Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Vengeance DH - solo soaking H Gul'dan chains

In one of my H-Gul'dan pugs, I came across a 6.6m HP bear tank that said he can solo all chains, even when 'Resonant Barrier' (tank special action button) was on CD.
    Initially I thought he was kidding but he did it every single time using some short CD (maybe mark of ursol + barskin?).

Here is what I'm thinking:

- Gul'dan chains (Bonds of Fel ability) does about 7.7m magic damage on heroic scaled for 20 players (6.2m for 10 players).
    - I have the legendary cloak so using immolation aura (15%) + empower wards (30%) means I can mitigate 45% magic damage on short cooldown.
    - 45% reduction on 7.7m is about 4.2m damage from chains.
    - My hp as an 895 V-DH with 50 traits and flasked-up is about 5.4m HP so if I am fully healed, I should (in theory) survive. Probably die in the following seconds being so low.

Are there any tips/tricks that more experienced players can share on how to solo the chains on heroic, outside 'Resonant Barrier'? Is it even possible for non-bear tanks?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beerhug View Post
    Is it even possible for non-bear tanks?
    Did it as brewmaster since day 1 (without 2PC) without any trouble. In fact, brewmaster should be the best for that strat.

Deleted
    Unless they changed it Damage reduction is multiplicative not additive.But :

You also forgot passive 10%.

Soul barrier also absorbs 1.2-1.4 million with 5 fragments. You might want to use fracture to make sure you have all. As he casts it use soul barrier Asap, with painbringer u'l have another 15% for 4 seconds.I'd advise to Infernal strike break the bonds within those 4 seconds.

You can also use Fiery Brand

If your going to solo it make sure to proc scythe before empowered bonds just in case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meafy View Post
    Unless they changed it Damage reduction is multiplicative not additive.But :

You also forgot passive 10%.

Soul barrier also absorbs 1.2-1.4 million with 5 fragments. You might want to use fracture to make sure you have all. As he casts it use soul barrier Asap, with painbringer u'l have another 15% for 4 seconds.I'd advise to Infernal strike break the bonds within those 4 seconds.

You can also use Fiery Brand

If your going to solo it make sure to proc scythe before empowered bonds just in case.
    Does Brand work? Seeing as the damage being done is from the ability's triggers and not Gul'dan directly
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Does Brand work? Seeing as the damage being done is from the ability's triggers and not Gul'dan directly
    Either way Guldan will be on him within 1-2 seconds. so if he is low from breaking the bonds it will help

Is it even possible for non-bear tanks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceen View Post
    Did it as brewmaster since day 1 (without 2PC) without any trouble. In fact, brewmaster should be the best for that strat.
    I'm doing it as a Paladin with no problems either, Ardent Defender before breaking, prevents death, light of the protector after, you're out of danger zone. I have 1 AD cooldown relic but not sure if that's necessary.

Something to add into the mix of CDs: The legendary cloak "Cloak of fel flames" has a 15% magic damage reduction while immolation aura is active.

Demo wards, 15 from fragments, meta and soul barrier is enough to survive that. The arcway trinket helps also. Just make sure you dont kill anyone by leaping on top of em.

Are there any tips/tricks that more experienced players can share on how to solo the chains on heroic, outside 'Resonant Barrier'? Is it even possible for non-bear tanks?
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...1&type=healing

So easy for us to soak that I find it best for me to be the one and only tank that is taking it when I'm raid leading. Empower Wards + Soul Barrier on every chains, and it was hitting for 4.2m in 19-man (7500 Versatility). We are also the only tank that I am aware of that has such a great gap-closer on a short enough CD that we can break out instantly.

After you take this, you will take 0 damage until you run back into the boss and eat Fel Scythe, so as long as you get a couple heals in the next few seconds, you are fine.
    Last edited by Narabug; 2017-01-31 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narabug View Post

So easy for us to soak

You got Prydaz and Cloak of Fel flames ofc its easy. I found that easy even with cloak only and w/o soul barrier.

Our vengeance tank said fiery brand worked, which should make it easy for anyone with wards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    ive done it every week with just soul barrier+empower wards, fiery brand and/or meta is cherry on top but unneeded

Our tank has done it since week one...honestly didn't even think about how he was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Our vengeance tank said fiery brand worked.
    If that's the case, it makes things so much easier !

Thanks all for your feedback.

Deleted
    once you get the infernal contract any tank can probably solo it no problem.

Ive been solo soaking it with just empowered wards with no issue. I use agi flask, vers food. Take about generally 60% or 70% of my health pool from it

Our bear tank Wej does this every time and has since we started on Guldan, whenever that was. Him getting chains just means the offtank taunts for a moment, until he gets back like 5-6 seconds later. It's super trivial and we've never thought twice about it. Hell, maybe he's the one you saw! Bear tanks are just nuts, every time I have to go Vengeance to cover for an MIA tank I feel so small compared to the bear. I don't even really level up my Vengeance weapon anymore; half because I can't afford to not cap out Havoc at 54 ASAP, and half because I know that even with 20 more points other classes will have pretty big advantages.

This was not the expansion to stop Paladin tanking after almost a decade. Although.. I'm sort of glad I did. As great as they are, I can't get over how dirt simple they are. I'm glad I was a huge Paladin tank on my server when people thought Paladins couldn't MT. It feels like it meant more to be a good tank as a Paladin back then compared to now when everybody and their mother can. I played Prot for about 20 minutes and just couldn't do it; I feel like you'd have to go entirely out of your way to play it wrong. At least Vengeance feels like you really have control over what you're doing.

Aaaaaand end random ramblings.

Thanks for this thread. I MS havoc (which means I'm bad at vengence, or thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) but sometimes have to fill in as tank. On saturday I was tanking him and just using empower wards. I took 10.8m damage from bonds over the course of the fight, and it would drop me to ~10% every time and I'd have to wait to get topped off before we could go pop scythe.

Killed him today finally, took 758k damage total.

Soul Barrier + fiery brand is OP as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    What kind of group sizes are you all soloing these bonds on? We do 30man hc raids and even though i'm geared to the teeth, I'm still a pussy when it comes to the bonds. I usually just let my pally co-tank take most of them because of all his CDs.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...29&end=8664930

There's a log of a DH tank in a 30-man. Looks like it hit for a base of 7.32 million. With Empower Wards, it would have been 5.124 million. Definitely possible with just Empower Wards + Soul Barrier.