Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    Anyone stating they reported 1,000 individual bots in one month is lying and over-dramatizing a situation to get across a point they feel would otherwise not have enough weight to carry it. Now, obviously bots ARE a thing, and obviously the few small sample you linked is there, but why lie? How does that make anyone want to listen to you? Because I guarantee you are not spending every waking hour of your day filling out report forms.

As others said, Blizzard does mass ban waves for this kind of thing every few months. If they banned each and every person who botted every single day, it's all they would be doing 24/7. Not to mention as someone already pointed it, continuously banning people doing one thing only draws attention to it. A larger, more vague ban for ALL botters in all situations gets rid of the same amount of bots and doesn't draw attention to exactly what they were botting for.
    You saw I posted image as proof. So how does it feel to call someone a liar and then turns out that he speaks the truth? Shouldn't you apologize to me?

Anyways, names and picture is now removed by admins.
    You can lock this thread too. It wasn't really what I expected. Very negative thread and bots got more support than than those who wants to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrxz View Post
    You saw I posted image as proof. So how does it feel to call someone a liar and then turns out that he speaks the truth? Shouldn't you apologize to me?

Anyways, names and picture is now removed by admins.
    You can lock this thread too. It wasn't really what I expected. Very negative thread and bots got more support than than those who wants to get rid of them.
    You mean people telling you how the system works is "supporting" them? Stop trying to play the victim card because it won't work. Also your stuff was removed because it was naming and shaming which is forbidden here.

You have been told countless times why it is done the way it is and how. If you want to ignore that then so be it but it doesn't change the facts.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-01-31 at 12:17 AM.

Blizzard tends to do the bans in waves... 3 or 4 a year?... Maybe?...
    Think the exceptions are when they are being reported doing insane things like fly hacking in BG's or something.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Blizzard tends to do the bans in waves... 3 or 4 a year?... Maybe?...
    Think the exceptions are when they are being reported doing insane things like fly hacking in BG's or something.
    Don't bother. OP consistently ignores this little fact.

They do ban waves, which is stupid as fuck.

Imagine if we did 'arrest waves' irl.

For 6 months straight, crime goes unpunished. Murderers run rampant, people selling cocaine to children, people raping each other in the street.

Then on June, everyone gets arrested. For like 3 days, the streets are clean. (in wow they just make new accounts)

Then 6 months later, they all get released (unbaned) and continue.

my brain hurts at the logic behind this dumb move

Then theres the people that just don't get banned. I personally have spoken to an ex-Envy raider who sells boosts constantly, bots constantly and wintrades constantly. I've reported him well over a dozen times in the 5 years hes been doing it (since cataclysm)

NO BAN

Blizzard basically has a 1st line of defense. If you get past that 1st line of defense, you are totally free to use any hack you want. Its a bit like walking into an air port, getting past the metal detector gate and just unloading guns on everyone. Will the security guards do anything? Hell no. Their job is to maintain the metal detector. You got through? Sorry, not my job.

one of the worst anti-cheat systems i've seen.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2017-01-31 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post

For 6 months straight, crime goes unpunished. Murderers run rampant, people selling cocaine to children, people raping each other in the street.

Then on June, everyone gets arrested. For like 3 days, the streets are clean. (in wow they just make new accounts)

lol.. Your brain should hurt for just how stupid that analogy was..

Banning in waves like this, is the most effective way to handle it..

By flagging bot account when reported, they can collect information about how excatly the bots work.. Then they can ban EVERYONE using those bots, instead of only banning the few bots that get reported..
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-01-31 at 12:22 AM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

It's actually more analogous to drug stings. They mark all the users/movers/enforcers, only immediately arresting (banning) those who are committing violent crimes (extreme hacking). Then, once they feel they've marked enough targets, including the dealers, they take them all down in one giant sting. That way, they don't have a chance to salvage/redistribute any of their goods/money and if anyone else wants to start dealing in that neighborhood they have to start fresh with zero help from the old crew.

It makes sense for combating RMT, as not only do you nail all the farmers, you also wipe out all the gold on the mules before they have a chance to try to scatter it around onto different accounts.

For regular bot control though, you're right it's extremely slow. I guess Blizzard's priorities are still fighting RMT.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Does it matter? How does someone doing 5000 Mogushan runs affect your gameplay?
    Actually, yes it does. Ignoring how botting isn't solely being done to run old raids and dungeons, which usually is used to collect huge sums of golds over a relatively short time thus contributing to inflation and devaluing the gold for everyone else. It does affect people negatively.

There's very few things, outside of possibly Archaeology I could think about of the top of my head that does not negatively affect other players in WoW or most multiplayer games for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    Anyone stating they reported 1,000 individual bots in one month is lying and over-dramatizing a situation to get across a point they feel would otherwise not have enough weight to carry it.
    Maybe they used a bot for reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post
    lol.. Your brain should hurt for just how stupid that analogy was..

Banning in waves like this, is the most effective way to handle it..

By flagging bot account when reported, they can collect information about how excatly the bots work.. Then they can ban EVERYONE using those bots, instead of only banning the few bots that get reported..
    Or just buy honorbuddy and reverse engineer it? Seriously this is basic shit.

When the germans started laying down magnetic mines in the british channel, we didn't just send ships continously in to be destroyed so we could 'collect information'

we got one of the mines, reverse engineered it and created a way to sweep the things.

Now back in reality, this isn't a war - its a game. You can just buy the damn thing and reverse engineer it. Woah!

7+ Year Old Account

Then theres the people that just don't get banned. I personally have spoken to an ex-Envy raider who sells boosts constantly, bots constantly and wintrades constantly. I've reported him well over a dozen times in the 5 years hes been doing it (since cataclysm)

NO BAN

Blizzard basically has a 1st line of defense. If you get past that 1st line of defense, you are totally free to use any hack you want. Its a bit like walking into an air port, getting past the metal detector gate and just unloading guns on everyone. Will the security guards do anything? Hell no. Their job is to maintain the metal detector. You got through? Sorry, not my job.

one of the worst anti-cheat systems i've seen.
    except that is how alot of cops do it, instead of catching every single drug seller, they will gather information and use that to get MASSIVE drug stings, meaning much more caught, and cut off at the scource

if every bot got baned right away they woudl easily know to change their system to change how its detected, meaning blizz wouldent be able to get as many caught
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

You can probably get away with it for 6 months or so, until they finally ban you for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    except that is how alot of cops do it, instead of catching every single drug seller, they will gather information and use that to get MASSIVE drug stings, meaning much more caught, and cut off at the scource

if every bot got baned right away they woudl easily know to change their system to change how its detected, meaning blizz wouldent be able to get as many caught
    except blizzard can easily obtain the bot software themselves, the cops don't have a notebook with literally every drug dealer and all of their contacts in it.

I'm sure SOMEONE at blizzard can reverse engineer a simple piece of software

7+ Year Old Account
    Or just buy honorbuddy and reverse engineer it? Seriously this is basic shit.

When the germans started laying down magnetic mines in the british channel, we didn't just send ships continously in to be destroyed so we could 'collect information'

we got one of the mines, reverse engineered it and created a way to sweep the things.

Now back in reality, this isn't a war - its a game. You can just buy the damn thing and reverse engineer it. Woah!
    lol you are some massive kinda stupid

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-01-31 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpbladez View Post
    You can probably get away with it for 6 months or so, until they finally ban you for a week.
    No mate they ban you for 6 months, typically about 2 months after a major patch. So you'll be unbanned right as the new patch arrives (With all of your botted gold, items etc intact)

The more you think about the process, the more harmful to Blizzard and more stupid it sounds.

Seriously, I know multiple botters that do this EVERY new patch cycle. They bot for months on an alt account, trading it to their main, get banned and stop playing the game for a few months on both accounts, then just come back and start up both their bot (now unbanned) and their main acc.

- - - Updated - - -

lol you are some massive kinda stupid
    Great retort. Completely obliterated everything I said.

FelPlague wins!

7+ Year Old Account
    No mate they ban you for 6 months, typically about 2 months after a major patch. So you'll be unbanned right as the new patch arrives (With all of your botted gold, items etc intact)

The more you think about the process, the more harmful to Blizzard and more stupid it sounds.

Seriously, I know multiple botters that do this EVERY new patch cycle. They bot for months on an alt account, trading it to their main, get banned and stop playing the game for a few months on both accounts, then just come back and start up both their bot (now unbanned) and their main acc.

- - - Updated - - -

Great retort. Completely obliterated everything I said.

FelPlague wins!
    thank you :3

thank you :3
    I guess this is how you post 5.5k times in a year. By having nothing to say and nothing to add but posting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Yeah sorry but your whole statement is just flat out wrong and or delusional.

Botters use stolen credit cards? I am sure some do. Most botters are real human beans, just look at their forums. It's not like 500k people are all "hackers," stealing CCs to pay for their WoW addiction. Completely false and unrealistic perspective of the situation.

This line right here specifically:

This is so detached from reality is hurts my eyes to read it.
    First of all, if Blizzard really wanted botters gone, they would have permanently banned all 100k accounts in that massive ban wave. Did they? No. Why? Because they make money off every single active account.

Do you read anything that you type? Banning bots is ineffective? Wow.
    Oh yeah, xxxxbuddy has been the primary WoW bot for years and years.How is that working out for them? It's still up and running and their botting community is as massive as ever.
    I see no evidence to support your stance, whereas what I've said is straight from Blizzard.

And yes, banning bots is totally ineffective. They just make new accounts and continue botting. It is far more effective to break the bot itself. However, because botting is so lucrative, the people behind the bots will change them to get around Blizzard's efforts, in a neverending cycle.

And no, no company wants to make money off of people who are driving away their other customers, because that means less money in the long run. Thinking that they allow bots to keep running just because they're paying only shows how incredibly ignorant you are.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's a guy on my server that moves from mailbox to the auctioneer following the exact same path for all day excluding raid time since MoP. And guess what? He paused his routine right after the famousbotprogramgoeshere banwave of November.

The only people ending up with permanent bans are people purchasing a new account and botting 24/7 farming current content materials (lots of people wandering around, lots of reports).

As a programmer who did all of the following:
    1) Caught and analyzed bots in another MMO as admin.
    2) Wrote automatic casting priority for other games where it is allowed (hello, Runes of Magic).
    3) Wrote automatic casting priority in Classic when it was allowed by API.
    4) Wrote automation stuff in current WoW where it is still allowed by API - see Garrison Mission Manager.

I still DO NOT get why can't they ban them faster. What is there to "study"? All the internal WoW bots - those that run alongside the running game - I heard about over years are pretty much the same - they either break secure Lua execution lockdown by freezing flag or patching function that manages it or hook into some specific WoW internals. What is there to "study" over time? The hooking is same no matter how long you look at it. I don't know if Blizzard grabs this data with alleged Warden, but if they do - they only need one dump, if they don't - then there's just nothing to study at all.

Behavior? Pretty much all bots I've seen are routine based - they're fed list of stuff to do and they do it in circles, like:
    register account, activate boost, endlessly run Mogu'shan until account is baned, while sending all earned gold somewhere. It won't change no matter how long you look at them! You've seen it once - you've seen it all. It is EXACTLY why people frustrated about lack of bans - it is not changing and therefore painfully obvious to anybody who sits near entrance and sees hundreds of Level 100 Druids like Adoiusdfhg or Gfsoduiyo pop out for a moment, reset it and run back in.

So, what exactly is there to study?
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2017-01-31 at 03:12 AM.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.