to despise her.