Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Relevant as in bragging rights. Albeit Aetish came in use for clearing Kara and even into some of the early SSC and TK, as T3 > some of that gear.

ICC and DS were both out for such a grotesque amount of time and through such an amount of nerfs - that you could PuG them - Albeit i do agree with that the gearing of months was a factor for BC and Vanilla.

However, i do not entirely agree with that the difficulty stemmed largely from gearing even if it was a big factor - I'd say that the mechanics overall of some of the older fights were just very unforgiving compared to what we see today. A lot of the most notorious fights, did not come down to gear checks, but actual skill checks (Such as Vaelstraz with Burning Adrenaline) - where the mechanical difficulty still is rivaled today in some fights (Archimonde with the Soul absorption effects in Hyjal, The Lich tomb on 2-3sec for 100% - 0%)

But of course, for every such fight, there was the gear check (Nef with Onyx cloak, Patchwerk (lol), 4 HM, Sapphiron, Huhuran, Vicidious (Spelling and genuinly funny that Blizz was like "Frost dmg, you gotta haz it", top kek)

Overall, The older game was just a lot more unforgiving, but it had it's charm, i'll admit, albeit i never really did do Naxx or SW, i did all the other content tho, basically

- - - Updated - - -

Boss gotta die first ; But months of gearing 40 people is not something you'd understand the work behind.
    The vanilla raids were very largely about grinding out the proper resistance. Get the fire resist for MC, that nature resist for AQ, that ice and shadow resist for Naxx.

Then of course in TBC a lot of the content was legit over tunned (to the point of being impossible untill nerfs in SW) or even bugged. Mechanicly, the fights then were very simple, it was mostly getting enough people with the right gear in the right place, and the occasional mechanic that required you to group them.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    The vanilla raids were very largely about grinding out the proper resistance. Get the fire resist for MC, that nature resist for AQ, that ice and shadow resist for Naxx.

Then of course in TBC a lot of the content was legit over tunned (to the point of being impossible untill nerfs in SW) or even bugged. Mechanicly, the fights then were very simple, it was mostly getting enough people with the right gear in the right place, and the occasional mechanic that required you to group them.
    Overtuned? Idk what you mean, hahaha, i mean, Kael'thas and Vash'j was just about gitting gud kappa

I kinda miss the TBC days, but man, those days when one would churn raids and just durdle with a guild is loooooong gone :P I've gone toooooooo old for that shit, kinda makes me sad, oh well

Val'anyr was already the downfall of Legendaries

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    used to have to work towards getting a legendary. slowly got easier and easier and now what should be the most prestigious items in the game are randomly generated.

sad.
    Hmm, for me, it is a long spread of choices. I've never felt they had relevance if they were just a drop. I've always thought it would be cool to explore some story etc, and then obtain it.

- - - Updated - - -

Boss gotta die first ; But months of gearing 40 people is not something you'd understand the work behind.
    Well, I did all that, and I still didn't find it legendary to one day be all like, "oh, look, a legendary loot piece!"
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post

When this guy appeared to give freebie cloaks to everyone.
    This 100%.

I wish they didn't decide to cater to everybody and give each class their own legendary. It was better when it was unique and geared towards the specific classes that it was for. Rogue daggers were awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fynzie View Post
    Val'anyr was already the downfall of Legendaries
    Val'anyr was fine and a much better solution to legendary items than being really really rare drops. They reason that the TBC legendary items didn't have cool quest lines associated with them was the fact that they realized players didn't like to have to farm extremely low drop rate items and then have to do extra work. Wrath legendaries removed the low drop rate factor and added in a system of "You will eventually get it but it's sorta RNG on how fast" and then added back the really cool quest lines. Honestly the best legendary item was the rogue daggers and that was largely due to how awesome the quest line was being tailored to one class only.

MoP was when they got easier to acquire, but they never lost their relevance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legendaries in Vanilla and TBC were a lame RNGfest. One guild on our server (the realm 2nd guild) had 3 thunderfuries by AQ opening, meanwhile the server's top guild had 0 and had to make do without.

In Wrath and Cata, they became a dramafest, where you had to make the decision who gets the thing and funnel them stuff for their guaranteed legendary, while other people had to miss out on the fun. Then there was the fun of poaching in DS where everyone who got a staff was a target for guilds stuck on heroic Spine.

Finally in MoP and WoD they became trivial, since everyone had one, though at least everyone got to experience the quest chain as a major part of the expansion's story, they weren't special any more and were just an expectation.

I've never been happy with how legendaries have fit into the game. I think the game is better without them, or with them as purely cosmetic or "fun" items rather than power increasing.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    100% correct. When everyone gets something it's no longer special.
    Because you could just get it, right? There was no effort involved? Like a long ass questline having to collect million foozels over several patch cycles?
    Like there wasn't pages and pages of whining when they made a world boss exclusive to 'cloak owners only'?

Well ok, my memory must be failing me then. I seem to remember people complaining about that.

But you're saying you love the current system that really makes you work for your legendaries? The 24/7 Maw grind and rerolling your chars when a "shit legendary" drops?

Ok then, but I seem to remember seeing 3-4 daily shitposts complaining about the current system? Like the OP in this thread.

Or are you saying you loved the original system where one or two people on the server got the damn thing - if they were lucky enough to have the DKP pooled when the thing (randomly) dropped?

Because I can remember the whining back then - and that's basically why Blizzard started changing the system. Because players complained?

Maybe you can elaborate a biit?

10+ Year Old Account

Well, technically not freebie, at least you had to put a little work in to it. Better than RNGdaries.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    alot of whining but no one has been able to provide logical evidence to show legendaries have any relevance
    What does relevance mean to you?
    noun
    the condition of being relevant, or connected with the matter at hand:
    Some traditional institutions of the media lack relevance in this digital age.
    I mean, legendary items has always been relevant. You don't think they are relevant in legion? You mean that their relevance is bound to how few can get it? I guess that's a fair point. I'd say that they're relevant until people don't need them for whatever they're playing.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

I think it was in cata end of wrath. But thats just me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, technically not freebie, at least you had to put a little work in to it. Better than RNGdaries.
    You mean when LEGENDARY ment the actuall rarity not just color of the item?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    What does relevance mean to you?

I mean, legendary items has always been relevant. You don't think they are relevant in legion? You mean that their relevance is bound to how few can get it? I guess that's a fair point. I'd say that they're relevant until people don't need them for whatever they're playing.
    I think the question that is really being asked (and by many discussed) here is "What point in WoW did legendaries lose make-me-a-special-snowflake status" and really, the true subtext is "Please remove the legiondary system because I don't like it because I didn't get my throughput legendary but that other guy did and does more dps/heals/tankings now"

Legendaries are as relevant as they have never been before, because they are so ubiquitous. But they're "just" a step up from epics (which are just a step up from rares, because I know somebody is going to complain), with the addition of special effects that previously were limited to trinkets or set bonuses.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

However, i do not entirely agree with that the difficulty stemmed largely from gearing even if it was a big factor - I'd say that the mechanics overall of some of the older fights were just very unforgiving compared to what we see today. A lot of the most notorious fights, did not come down to gear checks, but actual skill checks (Such as Vaelstraz with Burning Adrenaline)
    How was Burning Adrenalin a mechanic that needed a lot of skill? I mean the casters that got it just ran out of range of the group to prevent blowing up the raid, as soon as out of range go do some big dick dps / healing and not long after they would just die. For tanks you would just have a rotation where Tank 1 Would start building threat, tank 2 would start building threat a few seconds after tank 1, tank 3 a few seconds after tank 2 and tank 4 a few seconds after tank 3 and as soon the boss would hit 20% all tanks would be spamming full rage executes due to essence of the red. Not a whole lot of skill involved there.

Deleted
    I would actually say it's the other way around.

Before MoP, when everyone could farm one, regardless of class, they were hardly a relevant factor.
    Basically the only thing they displayed was:
    - I was lucky enough to be the right class
    - I was lucky enough to get the drops needed to obtain one
    - I was persistent enough to keep doing the same thing over and over again to (see point above)

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Nice examples.

Nothing wrong with everyone having a chance to get them.
    Everyone always had a chance to get them.

Here's how: get off your ass, learn how to play, join a raid, kill bosses.

MoP, WoD, and now Legion has just made them welfare. They're completely meaningless now.

Lol at the people saying MoP not realizing the questline was very similar to one getting caster staff in Firelands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbac View Post
    Lol at the people saying MoP not realizing the questline was very similar to one getting caster staff in Firelands.
    in mop everyone one could do it through lfr, that's why it lost it's relevance.... think before you speak

10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaria, obviously since it was the reward from the major questline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by jpedrote52 View Post
    in mop everyone one could do it through lfr, that's why it lost it's relevance.... think before you speak
    No that's why it lost prestige.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would call legendaries pretty damn relevant today.