Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    That's not how the spectrum works.

An extreme libertarian can be an extremist but the polar opposite of an authoritarian. Likewise, extreme left and right views don't have to be inherently tied to authoritarianism.
    According to political compass, I am far-left libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Those are tumblr crazies and they have never had anything remotely close to political power.
    Thanks god for that. Sadly, they're taking a lot of place in higher education, which is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    So, which ones have any power? Becease tumblr has no power.
    If you're under the impression these nutjobs are limited to tumblr, or that, likewise, these far-right nutjobs are limited to /r/the_donald and 4chan, you're strongly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    There is no extreme left in power, especially not in Canada. Even Quebec solidaire is not authoritarian or extreme in any way. Just like we banned Le Pen from speaking, we banned Radical Imams. This should be threated as it is, a single incident.
    Well, Quebec solidaire has used some extremist form of communication (Khadir's girl violent protests, for instance), but yes, we're sincerely very moderate here, which is kind of why I never expected something like this to happen in the first place.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    I currently live in Montreal, and lived in Quebec City for the first 12 years of my life, and I can tell you, Quebec CITY is VERY conservative. I'm not surprised at all that a deranged lunatic opened fire on a mosque. To guys like him, they are "invaders".
    The social tension is really not high in Quebec city. Not in anyway that someones life would be affected enough to become a mass murderer. There like what 4000 muslims in Quebec city too, such an invasion. I agree that theres nothing left wing in Canada has to do with any of that shit. But honestly it seems like the internet pretty much made this guy. When your life is reddit or tumbler and not the outside world, even if Quebec city was paradise, this guy read the world is shit every day enough to think the muslims, feminist and all that stuff is out to get him.

I really think we need to monitor the internet better. This kid was sick.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-01-30 at 11:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There social tension is really not high in Quebec city. Not in anyway that someones life would be affected enough to become a mass murderer. There like what 4000 muslims in Quebec city too, such an invasion. I agree that theres nothing left wing in Canada has to do with any of that shit. But honestly it seems like the internet pretty much made this guy. When your life is reddit or tumbler and not the outside world, even if Quebec city was paradise, this guy read the world is shit every day enough to think the muslims, feminist and all that stuff is out to get him.
    ^

Thank you, I was writing pretty much the same thing.

Radio stations like to create false conflicts between montreal and quebec, but the reality is that beside some childish exchanges, Montreal and Quebec get along very well.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    If you're under the impression these nutjobs are limited to tumblr, or that, likewise, these far-right nutjobs are limited to /r/the_donald and 4chan, you're strongly mistaken.
    We know the far right nutjobs aren't limited to reddit. They're in the white house ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    We know the far right nutjobs aren't limited to reddit. They're in the white house ffs.
    There goes any credibility lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    One of them is (not talking about Trump).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    What would you call Steven Bannon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    According to political compass, I am far-left libertarian.

Thanks god for that. Sadly, they're taking a lot of place in higher education, which is a problem.

Well, Quebec solidaire has used some extremist form of communication (Khadir's girl violent protests, for instance), but yes, we're sincerely very moderate here, which is kind of why I never expected something like this to happen in the first place.
    The US government has Steve Bannon, and the far right also commits acts of terror.
    Where are the far left in power in the west?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet, does Trump . . . or any conservative for that matter, rant about how Fox is "FAKE NEWS!!!!"?
    Putin khuliyo

Man, I really shouldn't have read the first pages of this thread before jumping to the end. Depressing, but predictable.

There's probably some people in this forum who should be on the terror watch lists.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Where are the far left in power in the west?
    Canada's most left-leaning party (NDP) hasn't even ever held Federal power.

The best they've done is provincial.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Man, I really shouldn't have read the first pages of this thread before jumping to the end. Depressing, but predictable.

There's probably some people in this forum who should be on the terror watch lists.
    This forum is pretty mild compared to other dark places on the Internet, don't think you have to worry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Canada's most left-leaning party (NDP) hasn't even ever held Federal power.

The best they've done is provincial.
    In Quebec, too. I know, I voted for them back when Jack Layton was there.
    Google Diversity Memo

10+ Year Old Account
    To put perspective for people. Quebec city murder count for the last 5 years is less than last night body count. There is no tension, divide or civil unrest in Quebec City.
    Well, idk about civil unrest, I remember Laval students out un the streets during the greve to make Uni. free after La Marois was elected

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    I currently live in Montreal, and lived in Quebec City for the first 12 years of my life, and I can tell you, Quebec CITY is VERY conservative. I'm not surprised at all that a deranged lunatic opened fire on a mosque. To guys like him, they are "invaders".

Remind you of anyone we know?

I can't even believe that some conservatives (or the right) would try to blame this on liberals (or the left), this is pure conservative/republican/far right xenophobia "imma fucking kill'em" right here, nothing else to it.

Pretty similar to the guy who killed 9 (I think?) in a black church a while ago (can't remember his name).

But yeah, this is clearly the left's fault... /sarcasm
    Pfff... Québec City is certainly more conservative (not much) compared to Montréal, but it is San Francisco compared to what an American would call conservative. I mean, most people here are for abortion, gay marriage, the so-called "help to die" (which is really euthanasia), don't go to church much, are against death penalty, for public healthcare, agree with the theory of evolution, etc... Yeah, we're so conservative...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Well, idk about civil unrest, I remember Laval students out un the streets during the greve to make Uni. free after La Marois was elected
    Thats a legitimate political position, not demanding to kill or hurt anybody like some BLM rally did. Civil unrest would like when Hockey fans trashed the city. Fortunately Quebec has no team anymore haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes, the Carrées Rouges.

I mostly supported the movement, although I actually supported a freeze, but not free education. So I was a moderate Carrée Rouge.

Although I was against the protests. They almost made me finish one year late because of that -- our college session almost got cancelled. Where I studied, the vote was so tight it was a question of a few votes, in a college of a few thousands people.

Thats a legitimate political position, not demanding to kill or hurt anybody like some BLM rally did. Civil unrest would like when Hockey fans trashed the city. Fortunately Quebec has no team anymore haha.
    Oh god I remember that. Quite frankly I just think they were opportunists who saw a chance to get free stuff rather than real upset hockey fans.
    Google Diversity Memo

10+ Year Old Account
    It was during Rotten-Johnny Charest's last mandate that it took place. Pauline Marois was elected after the strike.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Pfff... Québec City is certainly more conservative (not much) compared to Montréal, but it is San Francisco compared to what an American would call conservative. I mean, most people here are for abortion, gay marriage, the so-called "help to die" (which is really euthanasia), don't go to church much, are against death penalty, for public healthcare, agree with the theory of evolution, etc... Yeah, we're so conservative...
    Actually, you're right. I should have specified Quebec City is more conservative than the rest of the province, but still leagues more to the left than what we, on this board, usually call the right (like the Tea Party).

My bad.
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

10+ Year Old Account
    Not because they didn't try.
    How much did that new stadium cost? I don't live in Quebec anymore and only get info from family nowadays.