Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post

You mean your opinion of what being American means. If you think there's anywhere near universal agreement in the US on that, you're mistaken.

And, if I may speak frankly, I don't give a hoot for the opinions of non-Americans on that issue.
    There's a majority of Americans that support democratic ideals of voter participation and ensuring the government gives equal protection and enfranchisement to all people in the country. There is also an undemocratic, authoritarian minority that want to nullify/manipulate the federal government for their own destructive ends, and they have been in this country since ratification, continually shifting their language to obfuscate their underlying pursuit of supremacy and disenfranchisement.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

And you can expect a wide variety of opinions, maybe not on this board, it being left of Bernie's left ear ( most of the time).
    Relevant

9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Relevant
    And? Your point is?

I said there would be a variety of opinions.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Hate also comes from a position of powerlessness/fear... it is a weak position to hold.
    Haters don't react well to being called cowards. They instantly shut their cognitive functions down and pretend you never said that. It's pointless, but I absolutely agree with you.

- - - Updated - - -

And? Your point is?

I said there would be a variety of opinions.
    I'm still waiting for anyone to support your idea that America was built on the concept of "America First" and telling me I was wrong about saying America was build on principles like liberties for everyone, tolerance, inclusion and all the good stuff. So, his point is probably the soldier saying that him defending the "muslim" was just him being "a person", ie. everyone would've done the same.

So, I'll wait some more until I hear a wider range of Americans tell me my previous posts have been wrong about what being an American means. What do you think? How long will this take to figure out that you're the vast, vast minority in the USA thinking the way you do?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

/double face palm. The DNC needs to put Valium salt lick at its head quarters. It's like the left has gone full nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a good thing... hopefully we can create a bigger version of the Tea Party, when the Right went "nuts" when Obama won... because he wanted to subsidize their healthcare.
    We? Left or liberal are pejorative terms at this point. If you want to make a case for anything, coming at from the left isn't going to help. For crying out loud, we are bitching about the left for buying books on totalitarianism, while Trump complaining about the press is just par for the course.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

LOL... thankfully we are not in Stalin's Russia yet, where identifying with the left got you jailed or killed.

My family seems to be unlucky when it comes to countries... we fled Russia specifically because of this stuff, and now it is coming to the US.
    It's all your fault.

Thanks, Connal.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    We? Left or liberal are pejorative terms at this point. If you want to make a case for anything, coming at from the left isn't going to help. For crying out loud, we are bitching about the left for buying books on totalitarianism, while Trump complaining about the press is just par for the course.
    all you have to do is rebrand, the left will be the ctrl right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    America won the Cold War, fyi.
    If i see who is currently dominating world politics, i wont be that sure.

Trump seems like the loss of american principles to russian politics.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-01-30 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm not hating, so I have no idea what hate I would project onto you. I'm the one pointing out that one Muslim terrorist (or even a couple thousand or tens of thousands) don't give you the justification to damn the entire religion of 1.5 billion to hell and hate on them. It may give you a reason to hate them. But it's not justified nor morally or ethically acceptable.

- - - Updated - - -
    Putting an immigration ban isn't damming all Muslims, where are you getting this form? I most certainly can judge the entire religion when I don't see any Muslims condemning violent acts. All I can find are online examples which are pretty worthless. Until you can provide some real life examples, I'll leave you to your delusions thinking that there is nothing wrong with Islam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except he's proposed going house to house to deport illegal immigrants.

Except that he's proposed a flat ban on all Muslims entering the United States.

Except he's very much doing what dictators do, which is to sew distrust and undermine faith in the media.

I could go on, the man is not a liberal and has never been. If he's voiced some opinions that line up with liberal opinions, that's fine. He can even still hold some of those opinions. But his actions and words have said otherwise. This is not normal. This is not routine. This is dangerous, and normalizing and/or underestimating this man and his galley of terrifying advisers and appointees is un-American and dangerous.
    No offense but half your post sound very angry and triggered regarding Trump.

When Obama bombed thousands of syrians you were totes ok with it but now that Trump wants to rightfully block them from coming here because many of them might radicalize because of Obamas actions, a line has been overstepped?

Why weren't you and the whole liberals and leftists protesting Obamas actions? Because no one told you to be upset about them ?! Because no rich elite liberals funded protests against him and the liberal media was singing glory phrases despite his disgusting actions?

Give me a break. You guys lost for a reason and a big factor of that was your crying wolf and hypocricy. No one belives you guys anymore and people have rightfully enough.

Deleted
    Our guiding principles on immigration have been enshrined in the statue of liberty as well:

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
    A nice piece of idealist fluff, but nothing to actually base your immigration policy on.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    When Obama bombed thousands of syrians you were totes ok with it but now that Trump wants to rightfully block them from coming here because many of them might radicalize because of Obamas actions, a line has been overstepped?
    Actually, I'm of the opinion that the US shouldn't have been involved in Syria to being with. At most, we should be involved to provide humanitarian aid as part of the larger international community, beyond that we should have no military involvement in their civil war.

And it's not actually been "thousands", at least in terms of those killed by coalition strikes - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-international

And how many Syrian refugee's have been responsible for attacks in the US? I'm curious, because you say, "rightfully" as if it's been proven that they're all a security risk.

Why weren't you and the whole liberals and leftists protesting Obamas actions? Because no one told you to be upset about them ?! Because no rich elite liberals funded protests against him and the liberal media was singing glory phrases despite his disgusting actions?
    Because I'm not responsible for everyone on the left? I mean, I'm more centrist overall though I do lean left. The rest of your post is strawmaning and bullshit.

Give me a break. You guys lost for a reason and a big factor of that was your crying wolf and hypocricy. No one belives you guys anymore and people have rightfully enough.
    Alright champ, but your guy is totally honest and trustworthy. Right? Rrrrriiiiiiggggghhhhhhttttttt?

Deleted
    Except that it has been the guiding light of the country... the leaders are free to change the immigration policy, but they should expect an uproar over it, as is happening now.
    Yes, yes, "guiding light". As I said - fluff. Americans are far too attached to these heroic notions. Also pretty sure America didn't have an open door policy anyway, so invoking that now is pointless.

All nations (should) have the right to decide who they allow in, when, and for what reasons. Mushy gushy crap about taking in the world's homeless and poor is nice, but impractical and unsustainable.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2017-01-31 at 12:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And how many Syrian refugee's have been responsible for attacks in the US? I'm curious, because you say, "rightfully" as if it's been proven that they're all a security risk.
    Maybe there is a correlation between having a lick of them compared to Germany and Sweden and having barely any attacks from them compared to those countries?

Because I'm not responsible for everyone on the left? I mean, I'm more centrist overall though I do lean left. The rest of your post is strawmaning and bullshit.
    Because you are not responsible for the left you specifically did not protest Obama? Sound logic. ( you know I was also specifically asking why YOU didnt protest )
    And the only bullshit here is your denial of the partisan liberal media and the fact that these anti-trump protests get sponsored by some very influential elites.

Alright champ, but your guy is totally honest and trustworthy. Right? Rrrrriiiiiiggggghhhhhhttttttt?
    Well, you guys seem to have a unshakable preconception about your presidents before they even fully start. I mean Obama was given a fucking nobel peace prize for being hyped by the media and now Trump is declared the devil by them.

Forgive me for ignoring your screeching and taking the "wait and see" approach

Maybe there is a correlation between having a lick of them compared to Germany and Sweden and having barely any attacks from them compared to those countries?
    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...rorism/514361/

There you go, some data about where foreign born terrorists come from. The US vetting process for refugee's has largely been successful at keeping out threats, which is why Trump's comments on it are so perplexing. They're not reflective of reality at all, only his deranged fantasies.

Because you are not responsible for the left you specifically did not protest Obama? Sound logic. ( you know I was also specifically asking why YOU didnt protest )
    And the only bullshit here is your denial of the partisan liberal media and the fact that these anti-trump protests get sponsored by some very influential elites.
    No, you were asking me as if I was responsible for the left, at least that's how I read it. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Either way, there was dissent on the left regarding US policy in Syria. There were not protests, but it's not an apples to apples comparison to the current protests going on.

The rest of your post is largely conspiracy theory nonsense, though yes I'm aware that billionaires back "grassroots" movements on both sides of the isle.

Well, you guys seem to have a unshakable preconception about your presidents before they even fully start. I mean Obama was given a fucking nobel peace prize for being hyped by the media and now Trump is declared the devil by them.

Forgive me for ignoring your screeching and taking the "wait and see" approach
    I agree, the Nobel Prize he got was silly, but he at least brought a sense of hope and optimism when it was much needed in the world.

And I don't give a shit what media say about Trump, as far as I'm concerned they've been far to accommodating of his bullshit to begin with. My opinions of Trump are based purely off of what he says and does, and he's easily one of the most dishonest people ever to hold the office of the president, and that's not saying anything about his rampant ethical dilemma's and conflicts of interest.

George Orwell’s classic book “1984,” about a dystopian future where critical thought is suppressed under a totalitarian regime, has seen a surge in sales this month, rising to the top of the Amazon best-seller list in the United States and leading its publisher to have tens of thousands of new copies printed.

Craig Burke, the publicity director at Penguin USA, said that the publisher had ordered 75,000 new copies of the book this week and that it was considering another reprint.

“We’ve seen a big bump in sales,” Mr. Burke said. He added that the rise “started over the weekend and hit hyperactive” on Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Since Friday, the book has reached a 9,500 percent increase in sales, he said.

He said demand began to lift on Sunday, shortly after the interview Kellyanne Conway, an adviser to Donald J. Trump, gave on “Meet the Press.”

In defending a false claim by the White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, that Mr. Trump had attracted the “largest audience ever to witness an inauguration,” Ms. Conway used a turn of phrase that struck some observers as similar to the dystopian world of “1984.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/b...ald-trump.html

9,500%. That's Steam Sale levels of performance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/b...ald-trump.html

9,500%. That's Steam Sale levels of performance!
    for another great read, they should also try animal farm.

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    Putting an immigration ban isn't damming all Muslims, where are you getting this form? I most certainly can judge the entire religion when I don't see any Muslims condemning violent acts. All I can find are online examples which are pretty worthless. Until you can provide some real life examples, I'll leave you to your delusions thinking that there is nothing wrong with Islam.
    Jesus...

http://time.com/4112830/muslims-pari...islam-condemn/
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4677633.stm
    http://canadianislamiccongress.com/m...ate=2005-07-07
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4694441.stm
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b009377b249dea
    http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/ar...nice-860788171
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6734711.html
    http://pewresearch.org/files/old-ass...ns.pdf#page=97
    http://www.soundvision.com/article/w...demn-terrorism

That's just from the first Google page on the search "muslims condemning terrorist attacks"

Among it, a page that will save me literally hours and hours of bombing you with Muslims condemning those attacks:

https://muslimscondemn.com/

That's a page where you can sort by incident and click your way through to the original source documents by a large number of not just any Muslims, but Imams doing the denouncing and condemning, including source texts for actual Fatwas. Yes, because you don't know what that is, that's like the Pope saying abortion is not Christian. It's pretty much what religious people consider the ultimate ruling on Earth.

You'd think at some point the braindead would recognise that. But they're apparently too busy having their head in their asses to notice anything.
    Last edited by Slant; 2017-01-31 at 01:20 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    all you have to do is rebrand, the left will be the ctrl right.
    It's depressing how true the rebranding part is...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    for another great read, they should also try animal farm.
    Animal Farm is a much better reflection for what is happening than 1984. The pigs are starting to walk upright...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi