Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Loot spec and legendaries - Playing all three specs equally..

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what loot spec to run with for the future, I enjoy all the specs, so I am looking for suggestions and thoughts.

Disc:
    I pretty much only play disc for heroics and PvP, and the disc legendaries are rather boring imo. So disc is not really an option. We can rule that out at once.

Shadow & Holy:
    I run both for raids and mythic+, depending on what is needed. I enjoy both equally. The only legendary I've gotten so far is Mangaza (One extra charge on Mind Blast). Which I'm happy with of course.

With that in mind, do you guys think I should go loot spec holy or shadow for the future? The remaining Shadow legendaries feel like they don't really add anything other than throughput (or survivability etc). Nothing that really makes a change in the rotation some how, which feels a bit boring. Sephuz would be nice since I mostly run mythic+s. But Sephuz I can get as holy as well, where I could also get the Spirit of Redemption self-ress cloak.

I'm really torn, unsure what to run.. Atm it leans to holy, because that can yield items for both specs.

Please give me your opinions Maybe there are some legendaries I didn't name that are huge increases that I didn't consider?

Thanks.

Deleted
    All the ones that can be used by both specs can be gotten with either lootspec..
    I'd say that sadly you need to chose your mainspec and go with that.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Habix View Post
    All the ones that can be used by both specs can be gotten with either lootspec..
    I'd say that sadly you need to chose your mainspec and go with that.
    Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of how useful they are. For example the best shadow legendary (wrists or shoulders, not sure?) compared to the best holy legendary, what would benefit the most. I suppose it's a rather relative comparison though.

All specs have stronger and weaker legendaries. But it's not like you could choose which one to get, so even if one leg for a spec would be OP and the others are meh, while the other spec has no OP leg but several okish, how could you compare them?
    The "best" you could hope for is to get one of the shared legendaries, but they usually are not the best legendaries you could get for the class.

It strongly depends on what role you play most. If you just heal because there is a healer missing, I would try to maximise the shadow spec. Generally said there is a limit on how much heal is needed in a dungeon, but there is no limit for damage - it just makes the run go faster.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with what you're saying Puri. Regarding your question, which I guess was rethorical, but I'd pick the one with several ok-ish ones, to increase the chances of getting something useful.

The issue with the shared ones, prydaz and sephuz, is that sephuz is pretty useless for holy afaik, but great for shadow in mythics. Where as prydaz would be pretty neat on holy, but kinda meh for shadow.

I'd be happy with either of those though. But that doesn't affect my lootchoice spec either way.

The downside of holy woulbe risking getting the holy belt.. since I already have the shadow belt

And I will only be healing if there's a healer missing, since I enjoy both specs. But that happens quite often since we're somewhat casual

Doing some comparison, it seems that I'd have a 75% chance to get a legendary in shadow specI'd be happy with, where as, as holy it'd be only 44%.

But that is based on me not being able to rank the holy only legendaries to really compare their usefulness. (holy noob).

Basically, I'm starting to realize that I need help understanding the benefit of the holy legendaries.

Cloak - Equip: After Spirit of Redemption expires, you will revive at up to 100% health, based on your effectiveness during Spirit of Redemption. After reviving, you cannot benefit from Spirit of Redemption for 10 min. - Would love this one.
    Wrists - Equip: While above 75% health, the cast times of your Heal, Prayer of Healing, and Smite are reduced by 15%. - Feels kind of meh?
    Ring - Equip: Increases Guardian Spirit's duration and healing bonus by 50% and Guardian Spirit no longer terminates its healing bonus effect when sacrificing itself. - Feels pretty good(?)
    Waist - Equip: If Serendipity is triggered and the Holy Word is not on cooldown, Serendipity increases the damage and healing of your next cast of that Holy Word by 10%, stacking up to 5 times. - Preferably not since I already have the shadow legendary belt, thus wouldn't gain anything from the ilvl increase.
    Legs - Equip: Increases the duration of Renew by 6 sec. - Feels kind of useless. Saves a few globals mana, since you're only really using it on tanks?
    Heal trinket - Use: Increase all healing done by 15% and causes 50% of overhealing on players to be redistributed to up to 3 nearby injured allies, for 10 sec. (1 Min, 15 Sec Cooldown) - Feels pretty good, but maybe more so for disc.. but either way, it seems nice.
    gloves - Equip: When Prayer of Mending heals, it leaves behind Rammal's Ulterior Motive on the ally for 10 sec, causing the next Flash Heal, Heal, or Holy Word: Serenity you cast on them to be increased by 15%. - Feels kind of meh?
    Sephuz - Kind of meh as holy? Great för shadow mythic+ though.
    Prydaz - Okay I suppose, good stats and extra survivability would be nice since I seemed to be dying tons in nighthold as holy

Again, not sure how to really rank those.. Which ones are actually useful?
    Last edited by SirreASDF; 2017-01-25 at 10:11 AM.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've got the cloak, it's amazing. I'd personally value it as the best Holy legendary.

Certainly the argument can be made that it might promote a bad way of playing (such as intentionally killing yourself to be able to free-cast with SoR) but I never actually even had to consider it. If your mana management is okay, you should really never have to consider such playstyles. Having said that, the cloak has certainly helped my raid kill a few bosses. I can recall at least 3 instances with several dead healers and no BRs where the cloak was a literal lifesaver.

Prydaz is honestly amazing too since they changed it. If you check the logs, you see it absorbs just massive amounts of damage. We killed Trilliax Heroic last night, 8 minute fight. Total possible absorb on me was ~14.5 million, actual absorb turned out to be 10.93 million. Sometimes the shield doesn't get used up and such. In any case, Prydaz really does do a lot and it has A LOT of secondary stats on it.

I also have the waist but so far I found it underwhelming. There aren't many situations where you don't use your Holy Words on cooldown. Certainly in raids mine are pretty much always used as soon as they come off CD. Can't really see it being awesome in Mythic+ either, same "problem". Holy Words are always on cooldown.

My last one is Sephuz. It is pretty meh for Holy indeed. There is literally A SINGLE dispellable boss mechanic in Nighthold - High Botanist Tel'arn, Parasitic Fetter. Unless you're specced into Chastise Stun and are able to find a stunable add in a bossfight (there are a few, not a lot), you'll never proc the ring.

Can't say much about the rest as I don't have them. However, I would agree that the wrists and legs don't seem too amazing. The GS ring seems okay, so does the trinket. However, the trinket especially would need testing as to how clumped up your raid has to be for that to be any good, etc.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the input guys!

So, atm I'm thinking of staying shadow loot spec, most shadow specific legendaries are a dps increase, even though it might be small. Prydaz and the vampiric embrace head being the exceptions. But Prydaz stats does make it an increase.. in addition to the defensive bonus. Wouldn't be sad to get it.
    For holy, the only one I reaaaaally want is the cloak. The cloak on the other hand is probably the legendary I want the most.. The healing trinket might be okay as well, but the others feels kind of meh.

But looking on average, I'm having a muuuch higher chance of getting a shadow legendary I'm happy with, compared to a holy one. Shadow has one of eight legendaries I don't want, where as holy has at least four out of ten that I wouldn't "want".

And not to forget, as shadow I don't risk getting another legendary belt, which would be the worst possible scenario seeing as I am usually not getting any legendaries at all

Edit: Bit unsure of the shadow ring, which spreads dots in voidform somehow. Not sure how it works [Edit2: Seems simple enough, first mind flay after entering void form spreads dots..], but I suppose it'd be good for mythic+?
    Last edited by SirreASDF; 2017-01-25 at 11:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    Edit: Bit unsure of the shadow ring, which spreads dots in voidform somehow. Not sure how it works [Edit2: Seems simple enough, first mind flay after entering void form spreads dots..], but I suppose it'd be good for mythic+?
    It was really good pre 7.1.5 where you could hold on to the buff, but now that it spreads with mind flay it's pretty crap to be honest :/ I go with Sephuz over it on almost all NH-fights.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was really good pre 7.1.5 where you could hold on to the buff, but now that it spreads with mind flay it's pretty crap to be honest :/ I go with Sephuz over it on almost all NH-fights.
    Mmm yeah.. ): You're probably right. Still feel it should be somewhat strong on myth+ trash though.

Deleted
    Mmm yeah.. ): You're probably right. Still feel it should be somewhat strong on myth+ trash though.
    It's ok, but i prefer misery + sephuz then.

Side question: What stats do you gear for? Holy needs a lot of crit, which is nice on Shadow - but you need to focus on Mastery in the end. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: I reached the same conclusion as you: I'd love to get the shadow legendaries, whereas the holy ones would only illicit a "that's neat! great ilevel!"-response. So I stay in Shadow loot spec.

And my first legendary turned out to be... the shadow hat. Dwammit.
    Last edited by Ooshraxa; 2017-01-25 at 01:18 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I feel forced to gather 2 gear sets. Only been playing shadow/disc up until recently, so naturally I have a ton of haste gear. In addition I have a couple of pvp items, so got a little bit too much versatility as well.

But it's somewhat balanced either way. Got an 880 mastery stat stick for holy, but need to switch out some haste/versa for crit. Sitting at a disappointing 16% crit or so..

It's ok, but i prefer misery + sephuz then.
    Aye, if I had Sephuz I might have prefered it as well.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You do have to gather two sets of gear. Holy and Shadow just need different stats. Crit is good for both but Holy then favors Mastery next and Shadow Haste. So you can never really have one set for both unless you care to be good at one but crappy at the other.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Legs - Equip: Increases the duration of Renew by 6 sec. - Feels kind of useless. Saves a few globals mana, since you're only really using it on tanks?
    You are underestimating those.
    Take the Prayer of Mending talents and this will give you millions of free healing.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    You are underestimating those.
    Take the Prayer of Mending talents and this will give you millions of free healing.
    Yeah, when I wrote this post I was rather new to holy I fully understand your point now that I've played it a bit more though

Still going for a shadow legendary as second (still waiting..) since I usually go shadow in m+, and only run 1 raid per week tops.